Diablo® III

People being banned for using Linux....

Linux isn't supported for a reason. They didn't develop the game to played on it, and therefor, cannot monitor 3rd party application detection like they can on Windows. It's an understandable automatic ban if you understand advanced operating system & programming skills. They have an equivalent security measure similar to punkbuster, designed to monitor your systems RAM while playing the game. If this was unable to run, or detected an anomaly, then it will flag the account.

TLDR: Linux isn't supported, therefor they cannot ensure security while playing. Compromising your own account by altering the client to be played on Linux is a threat to the company as well. These accounts were banned rightfully.

Eventhough i run Diablo 3 exclusively on Windows, I dual boot with Linux and can sympathize with OP's friends
1) WINE does not alter the client in anyway.. All it does is to provide the required libraries needed to run a windows application on Linux.....
2) are you fine if you were banned because you were using an unsupported graphics driver? (eg: ATI / Nvidia releases a new beta driver that improves frame rates... but Blizz has yet to approve that?)
3) are you fine if you were banned if your windows update was a little behind and you have not installed all the security patches?...

come to think of it.. I might get banned as well... I am beta testing Windows 8 Preview and I run Diablo 3 on Windows 8 Developer/Consumer preview... I am pretty much in the same position as the friends of OP...
This is legit. There are numerous reports of people getting banned for using Wine (a windows emulator for linux) to run D3 on WineHQ. The same thing also happened when WoW was launched, but Blizzard unbanned those people.

It's amazing how many people who have absolutely no clue what they're talking about have posted in this thread.
90 Troll Mage

Ugh... the OP isn't talking about using a virtual machine, he is talking about playing it on Linux natively. Big difference.

I didnt say Virtual machine i said wine....

wine is the applicaton layer that allows direct x games and windows games to be ran on unsupported operating systems like linux...

Vm ware is a virtual machine that allows you to run another os inside a host os....

dont confuse the two

You just answered your own question. If the OP had used a VM, this most likely would not have happened.
06/25/2012 11:04 AMPosted by Kryn
You have 40 friends that use linux and play Diablo 3.

honestly i don't see it, either.

ponying up $60 for this trash game and u can't/won't pony up $100-200 for a real gaming OS? X 40 ppls?!

and plz don't turn it into a "racist against linux" thing, cuz it's not. i just believe in using the right tool for the job, and when it comes to PC gaming, the tool is Windows. (lol yep i said it.)
90 Troll Mage

You just answered your own question. If the OP had used a VM, this most likely would not have happened.

i didnt even ask a question to begin with.... You clearly have no clue please quit posting sence you are not actually contributing anything to this discussion.

wine does nothing but make the game playable in linux it doesnt alter any game code what so ever..

Best analgiy for you windows users is right clicking ur exe file hit properties and hit run in windows 9x etc same principles apply.

You must not be a programmer. And if so, need to brush up. I am here for one thing only, and that is to help the OP understand properly what he is up against.

and plz don't turn it into a "racist against linux" thing, cuz it's not. i just believe in using the right tool for the job, and when it comes to PC gaming, the tool is Windows. (lol yep i said it.)

Don't worry, we're quite happy that you're using windows.
90 Troll Mage

You must not be a programmer. And if so, need to brush up. I am here for one thing only, and that is to help the OP understand properly what he is up against.

then enlighten us with this magical wisdom that you have yet to show us?

cause all i have seen from you is dribble.

Honestly? What I think? The OP has 40 friends who all play on Linux... sounds like a farming operation to me via the Linux OS. There is more to this story than a simple OS compatibility issue.
90 Troll Mage

then enlighten us with this magical wisdom that you have yet to show us?

cause all i have seen from you is dribble.

wine does not at all alter the games code... THe games code is running the same way it would run under windows .... brush up on your application translator and application layer vs emulation...

dont call me a idiot because trust me i know alot more then you think i do. I highly doubt that your a programmer...

One only angers themself when they misquote under peering eyes. I never called you an idiot. Wait and see what Blizz has to say.
90 Troll Mage
Then there is more to the OP's story.

i already quoted blizzard in reguards to linux players before by jay wilson.

but blizzards stance for the last decade has been they dont care they just dont offer official support for it.

So then the accounts were banned for another reason. And FYI application translator and application layer vs emulation... lol it doesn't matter.
06/25/2012 11:48 AMPosted by Grashnak
Is there a Official Linux version somewhere?

Sorry this made me laugh. I love how most of the posts here are either completely clueless about what linux even is, or are just trolling the guy for fun.

In case you are serious, no. And there will never be an "official" linux version as linux/unix is designed as open source (you can lift the hood and see the engine (Code)) software. Most are completely free, and take the basic linux code,(Debian/Redhat/Slacker) add a few bells and whistles, maybe a better installer, and call it something new.

There are literally hundreds of different versions. My personal favorite is Knoppix, your whole operating system is contained on a single dvd, no install just insert the disc and boom your computer boots into the OS. Great for fixing busted windows PC's with file issues that won't boot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions
Edited by Belenas#1783 on 6/25/2012 5:31 PM PDT
Maybe this was answered but thorough reading may harm me.
How tf does a person end up with 40 friends using Linux?
Ok.
How tf does a person end up with 40 friends using Linux and configuring Wine to play the same PC game?

I have never met a human being aside from myself and coworkers who use Linux.

I can't handle this stuff.
90 Troll Mage
06/25/2012 05:22 PMPosted by Prometheus
Honestly? What I think? The OP has 40 friends who all play on Linux... sounds like a farming operation to me via the Linux OS. There is more to this story than a simple OS compatibility issue.

ROFL. Yes, Linux is the preferred kernel for gold farmers...

The stupidity here...it overwhelms.

You must be looking in a mirror then. Contact customer support or wait for a blue. They will tell you what has already been told.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]