Diablo® III

People being banned for using Linux....

90 Orc Hunter
the long and short of it is this:

dont !@#$% about windows games not running on linux, especially dont ^-*!@ about it and then tell me how awesome your OS is.

i have NEVER run a linux emulator. NO linux user can say that they have not run a windows emulator, or have a second pc with windows on it, or a second partition with windows, etc.

if linux was so friggin great, you would be able to run 100% linux all the time. but you cant.
06/25/2012 03:33 PMPosted by Mercymizery

500 posts.

There was an issue with Linux and WoW and false positives. I don't know if that is the case here or not. The players affected should take it up with Blizzard. Blizzard did a decent job in the WoW case. They'll likely do it again if it's happened with Diablo.

sure hope they do granted im not effected then also i dont cheat or bot games. Games are fun why deprive myself of fun?

You seem to have a lot in common with the OP, FYI. The voice you write with. The types of mistakes you make. Your stake in this thread. Your computer knowledge. The fact you and the OP keep saying stuff that doesn't make any sense and then agreeing with each other...
the long and short of it is this:

dont !@#$% about windows games not running on linux, especially dont ^-*!@ about it and then tell me how awesome your OS is.

i have NEVER run a linux emulator. NO linux user can say that they have not run a windows emulator, or have a second pc with windows on it, or a second partition with windows, etc.

if linux was so friggin great, you would be able to run 100% linux all the time. but you cant.

I do run linux all the time, this game works fine, I play alot of other games,you clearly havent read this topic at all. Is it really to much to ask for constructive posts instead of random ignorant people trolling around everywhere?
welll at lest this should be a nice start to fixing linux and direct x

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/?id=92617aeac109481258f0c3863d09c1b8903d438b

yumm mb eventually u wont need wine at all as native direct x 10 and 11 functionally can be called from within the Linux drivers

Its not only the directx api's that are the problem its also that we use ELF binaries instead of PE executables. Also that wont include the huge array of windows apis necessary for these games to run, but one thing it might mean is that developers will have an easier time porting there code over to linux so they might be more motivated to make linux native games.
85 Tauren Druid

enlighten me on what its emulating? All the api function calls are being called and translated to the same linux equivalent api call and then sent back as something the direct x api layer can understand..

It's emulating the windows api, just like printers who implement hp-gl are emulating hp-gl. The language used by the wine folks was to make it clear that they did not do x86 emulation, as that is very slow and merely provide compatible implementations of the api (and the ability to load PE files).
90 Orc Hunter
06/25/2012 03:35 PMPosted by Mercymizery
enlighten me on what its emulating? All the api function calls are being called and translated to the same linux equivalent api call and then sent back as something the direct x api layer can understand..

it is emulating windows.

from dictionary.com

em·u·late
[v. em-yuh-leyt; adj. em-yuh-lit] verb, em·u·lat·ed, em·u·lat·ing, adjective
verb (used with object)

Computers.
a.
to imitate (a particular computer system) by using a software system, often including a microprogram or another computer that enables it to do the same work, run the same programs, etc., as the first.

You seem to have a lot in common with the OP, FYI. The voice you write with. The types of mistakes you make. Your stake in this thread. Your computer knowledge. The fact you and the OP keep saying stuff that doesn't make any sense and then agreeing with each other...

but yet we have completely different names not to mention the stuff i say does make sense it just doesn't make sense to you scnce you do not understand it.

try harder next time

did i once say i was banned am i in fear of getting banned no...

ok then moving on.

You have the potential to be really special, imo. It's clever that you know HackeZ should avoid directly responding to suspicion. Stay in school.

Its not only the directx api's that are the problem its also that we use ELF binaries instead of PE executables. Also that wont include the huge array of windows apis necessary for these games to run, but one thing it might mean is that developers will have an easier time porting there code over to linux so they might be more motivated to make linux native games.

ya i know it still would need to be picked up and handled by the developers of the software but at least its a start in the right direction.

definately windows has been stepping up its open source game alot lately especially since mac reappeared on the scene, so we been getting alot of lines from them. Also there support in the mono project by novell has been pretty huge. Anyways time for this coder to get back to work and stop arguing on forums. To everyone who wasnt ignorant for no apparent reason thank you for contributing to my thread.
I assumed he was talking about the mono port of silverlight called moonlight. I deleted it because it was pointless and off topic. I wasn't trying to cover anything, master of disguise.
Edited by jsneaks#1999 on 6/25/2012 3:47 PM PDT
90 Orc Hunter
06/25/2012 03:37 PMPosted by HackeZ
I do run linux all the time, this game works fine, I play alot of other games,you clearly havent read this topic at all. Is it really to much to ask for constructive posts instead of random ignorant people trolling around everywhere?

no you dont run linux all the time.

you run wine to play games. or some other emulator. that is because linux cant run the software natively.
mac users can and do use osx 100% of the time, windows users can and do run windows 100% of the time, but linux users generally cant.

my point, was that linux users who run windows software shouldnt complain when it doesnt work with wine, or when something else janks up the smooth running of your experience.

its like putting a chevy transmission on a ford engine, then complaining that it doesnt work properly, and expecting ford to figure out how to make your setup work.
This is most unfortunate for the OP. I have seen screenshots of a lot of games being run under Linux using WINE. Also WINE isnt really emulating windows not in the same sense as Dosbox emulating DOS. WINE allows Linux to execute the necessary commands that Windows programs needs within a Linux environment.
Edited by Fender178#1290 on 6/25/2012 3:51 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]