Diablo® III

People being banned for using Linux....

Which is not supported, and classified as 3rd party to make it work.

Does me defending Windows even if ever so slightly, bother you? If so I am extremely sorry for my harash actions against you and I hope in the future we can look past this barrier set between us.

We all know what was implied. Its like someone trying to defend a really sarcastic remark by saying that the actual words meant something else.

Even if you aren't that kind of person, I still can't stand people who act stuck up over the act of using Linux. Like using it automatically puts you 1 notch higher on the intelligence meter or something over those that don't. Kind of like console wars

Amen, many Linux users suffer superiority complex because they use Linux...

Does me defending Windows even if ever so slightly, bother you? If so I am extremely sorry for my harash actions against you and I hope in the future we can look past this barrier set between us.

We all know what was implied. Its like someone trying to defend a really sarcastic remark by saying that the actual words meant something else.

Even if you aren't that kind of person, I still can't stand people who act stuck up over the act of using Linux. Like using it automatically puts you 1 notch higher on the intelligence meter or something over those that don't. Kind of like console wars

No it may appear that way because of the ignorance being thrown at me by the users of this forum today, but dont let my arrogance against assumption filled haters cloud ur opinion of me. Its not my fault they decided to argue with me about things they dont have the slightest clue about. I know many windows users who complete squash me at what I do, its irrelevant what OS I chose to use, its irrelevant what OS these haters decide to use. It doesnt make them any less dumb.
06/25/2012 03:10 PMPosted by Mercymizery

which every windows driver in exzistance falls into that catagory.. Uninstall your video drivers and see how well ur game plays.. Uninstall your keyboard mouse drivers see how far that gets you lol..

Quit trying to justify it..

I don't have to 'justify' anything. You are comparing an apple and an orange. But go ahead. It clearly states on the box.
06/25/2012 03:10 PMPosted by Mercymizery

which every windows driver in exzistance falls into that catagory.. Uninstall your video drivers and see how well ur game plays.. Uninstall your keyboard mouse drivers see how far that gets you lol..

A device driver is not an application and all drivers on windows have to be signed by Microsoft, twist all you want... it is a completely different situation
Unless you are running the game in Windows (whether natively or through a VM), Blizzard has every right to do what they did. Harsh, I know. Do I support their actions? No.

So, I take it you're probably playing through Wine (or something based on it, like Crossover or Cedega). Well, most of us know that Wine is a re-implementation of the Windows API. It is not Windows, nor is it a supported implementation by Microsoft or Blizzard.

Blizzard says the game runs on Windows and OS X. Wine is not Windows. No matter how perfectly or nicely it implements the Windows API, it isn't Windows.

I do wish your friends get unbanned. I'm a pretty big Linux fan (but long since switched to OS X) and do wish to see Wine and other similar software be allowed, especially if D3 already runs in Wine it's a good sign that they were careful to write the game in a way that it wouldn't easily break in Wine.
06/25/2012 03:13 PMPosted by GeorgiaNuts

A device driver is not an application and all drivers on windows have to be signed by Microsoft, twist all you want... it is a completely different situation

The only real difference being what? The PE on the front of the data? The same PE that is being "emulated" by windows os? the same PE that wine is interpretting in linux space? you mean that one right? ok good I thought you might actually have a point but apparently you dont. phew close one.
Unless you are running the game in Windows (whether natively or through a VM), Blizzard has every right to do what they did. Harsh, I know. Do I support their actions? No.

So, I take it you're probably playing through Wine (or something based on it, like Crossover or Cedega). Well, most of us know that Wine is a re-implementation of the Windows API. It is not Windows, nor is it a supported implementation by Microsoft or Blizzard.

Blizzard says the game runs on Windows and OS X. Wine is not Windows. No matter how perfectly or nicely it implements the Windows API, it isn't Windows.

I do wish your friends get unbanned. I'm a pretty big Linux fan (but long since switched to OS X) and do wish to see Wine and other similar software be allowed, especially if D3 already runs in Wine it's a good sign that they were careful to write the game in a way that it wouldn't easily break in Wine.

