Diablo® III

People being banned for using Linux....

This is kinda surprising. The same thing happened for WoW. They banned loads of people running WINE and eventually reversed the bans.

I'm just... floored that they did it again. It's like they learned nothing.

The game wasn't designed for Linux. Why on earth would they be expected to "fix" the client for something that wasn't actually a problem?
06/25/2012 10:55 AMPosted by HackeZ
I have about 40~ ish friends who were banned from Diablo 3 play for using "3rd party programs" when all they were doing was using linux. If I am going to be banned when I am playing the game legitimately after gaming for 400 hours almost I would like a refund before I waste further time. Is there any discussion or some rule against using linux as your operating system?

you bought a windows game and are complaining that you cant play it on a linux machine?

perhaps you should think about that for a bit.
06/25/2012 12:20 PMPosted by Philtor
I am extremely disappointed to see so many ignorant people stating "run it at your own risk". Linux is not some hacker-special tool. In fact, if Microsoft's antimarketing campaign wasn't such a resounding success, Linux would've had a much more substantial chunk of the OS market. I repeat, Linux is not some dark and mysterious voodoo, rather a much more moddable and light on resources OS. This is akin to not having any support/banning on any of the apple machines... why? - blackmajikz and hackerzcentral!

OK... As a dedicated linux user, you're crazy. Linux would not have more of the market share because it doesn't run the same applications that windows does. It's also not plug and play with most hardware. For power users, it's a spectacular tool for network debugging, application development, and as a server platform. It will never be a widely used desktop OS.

I think he is taking the same stance linus torvalds is, "windows come prepackaged on pcs you buy thus its easier for the home user to take windows over linux" Which could be partially true but not to the extent that Linus makes it out to be.

06/25/2012 12:21 PMPosted by prizim
I have about 40~ ish friends who were banned from Diablo 3 play for using "3rd party programs" when all they were doing was using linux. If I am going to be banned when I am playing the game legitimately after gaming for 400 hours almost I would like a refund before I waste further time. Is there any discussion or some rule against using linux as your operating system?

you bought a windows game and are complaining that you cant play it on a linux machine?

I play the game just fine actually lol.
06/25/2012 12:21 PMPosted by prizim

He's complaining that he might be banned for using linux while not cheating. Perhaps read a little slower, think a little longer.
06/25/2012 12:17 PMPosted by Heinzman
But use linux before ever going MAC.

Hahaha... this is the funniest thing I have seen.. I guess you don't really know much about linux or the operating system inside that box with the apple on it.

To the OP: If your 40 friends can't play D3 why would you want to continue with it? Go play something else with them.
Edited by Psimana#1281 on 6/25/2012 12:25 PM PDT
God, people are foolish in General....

1. Warden has a 'hiccup' at times because of the way that Wine/Crossfire (Not bringing anything else like cedega into this- not familiar enough with it) API calls handle memory management. While it is incredibly similar, there are tiny differences that can may seem like a third party application is manipulating resources divested to Diablo 3- despite not doing so.

2. Yes, WoW used to have this issue some Eons ago. It no longer does. Been playing it in Wine for a while now (up until the moment I quite about 6 months ago anyhow) without any problems.

3. Surprisingly, a good lot of companies is beginning to develop or has already developed games for Linux. EA, Valve, Origin, S2Games, iD (Well, not so much develop native clients but the code-base remains the same and they toss out a Linux binary to launch, say, Quake 4, Doom 3 or ET:QW natively. Quake live has a native linux browser plugin for a while now). This is a small list, but I don't care to look up others at the moment.

The amount of code it would take Blizzard to change warden to tell whether Wine was in use? About a day's work at most- while swamped with other projects. No more than 100 lines, imho.

This is not simply a matter of 'LOLOL DERP DAT OS NAWT SUPPORTED HEE HEE I NO HOW CLICK BUTTANZ!111111', but an issue of willingness to support alternative platforms. From a corporate and customer-oriented standpoint, they would have to add further overhead (Staffing for documentation, technical support, community, etc etc) to support yet another platform.

For that matter, if you're familiar with some of the remarks that folks at Blizzard have said, it is that they are quite Linux friendly. However, continuing from my previous point: On the business tier they likely don't find the appeal in putting out a solid Linux client for their games since Linux still wavers at roughly 1~5% share (making it a distant third from the gorilla of the marketplace, but not tremendously far behind OS X, which has been fluctuating at an average 8~10%).

This last point is now a factor triply so, methinks, as Activizzard has mostly succumbed to greed.

----Edit-----

Right, forgot to mention one thing: Someone pointed out that Linux is not really plug and play with most hardware. Hogwash. Been using it as my main OS for some years now and its fine 99% of the time. The only time I've ever had an issue was with a wireless card on my buddy's laptop- but that's because the company has gone defunct and the driver needs to be downloaded for it.
Edited by CommonOddity#1371 on 6/25/2012 12:29 PM PDT
06/25/2012 12:15 PMPosted by FreakNigh
If they game can detect if it is run on linux, why not just make it so they can't log in so long as it is run under linux?

Because OS finger print is not hidable.

Every OSs remain their unique finger print on network.

The Wine is just windows api parts.

Network itself is linux's unique system.

You can modify wine, but you can not modifiy network system lot's reason including copy right issues.
Edited by zirize#3560 on 6/25/2012 12:31 PM PDT
Posted by Heinzman
But use linux before ever going MAC.

