Diablo® III

People being banned for using Linux....

06/25/2012 12:06 PMPosted by nimsu1987
Hackez, blizzards founders were mac users. Look on the blizz 20 year anniversary video. They loved em.Moreso, look at how ALL WoW games are mac supported. Actually, look at how ALL games that come from blizz are mac supported since they were called Silicon and Synapse. Sure they messed up a bit with d3 because of some macs having crap gpu's which they should have classed as unsupported but they didn't by mistake.See my point?

I wasnt attacking that point, I was attacking the point that the mac client works very similar to how we make the linux client work, thus the same exploits would exist.
I think blizzard should enlarge their allowable OS.

Not support, Just allow.

Usually people don't understand being discriminated.

Myself, An Asian living in small country and also one of linux users.

I think Blizzard's action is not fair.
Hey HackeZ, I would open up a support ticket with Blizz. It sounds like they are picking up your OS or program on your OS as a 3rd aprty software that breaks the game, when in reality, it probably just emulates the windows/mac environment, and has no performance gain, and does not modify the client in any way.
They don't have to develop for Linux, their games typically run with Wine.
I think blizzard should enlarge their allowable OS.

Not support, Just allow.

Usually people don't understand being discriminated.

Myself, An Asian living in small country and also one of linux users.

I think Blizzard's action is not fair.

I wouldnt worry about that to much, alot of people are mistaking blizzards stance on linux as disallowed because its not listed as supported. Which is merely not the case, blizzard in the past has had a positive stance on linux users and hasnt changed its stance it just hasnt supported us directly. Until blizzard changes its stance to disallow us somewhere in writing, not supporting means nothing, its like saying people who dont have the "supported amount of memory" to run the game should be banned also, this logic is flawed and ridiculous I believe one troll has been focusing on this "supported" point this entire time.

as for me I will sit and wait to play again till a blue or blizzard poster tells me where linux users stand directly.
06/25/2012 12:11 PMPosted by b3x
They don't have to develop for Linux, their games typically run with Wine.

I think your right.

But, it does not justify they can ban linux users.
Unsupported doesn't mean u will get banned, just that if u have problems playing the game, their tech support can't help you. That's what "unsupported" means.

If you cheat, then u get banned.
As long as you are not modifying the game files in any way, you should be open a ticket with them, as their "agents" are flagging your system/program as malicious some how. They may not support 3rd party programs, but they shouldn't be banning you for it unless its doing something to the system files, so it could just be that their "agents" are too aggresive. To be technical, it does say you cannot use 3rd party progs, but they mean it in the way of modifying the game, or doing something malicious, its not really that they want to ban people who are creative and are finding ways to run it on other platforms, as long as their is no gain, or modificatino of client files...
HackerZ, you haven't been banned, speak for yourself and not for your 40 acquaintances. Do not expect us (or Blizzard, or anyone) to believe you have 40 _friends_ (people you know and trust) who play Diablo III and Linux at the same time; if what you say has a grain of true, they are not your friends, they are people you are acquainted with, and you should not trust their version of the facts and come here to the forums and post the 40 of them were banned unfairly.
And this is all assuming you are trying to say the truth, which is already a big stretch.

I, like you, play(ed, not anymore) Diablo III on Linux, and I played World of Warcraft in the past. I played over a thousand hours of WoW and over a hundred hours of Diablo III, and never got banned (or hacked, for that matter).

The Warden has messed with Linux lately though, so it wouldn't surprise me that the system would automatically ban people "for the lolz", but let your "friends" complain and don't make you (and us) look like fools making a thread with outrageous claims like having _40 FRIENDS PLAYING DIABLO III ON LINUX WHO GOT BANNED_.
90 Worgen Warlock
I am extremely disappointed to see so many ignorant people stating "run it at your own risk". Linux is not some hacker-special tool. In fact, if Microsoft's antimarketing campaign wasn't such a resounding success, Linux would've had a much more substantial chunk of the OS market. I repeat, Linux is not some dark and mysterious voodoo, rather a much more moddable and light on resources OS. This is akin to not having any support/banning on any of the apple machines... why? - blackmajikz and hackerzcentral!
This is kinda surprising. The same thing happened for WoW. They banned loads of people running WINE and eventually reversed the bans.

I'm just... floored that they did it again. It's like they learned nothing.
You got 40 friends and all of them use linux? I have never met a single person IRL that uses that crap. Stick with windows. But use linux before ever going MAC.