All of their games have run in Wine. I've known people who only played WoW using Wine.

No it may appear that way because of the ignorance being thrown at me by the users of this forum today, but dont let my arrogance against assumption filled haters cloud ur opinion of me. Its not my fault they decided to argue with me about things they dont have the slightest clue about. I know many windows users who complete squash me at what I do, its irrelevant what OS I chose to use, its irrelevant what OS these haters decide to use. It doesnt make them any less dumb.

stupidity like igornace comes in all forms reguardless of which os they use to post it under.

Well for one, stupidity and ignorance have two totally different meanings. Stupidity can never be 'like' ignorance.

stupidity [stjuːˈpɪdɪtɪ]
n pl -ties
1. the quality or state of being stupid
2. a stupid act, remark, etc.

ig·no·rance (gnr-ns)
n.
The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.

Neither of which apply here. Both of which, as I read more, apply directly to your last few posts. Drivers = 3rd party. (2) a stupid, remark. and drivers are a 3rd party program, leading it self to, The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed. Take your pick sir.
Edited by Mance#1891 on 6/25/2012 3:19 PM PDT

The only real difference being what? The PE on the front of the data? The same PE that is being "emulated" by windows os? the same PE that wine is interpretting in linux space? you mean that one right? ok good I thought you might actually have a point but apparently you dont. phew close one.

Being that Wine is 3rd party a device driver is 1st party, is signed by Microsoft and is clearly meant that way as per the agreement regarding 3rd party tool usage. Clearly you know what is meant by the agreement you agreed to, to play the game so trying to be pedantic about things isn't going to change the fact that in the eyes of Blizzard device drivers are not 3rd party tools and Wine apparently, considering the bans, is considered a 3rd party tool.
90 Undead Rogue
charge back on CC/bank = auto win against blizzard
06/25/2012 03:07 PMPosted by GeorgiaNuts

Your video card driver is also a third party tool, and you can't play without it. Your argument is irrelevant.

Twist all you want, device drivers are not third party tools. They are developed under the WDF in windows at least and are not a application. Wine is an application.

It does not matter if it's an application or not, there is no difference. Wine is just :
- A free rewrite of DirectX (and other libs)
- A .exe parser (because executables do not have the same format on linux)

It is not a cheating program, neither a third party tool (not more that your graphic driver). Diablo III runs well with it. I would be interested to know what can trigger their anti-cheating software.

Blizzard does not want to make a Linux version of the game, that's ok. But people who pay 60€ and who get banned for life for playing on Linux, I'm sorry but that's a shame if they are not trying to cheat.

I'm the author of PlayOnLinux project, there are thousands and thousands of people playing with PlayOnLinux (more than 30000 just for Diablo III). I would like to know who get banned and why, so people please read that : http://www.playonlinux.com/en/commentaires-1068.html.

Thank you

Being that Wine is 3rd party a device driver is 1st party, is signed by Microsoft and is clearly meant that way as per the agreement regarding 3rd party tool usage. Clearly you know what is meant by the agreement you agreed to, to play the game so trying to be pedantic about things isn't going to change the fact that in the eyes of Blizzard device drivers are not 3rd party tools and Wine apparently, considering the bans, is considered a 3rd party tool.

In the eyes of blizzard Linux isnt a 3rd party tool either, google it. The same difference here applies to that list of unsupported video cards on the windows specification requirments. You can get unheard of results that warden will find faulty, they didnt design warden to own linux it just is, they didnt design it to own innocent windows/mac users either, but it has. The fact isnt about blizzards current policy on linux users its about there future one, they havent made an official announcement changing there past stance on this. You can fight battles of words all day in this forum you arent blizzard, blizzard has made statements on linux in the past thats all we have to go off of. Just like in every other game warden isnt working exactly as intended on release, it is up to blizzard if they fix there code or not. Time will tell.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]