Hahaha... this is the funniest thing I have seen.. I guess you don't really know much about linux or the operating system inside that box with the apple on it.

While i admit i dont know much about linux. I do know that the crap that comes in the apple boxes are overpriced garbage made for the computer handicapped.
06/25/2012 12:23 PMPosted by HackeZ
I think he is taking the same stance linus torvalds is, "windows come prepackaged on pcs you buy thus its easier for the home user to take windows over linux" Which could be partially true but not to the extent that Linus makes it out to be.

That's pretty much it. I use linux every day, I even use it as a day to day desktop. However, when it's time to game, I fire up the Windows 7 VM.

Edit: It is apparent that people here are illiterate. His 40 friends are all IRC users whom the OP associates with online. A lot of you microsoft babies don't believe how successful Linux is. Yet because it is open source and available in hundreds of different distros you think it is garbage. While it is true that Linux, at least Ubuntu which I am most familiar with, does not have any form of native direct x these problems can easily be overcome utilizing some applications native to Linux.

TL--DR: Unless you have first hand experience using Linux you do not have any idea how successful or efficient Linux Distros can be.

We are not illiterate. Linux is an excellent operating system, but these 40 persons the OP associates with are not his friends. Let us stop using the word "friend" for everything, or it will have no meaning in the end (which is what other "illiterate" people here complain about). It is as if I called everyone on the Linux/Wine issues thread (here in the forums) My Friends. Yes, they are cool people helping each other, but I don't know them, we're just part of the same community.

Edit: by the time I wrote this the OP clarified they were not IRC people associating with him, they were his co-workers. I play games on Linux with my co-workers too. Co-worker would have been a much better and accurate word to use to begin your post, not Friends.
Edited by Pentalis#1676 on 6/25/2012 12:29 PM PDT
06/25/2012 10:58 AMPosted by Darthwraith
Not to sound rude but if u guys had done some research u would have found that blizzard said that they will not support 3rd party programs and will actively enforce it so if ur friends knew about it they shouldve have known theyd be caught.

do you even know what linux is ?
In order to run it on Linux, you're running some kind of emulation software, which was not accounted for by the developers, and that's what's triggering the bans.

Wine
Is
Not an
Emulator

Even if it was, so what? I could run Diablo 3 in a virtualbox on Windows/Mac/Linux and it wouldn't matter one bit.

Since Crossover (commercial software forked from Wine) now supports D3, a lot of Linux users will be playing it on their PCs. If the ban was due to this, then I'm sure they'll lift the bans once they figure it all out. Definitely contact them.

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=6277

Can't believe no one pointed this out. WINE stands for... Windows Emulator!
06/25/2012 10:55 AMPosted by HackeZ
after gaming for 400 hours almost I would like a refund
lol yeah, 400 hours entertainment for $60, you should definitely demand a refund.
that's .15 cents an hour, what a rip. like the last time I paid $9 for a movie and it didn't last 60 hours I totally demanded a refund.
Edited by walk2k#1921 on 6/25/2012 12:32 PM PDT
Discreating Linux users, just like ratial, gay discreating.

They are struggling for join for main stream(MS Windows or Mac)

Just they are not supported, so banned.

By the way if your have android phone, You are one of linux user.
Edited by zirize#3560 on 6/25/2012 12:32 PM PDT
In order to run it on Linux, you're running some kind of emulation software, which was not accounted for by the developers, and that's what's triggering the bans.

Wine
Is
Not an
Emulator

Even if it was, so what? I could run Diablo 3 in a virtualbox on Windows/Mac/Linux and it wouldn't matter one bit.

Since Crossover (commercial software forked from Wine) now supports D3, a lot of Linux users will be playing it on their PCs. If the ban was due to this, then I'm sure they'll lift the bans once they figure it all out. Definitely contact them.

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=6277

Can't believe no one pointed this out. WINE stands for... Windows Emulator!

No.

Edit: It is apparent that people here are illiterate. His 40 friends are all IRC users whom the OP associates with online. A lot of you microsoft babies don't believe how successful Linux is. Yet because it is open source and available in hundreds of different distros you think it is garbage. While it is true that Linux, at least Ubuntu which I am most familiar with, does not have any form of native direct x these problems can easily be overcome utilizing some applications native to Linux.

TL--DR: Unless you have first hand experience using Linux you do not have any idea how successful or efficient Linux Distros can be.

We are not illiterate. Linux is an excellent operating system, but these 40 persons the OP associates with are not his friends. Let us stop using the word "friend" for everything, or it will have no meaning in the end (which is what other "illiterate" people here complain about). It is as if I called everyone on the Linux/Wine issues thread (here in the forums) My Friends. Yes, they are cool people helping each other, but I don't know them, we're just part of the same community.

Edit: by the time I wrote this the OP clarified they were not IRC people associating with him, they were his co-workers. I play games on Linux with my co-workers too. Co-worker would have been a much better and accurate word to use to begin your post, not Friends.

They are actually my friends I hang out with them after work we do things together, but if we want to include IRC people which could be doing god knows what with the client I know alot more people who got banned lol
Linux is not the reason they are being banned, its because they are using a 3rd party program to load up D3.

Wine/Cedga is one of those 3Rd party programs that CAN cause blizzards system to trip if they team it with 'autohotkey'.

As it is, Wine/Cedga does weird things to DirectX/.Net applications, so add in another weird feature (auto hot key) and it will trip their system.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]