Also how come your name is Hack z. Doesnt exactly help your case when 3rd party program bans are in order.
Edited by Heinzman#1185 on 6/25/2012 12:18 PM PDT
I just opened a ticket asking if utilizing Ubuntu 11.04 was bannable, if I get a response I will copy and paste it here, good luck OP, I have been thinking of dual booting Ubuntu for a bit now since I got my new rig and I used to on my old one. I doubt that playing D3 via Wine/Winetricks on Linux is bannable. It being non supported only means that if you have a technical issue while running the game in an unsupported format you should not expect Blizzard to resolve the issue for you as your method of play is unsupported. Nothing more, nothing less. But again I will let you know what response, if any I receive regarding this matter. Don't mind the trolls, they are all forum stalkers anyhow, they don't even play the game. ^_^ Good luck and have fun!

~Z

Edit: It is apparent that people here are illiterate. His 40 friends are all IRC users whom the OP associates with online. A lot of you microsoft babies don't believe how successful Linux is. Yet because it is open source and available in hundreds of different distros you think it is garbage. While it is true that Linux, at least Ubuntu which I am most familiar with, does not have any form of native direct x these problems can easily be overcome utilizing some applications native to Linux.

TL--DR: Unless you have first hand experience using Linux you do not have any idea how successful or efficient Linux Distros can be.
Edited by Zombeezii#1324 on 6/25/2012 12:23 PM PDT
I play on linux and have been playing since wow started. In early wow there was a mass ban of linux folks, blizz reinstated all accounts.

I'm not banned yet and i play d3 on linux.

I'm sure they're not out to ban linux users on purpose.

Whats with all the linux hate?
wouldnt worry about that to much, alot of people are mistaking blizzards stance on linux as disallowed because its not listed as supported. Which is merely not the case, blizzard in the past has had a positive stance on linux users and hasnt changed its stance it just hasnt supported us directly. Until blizzard changes its stance to disallow us somewhere in writing, not supporting means nothing, its like saying people who dont have the "supported amount of memory" to run the game should be banned also, this logic is flawed and ridiculous I believe one troll has been focusing on this "supported" point this entire time.

as for me I will sit and wait to play again till a blue or blizzard poster tells me where linux users stand directly.

I know wow or sc2 linux user's relatively well supported by Blizzards.

I want to say to somone who said like your os are not supported ,you can not complain.
HackerZ, you haven't been banned, speak for yourself and not for your 40 acquaintances. Do not expect us (or Blizzard, or anyone) to believe you have 40 _friends_ (people you know and trust) who play Diablo III and Linux at the same time; if what you say has a grain of true, they are not your friends, they are people you are acquainted with, and you should not trust their version of the facts and come here to the forums and post the 40 of them were banned unfairly.
And this is all assuming you are trying to say the truth, which is already a big stretch.

I, like you, play(ed, not anymore) Diablo III on Linux, and I played World of Warcraft in the past. I played over a thousand hours of WoW and over a hundred hours of Diablo III, and never got banned (or hacked, for that matter).

The Warden has messed with Linux lately though, so it wouldn't surprise me that the system would automatically ban people "for the lolz", but let your "friends" complain and don't make you (and us) look like fools making a thread with outrageous claims like having _40 FRIENDS PLAYING DIABLO III ON LINUX WHO GOT BANNED_.

people keep assuming 40 friends is alot or something, I am a software engineer at a very linux heavy organization these 40 friends of mine are mostly co-workers, we have access to linux at work so we can play on our breaks and at home on the same OS. Is 40 friends alot to the diablo 3 forum? If so I am sorry I guess but that troll message of friend amount is getting old. Also there is no r in my name and my name isnt related to what you think it is.

06/25/2012 12:15 PMPosted by Burps
I am extremely disappointed to see so many ignorant people stating "run it at your own risk". Linux is not some hacker-special tool. In fact, if Microsoft's antimarketing campaign wasn't such a resounding success, Linux would've had a much more substantial chunk of the OS market. I repeat, Linux is not some dark and mysterious voodoo, rather a much more moddable and light on resources OS. This is akin to not having any support/banning on any of the apple machines... why? - blackmajikz and hackerzcentral!

Well said Burps, well said.
06/25/2012 12:15 PMPosted by Burps

OK... As a dedicated linux user, you're crazy. Linux would not have more of the market share because it doesn't run the same applications that windows does. It's also not plug and play with most hardware. For power users, it's a spectacular tool for network debugging, application development, and as a server platform. It will never be a widely used desktop OS.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]