Diablo® III

People being banned for using Linux....

85 Tauren Druid
Who uses Linux nowadays when OSX is about the same/better AND is supported by Blizz?? /facepalm

OSX is a wannabe *nix.

Let's just add this to the latest incredible lameness by Blizzard. Just when you think they can't get any more facepalm-worthy.

It's actually unix (susv3 certified). It's just got a rather non-traditional infrastructure, where it's split between mach and the bsd layer instead of a more monolithic type approach you mind find on freebsd or linux.
Edited by mescyn#1807 on 6/25/2012 4:29 PM PDT
If it is indeed a bug on blizzard's side, they should fix it ASAP, as they could be banning legit users for no reason.
Personally is it that hard to figure out?

If OP and various other Linux users and I personally know a couple that didn't get banned but your "friends" did, then your "friends" were doing/running something in the background that other non-banned Linux users are not.

I am not here to say they were directly hacking/exploiting the game, but would be very likely they are in some way. One thing is for sure, they are doing something different then the OP while playing D3 or in the least doing whatever really got them banned a lot more often the OP has.

I have worked in security for various companies such as banks and a long time ago AOL, and I'm sure blizzard took much more of a look into your friends activity then just an alert from warden before they were banned. This also would be why since OP has been legit about your activity has not been banned as well as other Linux users that were/have not been banned.

From the look of the official entry on appdb.winehq.org the bans just started yesterday. I doubt there are very many english speaking, linux using, D3 playing people using any kind've nefarious software. They just want to play this crapwreck of a game.
play 400 hours jeez, that is like 11+hour per day not counting ah or menu time. that ain't good for heath.
06/25/2012 03:55 PMPosted by PuppyDogPimp
Mac users have the same problem as Linux users. If they want to run a native Windows application on their computer, then they have to use WINE or something similar.

Mac users can also use bootcamp and Install windows to run their Windows programs. Since Macs started to use Intel processors.
Edited by Fender178#1290 on 6/25/2012 4:36 PM PDT
Linux snobs always QQ about stuff not working but at least they can get their e-peen on for using linux.
06/25/2012 10:55 AMPosted by HackeZ
If I am going to be banned when I am playing the game legitimately after gaming for 400 hours almost

I don't believe this. You would have to have been playing D3 for over 50 hours per week, not including the Tuesday maintenance or other periods of downtime.

If this is true, it's time to re-evaluate some of your life choices, eh?
06/25/2012 04:42 PMPosted by Sebel
Linux snobs always QQ about stuff not working but at least they can get their e-peen on for using linux.

D3 works fine under linux. It worked fine in the beta. If Blizzard didn't want Linux users playing they should have put out a statement then, because they certainly knew linux users were playing.
This is kinda surprising. The same thing happened for WoW. They banned loads of people running WINE and eventually reversed the bans.

I'm just... floored that they did it again. It's like they learned nothing.

The game wasn't designed for Linux. Why on earth would they be expected to "fix" the client for something that wasn't actually a problem?

Don't be such a rule crazy idiot.

Blizzard doesn't have to change anything to allow Linux users to play the game. They can do that themselves through WINE.

Honestly, if they're banning players for legitimate play, people who paid for the game and will make them money through the RMAH, why would Blizzard, a business who's aim it is to make money, ban these people? It's in their interest that these people can continue to play, and they don't have to do anything except reverse some bans.

Seriously, stop acting like such a narrow-minded imbecile.
So let me get this right, out of the 1.03% of the world that uses Linux, and probably the 1-4% of the 1.03% that actually has and plays Diablo 3 ON Linux, you just happen to find 40 of them laying around? Yeah, okay.

Anyways, if you haven't been banned yet, you probably wont be. Warden runs actively in the background constantly checking for files/game memory being modified. You would of been banned within minutes of logging in.
90 Troll Mage
Linux isn't supported for a reason. They didn't develop the game to played on it, and therefor, cannot monitor 3rd party application detection like they can on Windows. It's an understandable automatic ban if you understand advanced operating system & programming skills. They have an equivalent security measure similar to punkbuster, designed to monitor your systems RAM while playing the game. If this was unable to run, or detected an anomaly, then it will flag the account.

TLDR: Linux isn't supported, therefor they cannot ensure security while playing. Compromising your own account by altering the client to be played on Linux is a threat to the company as well. These accounts were banned rightfully.
90 Troll Mage
Linux isn't supported for a reason. They didn't develop the game to played on it, and therefor, cannot monitor 3rd party application detection like they can on Windows. It's an understandable automatic ban if you understand advanced operating system & programming skills. They have an equivalent security measure similar to punkbuster, designed to monitor your systems RAM while playing the game. If this was unable to run, or detected an anomaly, then it will flag the account.

TLDR: Linux isn't supported, therefor they cannot ensure security while playing. Compromising your own account by altering the client to be played on Linux is a threat to the company as well. These accounts were banned rightfully.

Trust me they can Warden knows what wine is.... How do you think blizzard unbaned all the legitimt wow users that were playing under linux.

Ugh... the OP isn't talking about using a virtual machine, he is talking about playing it on Linux natively. Big difference.

Edit: I assume he is trying out a guide I seen a couple days ago online titled "How to play Diablo on Linux!" which I cannot reveal where I found.
Edited by ChuckNorris#1873 on 6/25/2012 5:00 PM PDT

The client isn't altered in any way. As I pointed out above, they knew a lot of people were using linux to play the beta. They should have explicitly made a statement at that point that playing the game under wine would be a bannable offense. I purchased the game after playing through the beta weekend in linux with no issues.
90 Troll Mage
Find the guide I did 2 days ago and you will see what the OP actually did... lol
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]