Diablo® III

People being banned for using Linux....

06/25/2012 03:44 PMPosted by Mercymizery

it is emulating windows...

it in fact is not emulating windows...

Stop this insane argument already this is what it sounds like.

"WINE doesn't emulate Windows in the typical use of the word. It is not software emulating a hardware architecture."

"Yea, but WINE technically does emulate the Windows API. Look here's a definition"

"You're using the definition wrong."

"No I'm not." "Yes you are." "No I'm not." "Yes you are." ahhhhhhhhh
90 Orc Hunter

it in fact is not emulating windows its a api translation from direct x api function calls to the open gl corresponding api call..

please learn the proper definition of emulation. Therese a difference between emulator and api translator.

ok, i quoted where i got my definition from, if you wanna quote YOUR definition from somewhere other than your mind, be my guest.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Who uses Linux nowadays when OSX is about the same/better AND is supported by Blizz?? /facepalm
People who don't want to pay 4K just because something looks like a Buck Rogers prop?
Edited by jsneaks#1999 on 6/25/2012 3:52 PM PDT
Is it really to much to ask for constructive posts instead of random ignorant people trolling around everywhere?

Constructive? The game is not supported on Linux, if you play it on anything other than the supported platforms then you risk getting banned, hacking/cheating or not, period.

How is this a issue again? Don't like it? then don't buy the game or play.

Not supported != Not accepted.

When you buy the game, you take the risk that it won't work. But that's all. Here, if you play on linux, you take the risk not to be able to play it anymore, even on Windows. And that's not normal, I'm sorry

And please, don't tell "Don't like it, they don't buy the game". Because people realize this problem 5 weeks after buying it, so basically, they did not know they would get banned.
Edited by Tinou#2490 on 6/25/2012 3:54 PM PDT
Absolutely dumbfounded...
85 Tauren Druid
06/25/2012 03:51 PMPosted by Valvalecia
Who uses Linux nowadays when OSX is about the same/better AND is supported by Blizz?? /facepalm

There's differences. I use macs, and I use linux. They aren't interchangable.

mac users can and do use osx 100% of the time, windows users can and do run windows 100% of the time, but linux users generally cant.

Mac users have the same problem as Linux users. If they want to run a native Windows application on their computer, then they have to use WINE or something similar.

I could also just as easily say haha Windows can't run programs that use POSIX API calls without installing Cygwin or something similar first. Linux can do that hahaha. So many pointless arguments in this thread lol...
90 Orc Hunter

The name Wine initially was an acronym for WINdows Emulator.[6]

once again wine is not a emulator.

evidently the creators of wine thought it was an emulator.

i never refuted that it was a compatibility layer, just pointing out that it IS an emulator, by any definition of the word.
90 Orc Hunter

Mac users have the same problem as Linux users. If they want to run a native Windows application on their computer, then they have to use WINE or something similar.

I could also just as easily say haha Windows can't run programs that use POSIX API calls without installing Cygwin or something similar first. Linux can do that hahaha. So many pointless arguments in this thread lol...

there are alternatives for nearly every application that is windows only for mac users, written specifically for the mac. the reason that "most" mac users run wine, is because what is free for windows is often a $60-$100 program for macs.
90 Orc Hunter
06/25/2012 03:55 PMPosted by PuppyDogPimp
I could also just as easily say haha Windows can't run programs that use POSIX API calls without installing Cygwin or something similar first. Linux can do that hahaha.

you absolutely could, if someone was posting in a linuz forum about how their windows pc couldn't do that, and complaining that someone else needed to fix their setup for them. or unban them, or whatever.

the very next time i wanna use POSIX API calls, i will go install linux on my gear, or buy a linux pc... i wont complain that my ford engine to chevy transmission setup is fail.
Blizzard doesn't offer official support for running their games under Linux. Probably because Linux users to be 100 times more intelligent than the mouth breathers on these forums.

That doesn't mean however they don't allow the use of it. Warden is designed to detect Wine so it can modify its behavior slightly clearly Blizzard has built in Linux/Wine support into the game. Amazing how many people will post information as if they have a clue while their head is stuck in their !@#$.

Oh and I'm a Sr. Unix admin and in our department we have 35 admins. All of which run Linux and the majority are playing Diablo 3. I know far more than 40 people using Linux and playing D3, been using Linux since 1994.
Edited by ShrewdDude#1676 on 6/25/2012 4:08 PM PDT

you absolutely could, if someone was posting in a linuz forum about how their windows pc couldn't do that, and complaining that someone else needed to fix their setup for them. or unban them, or whatever.

the very next time i wanna use POSIX API calls, i will go install linux on my gear, or buy a linux pc... i wont complain that my ford engine to chevy transmission setup is fail.

I guess that's where we differ then. If someone came to a Linux forum asking for help with Cygwin, I would hope people would be helpful. Sure there are a lot of jerks out there in the Linux community, but I think for the most part people try to help eachother out. Personally, I use all three (Linux, Mac, and Windows). I have a Mac at work, I use Linux mostly for my personal programming projects at home, and I use Windows for entertainment purposes (games, movies, etc.) and some windows specific development (C# is actually a pretty fun language). I don't play Diablo 3 on Linux, but I think it's a shame that those who do are mistakenly being flagged as cheaters.
06/25/2012 03:51 PMPosted by Valvalecia

OSX is a wannabe *nix.

Let's just add this to the latest incredible lameness by Blizzard. Just when you think they can't get any more facepalm-worthy.
90 Orc Hunter

I guess that's where we differ then. If someone came to a Linux forum asking for help with Cygwin, I would hope people would be helpful. Sure there are a lot of jerks out there in the Linux community, but I think for the most part people try to help eachother out. Personally, I use all three (Linux, Mac, and Windows). I have a Mac at work, I use Linux mostly for my personal programming projects at home, and I use Windows for entertainment purposes (games, movies, etc.) and some windows specific development (C# is actually a pretty fun language). I don't play Diablo 3 on Linux, but I think it's a shame that those who do are mistakenly being flagged as cheaters.

maybe there was a miscommunication on my part earlier.

i have no problem with linux. i have no problem with people gaming while running linux. if this were a tech support forum, i would have no problem with someone asking for help getting something running using wine.

i think that warden should be able to differentiate (and so does blizz, from past experience) between wine and 3rd party bad software.

but when there is a breakdown in warden, or wine, or wherever the mix up happened, then it isnt really appropriate to bring it to a general forum, where the people who could fix it never hang out.

if blizz decides to fix the issue, great!

if they decide not to fix it, then the people affected should have a 1 time account ban lift, and be told to use it only on windows or mac pcs from there on out, and the ToS should be changed to reflect that.
Personally is it that hard to figure out?

If OP and various other Linux users and I personally know a couple that didn't get banned but your "friends" did, then your "friends" were doing/running something in the background that other non-banned Linux users are not.

I am not here to say they were directly hacking/exploiting the game, but would be very likely they are in some way. One thing is for sure, they are doing something different then the OP while playing D3 or in the least doing whatever really got them banned a lot more often the OP has.

I have worked in security for various companies such as banks and a long time ago AOL, and I'm sure blizzard took much more of a look into your friends activity then just an alert from warden before they were banned. This also would be why since OP has been legit about your activity has not been banned as well as other Linux users that were/have not been banned.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]