Diablo® III

People being banned for using Linux....

I'm not saying I agree that they should disallow people to play on Linux and ban them, but it is valid for them to do so if they have an agreement stipulating no use of 3rd party tools.

Well for one, stupidity and ignorance have to totally different meanings. Stupidity can never be 'like' ignorance.

stupidity [stjuːˈpɪdɪtɪ]
n pl -ties
1. the quality or state of being stupid
2. a stupid act, remark, etc.

ig·no·rance (gnr-ns)
n.
The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.

Neither of which apply here. Both of which, as I read more, apply directly to you.

really they apply to me good try... Sence i have yet to bash any windows user... I have only stated facts and backed them up with the fact that They should not be punished for playing games under linux.. Blizzard themselves have made that clear and have reversed it n the past.

Ok, ill try this nice and slow. Linux is not supported! Thanks, and good luck.
85 Tauren Druid

A device driver is not an application and all drivers on windows have to be signed by Microsoft, twist all you want... it is a completely different situation

1: Only 64 bit drivers need to be signed

2: microsoft is not blizzard, so they are still third party.

A device driver is not an application and all drivers on windows have to be signed by Microsoft, twist all you want... it is a completely different situation

They do lol How many device drivers in windows you install need to have the WHLQ tag flagged off to be installed .. ALOT.

0, unless you're using an outdated version of windows or trying to get unsupported hardware to run. XP and 2000/2k3 were nightmare for unsigned drivers.
85 Tauren Druid

Nobody claimed it was. Not supported and not allowed do not mean the same thing. It's not supported in wow or sc2, either, but is most certainly allowed.

All evidence points to a false positive in warden, as is fairly common with warden (if the op is even telling the truth).

really they apply to me good try... Sence i have yet to bash any windows user... I have only stated facts and backed them up with the fact that They should not be punished for playing games under linux.. Blizzard themselves have made that clear and have reversed it n the past.

If you read this thread at all, every linux user ever knows it isnt supported. Has nothing to do with blizzards definition of support, they have unsupported video cards does that mean if u meet the minimum requirments on the box but ur on that unsupported video card list after u bought it, that you shouldnt be entitled to a refund after u get banned?

06/25/2012 03:20 PMPosted by GeorgiaNuts
I'm not saying I agree that they should disallow people to play on Linux and ban them, but it is valid for them to do so if they have an agreement stipulating no use of 3rd party tools.

no they have a more strict version of what a 3rd party tool is then you are assuming, go read the license you signed more carefully. Its more game specific then you think it is, has nothing to do with game execution its more modification related etc. I am not going to recite for you something you clearly didnt read. Feel free to read it.

Nope. And here's why. Blizzard supports the Windows OS. And since Mircosoft is windows, blizzard supports ALL Microsoft programs that require said drivers. Pretty common sense stuff here folks.
Edited by Mance#1891 on 6/25/2012 3:25 PM PDT
I'm trying to figure out what the problem is here. Why are people suddenly afraid that running Diablo 3 on linux gives cheaters/botters the ability to completely bypass warden? Isn't warden implemented using Windows API calls? Doesn't WINE implement these API calls? What's the problem? And for the non-OS specific hacks, don't you think warden needs to check for them anyway? Really confused as to why it would be so much easier to cheat running Diablo 3 on Linux.
Edited by PuppyDogPimp#1376 on 6/25/2012 3:25 PM PDT
Don't worry, the mandatory online DRM will fix it
85 Tauren Druid

Nope. And here's why. Blizzard supports the Windows OS. And since Mircosoft is windows, blizzard supports ALL Microsoft programs that require said drivers. Pretty common sense stuff here folks.

Common sense is assuming blizzard policy hasnt't suddenly changed from what it was in wow and sc2, which is that linux is not supported, but they will do what they can to make sure that warden doesn't mistakenly ban people who use wine.
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Gnome Warrior
06/25/2012 03:26 PMPosted by Mercymizery
whats the thread post cap on this

500 posts.

There was an issue with Linux and WoW and false positives. I don't know if that is the case here or not. The players affected should take it up with Blizzard. Blizzard did a decent job in the WoW case. They'll likely do it again if it's happened with Diablo.

haha yes, it is pointless to continue in this thread.... Linux users want to twist definitions when at the end of the day it is up to Blizzard.... The question is whether they are banning for Linux/Wine/whatever tool you use to run D3 on linux, or were these people in fact cheating and trying to sidestep and push blame on something that didn't cause them to be banned.
06/25/2012 03:25 PMPosted by PuppyDogPimp
I'm trying to figure out what the problem is here. Why are people suddenly afraid that running Diablo 3 on linux gives cheaters/botters the ability to completely bypass warden? Isn't warden implemented using Windows API calls? Doesn't WINE implement these API calls? What's the problem? And for the non-OS specific hacks, don't you think warden needs to check for them anyway? Really confused as to why it would be so much easier to cheat running Diablo 3 on Linux.

Linux is much easier to configure on a VM and is generally much more scriptable and manageable remotely.

Nobody claimed it was. Not supported and not allowed do not mean the same thing. It's not supported in wow or sc2, either, but is most certainly allowed.

All evidence points to a false positive in warden, as is fairly common with warden (if the op is even telling the truth).

You dont really have to take it from me personally there is a ton of posts about it on winehq under diablo 3 sections that u can take a look at.

haha yes, it is pointless to continue in this thread.... Linux users want to twist definitions when at the end of the day it is up to Blizzard.... The question is whether they are banning for Linux/Wine/whatever tool you use to run D3 on linux, or were these people in fact cheating and trying to sidestep and push blame on something that didn't cause them to be banned.

Yea, that's a false dichotomy if I've ever seen one. It could be that Blizzard isn't intentionally banning people for using WINE, but that they are wrongly flagging some of the differences between WINE and the real Windows API as being indicative of foul play. All the OP did was post here on the forums to check if Blizzard has all of a sudden changed its policy on this or if the problem with the false positives will be fixed in a future warden update.
90 Orc Hunter
06/25/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Pentalis
You're emulating windows, Get windows, otherwise risk being banned.

WINE means WINE Is Not an Emulator.

We're not emulating Windows.

Edit: it's not an emulator, it's a compatibility layer.

umm.. no.

it IS an emulator, they just wanted to differentiate themselves from other emulators, so changed their acronym to a BS recursive acronym.

from wikipedia:

The name Wine initially was an acronym for WINdows Emulator.[6] Its meaning later shifted to the recursive backronym, Wine Is Not an Emulator in order to differentiate the software from other emulators.[7]
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]