Diablo® III

People being banned for using Linux....

Chances are your "40 friends" got booted by Warden. Since Linux isn't supported, it may find various programs Linux uses to run D3 (or any game for that matter) to be "malicious".

Your "40 friends" should just contact support and find out what's up.
In order to run it on Linux, you're running some kind of emulation software, which was not accounted for by the developers, and that's what's triggering the bans.

Wine
Is
Not an
Emulator

Even if it was, so what? I could run Diablo 3 in a virtualbox on Windows/Mac/Linux and it wouldn't matter one bit.

Since Crossover (commercial software forked from Wine) now supports D3, a lot of Linux users will be playing it on their PCs. If the ban was due to this, then I'm sure they'll lift the bans once they figure it all out. Definitely contact them.

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=6277
Edited by Daemonjax#1162 on 6/25/2012 11:48 AM PDT
Chances are your "40 friends" got booted by Warden. Since Linux isn't supported, it may find various programs Linux uses to run D3 (or any game for that matter) to be "malicious".

when Bliz toggled warden on a few weeks ago, it did cause problems with 64 bit linux's however there is a work around dicussed in the support forums.
40 personal friends playing Diablo? All using linux? That's a lot of neck beards and suspenders...

Were they Decepticons.....or...AutoBOTS?!
Linux/Wine user here.

OP is FoS

Why? I wasnt banned?

They have blizzard responds with emails re-iterating the ban message with no other information.
Quit lying. There aren't even a total of 40 people using Lumix world wide let alone playing Diablo 3 on.
Yeah don't you get a kick out of these "Oh I' m INNOCENT" I didn't do anything I shouldn't be able to do. lmao It's like every prisoner in prison if you ask them why they are in prison everyone of them go "Oh I'm Innocent I didn't do anything wrong" lmao

Get with the picture OP if Blizzard says you can't use anything outside of what they SUPPORT or SAY you can use then you can't use it and no EXCUSES is going to change that and you and your 40 friends (lmao 40 friends hahaha sure you have 40 friends) have to suffer and will suffer the consequences. NO REFUNDS either haha.
Yeah don't you get a kick out of these "Oh I' m INNOCENT" I didn't do anything I shouldn't be able to do. lmao It's like every prisoner in prison if you ask them why they are in prison everyone of them go "Oh I'm Innocent I didn't do anything wrong" lmao

Get with the picture OP if Blizzard says you can't use anything outside of what they SUPPORT or SAY you can use then you can't use it and no EXCUSES is going to change that and you and your 40 friends (lmao 40 friends hahaha sure you have 40 friends) have to suffer and will suffer the consequences. NO REFUNDS either haha.

More people who cant read I didnt get banned yet. "haha" indeed
Is there a Official Linux version somewhere?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Executable

This is what you reply with?

Where is the 3rd party program I need to run D3 on windows.

It requires many third party services to run D3 on Windows. You're just not aware of what's being used to actually make the game run.
Edited by viscrom#1983 on 6/25/2012 11:49 AM PDT
5 bucks on OPs friends being botters
85 Tauren Druid
06/25/2012 10:55 AMPosted by HackeZ
I have about 40~ ish friends who were banned from Diablo 3 play for using "3rd party programs" when all they were doing was using linux. If I am going to be banned when I am playing the game legitimately after gaming for 400 hours almost I would like a refund before I waste further time. Is there any discussion or some rule against using linux as your operating system?

Probably just a mistake w/ warden misidentifying wine. I really doubt it's intentional, and they'll probably fairly rapidly fix it.
i dont think they would ban you for using wine. wine runs on macs too. they probably cheated.
90 Blood Elf Priest
I contact blizzard and explain to them I was running Linux and using wine as a windows emulator. I was not using third party programs as long as you get someone tech savvy then chances are they will un band your account.

More people who cant read I didnt get banned yet. "haha" indeed

Yes, but you'll always have to watch over your shoulder and you eventually will now especially after showing yourself up on the OFFICIAL forum and telling what you are doing...HAHA! ;)

The game isn't designed for Linux, so you are using a 3rd-party program to run it. Unless my understanding of how you get Windows games to run on Linux is faulty.

But basically, you knowingly played the game on an unsupported OS. You can't complain when that causes problems.

it takes the same "3rd party programs" to run those d3 PE file on your windows OS, it reads the headers loads the libraries necessary into memory and runs the game as windows does. The D3 files arent being tampered with in any shape or form, they are being ran and executed how they were intended to be. They simply see some unfamiliar processes etc and warden is falsely assuming cheating. Why the sudden change in policy? I played Diablo1, Warcraft 2, Warcraft3, Starcraft, Starcraft 2, Diablo 2 and Now Diablo 3 is the one that is banishing an os?

Networking in Wine (at least it used to be this way) is basically an emulation in the WINE emulator environment. Packets are handed off from the virtual Windows instance to Linux and then sent to the internet through the Linux drivers. I can easily see that if this is how Wine still works, Blizzard will think you are running something to modify IP traffic. If Wine is different these days, then banning seems harsh and a phone call to tech suport may get them unbanned. Besides, MAC OS is basically a GUI on top of a tweaked BSD installation, so it is a Unixlike OS as well, just like Linux...
06/25/2012 11:50 AMPosted by FreakNigh
You guys understand Mac is a form of unix right? In my house we only have mac's and linux natively installed. Windows is on VMware for the few pieces of software like microsoft office we need for work. Windows is Diablo 3 in the form of an OS.

lol @ total nerd dbags
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]