Diablo® III

People being banned for using Linux....

wine is an api for linux that allows windows games/app to run under linux, its basicly a ported version of directx and other win32 instructions

sux that useing linux can get ur account banned
and since the mac OS is base around the unix os, and linux is base around unix as well, i dont know why they didnt include a native linux client
mac os uses opengl for its 3d graphics, so does linux
it wouldnt of taken them much to release it natively for linux
Maybe you should put in a ticket or call customer service to deal with the issue. Whining about it here isn't going to help you.
wine is an api for linux that allows windows games/app to run under linux, its basicly a ported version of directx and other win32 instructions

sux that useing linux can get ur account banned
and since the mac OS is base around the unix os, and linux is base around unix as well, i dont know why they didnt include a native linux client
mac os uses opengl for its 3d graphics, so does linux
it wouldnt of taken them much to release it natively for linux

yeah wouldnt have taken much indeed. I hope with some big names like steam etc getting involved in linux lately that maybe blizzard and others will start following suit.

@kwami: there is no whining and no ticket can be made because I havent been banned yet......
Edited by HackeZ#1819 on 6/25/2012 11:14 AM PDT
06/25/2012 10:55 AMPosted by HackeZ
I have about 40~ ish friends who were banned from Diablo 3 play for using "3rd party programs" when all they were doing was using linux. If I am going to be banned when I am playing the game legitimately after gaming for 400 hours almost I would like a refund before I waste further time. Is there any discussion or some rule against using linux as your operating system?

Do you really expect us to believe that you personally know 40 people who use Linux?
40 friends that use linux? how do you make it past all the hot girls to get another twinkee out of the fridge?
06/25/2012 11:16 AMPosted by ProTactX
I have about 40~ ish friends who were banned from Diablo 3 play for using "3rd party programs" when all they were doing was using linux. If I am going to be banned when I am playing the game legitimately after gaming for 400 hours almost I would like a refund before I waste further time. Is there any discussion or some rule against using linux as your operating system?

Do you really expect us to believe that you personally know 40 people who use Linux?

Linux people tend to know Linux people. I know many, many Linux people.
There have been multiple threads dealing with linux issues on tech support forum, including disconnects due to Warden with 64 bit OS, and no one has posted there saying they've been banned. No blue poster has said that playing on linux with wine counts as a 3rd party program or violation of ToS, since all it really does is create a Windows filesystem within the linux OS. Where are the threads full of outraged linux users complaining about being banned?
06/25/2012 11:07 AMPosted by HackeZ
it takes the same "3rd party programs" to run those d3 PE file on your windows OS

say what? Is this some new tech where we emulate windows on windows to play windows games on windows on windows??????
06/25/2012 11:27 AMPosted by Falic
it takes the same "3rd party programs" to run those d3 PE file on your windows OS

say what? Is this some new tech where we emulate windows on windows to play windows games on windows on windows??????

Apparently...
06/25/2012 11:27 AMPosted by Falic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Executable
OS is a 3rd party program, what, you programmed it yourself? got hamsters running kernels?
06/25/2012 11:30 AMPosted by HackeZ

That page explains how those files are used directly by the Windows OS.

Again, you're using an emulator, which is something that's going to throw up red flags in the system. Please stop comparing it to people who are using an OS the game was actually designed to run on.
Why don't you just use a decent OS?

The game was designed to run on Windows. You chose to play it on Linux. It's YOUR problem.
Edited by Feartec#6296 on 6/25/2012 11:36 AM PDT

Again, you're using an emulator, which is something that's going to throw up red flags in the system. Please stop comparing it to people who are using an OS the game was actually designed to run on.

This isnt computer science class, if you dont know how Operating Systems work, stop trolling my thread. Thank you.
Crossover 11.1 for Linux now supports Diablo 3.

If you've got banned for using Crossover/Linux, then I'm sure customer support will lift the ban.

EDIT: If Crossover works, you may have been able to get it working with just Wine. Either way, same difference. All non-malicious software.
Edited by Daemonjax#1162 on 6/25/2012 11:39 AM PDT
85 Worgen Hunter
Friends dont let friends use linux.
06/25/2012 11:30 AMPosted by HackeZ

This is what you reply with?

Where is the 3rd party program I need to run D3 on windows.

This isnt computer science class, if you dont know how Operating Systems work, stop trolling my thread. Thank you.

In case you're wondering, this is why normal people don't like Linux users. You guys all end up being pompous asses about everything computer related, while somehow being able to overlook the simplest things.

The game is designed to run on Windows, so it doesn't really matter if there are some "3rd-party" things happening to run it through that OS, because that's already been accounted for by the designers. In order to run it on Linux, you're running some kind of emulation software, which was not accounted for by the developers, and that's what's triggering the bans.
06/25/2012 11:02 AMPosted by TimGbow
That is a lot of friends for one person to have that all use Linux and play D3, OP. How long did they ban you for?

A lot of my friends don't even own a pc let alone use one with a linux os, 40 though?! I call shenanigans.
Linux/Wine user here.

OP is FoS
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]