Diablo® III

People being banned for using Linux....

ITT: Idiots who are not system or network admins unnecessarily use *nix operating systems and play games on them.
You can figure out why a company like Steam would make an attempt to support Linux. It is surprising that the big game developers like EA are developing Linux versions given the size of the market. Somewhere like < 2% of all users have Linux on the desktop. Even if they get 80% of that < 2% market, that doesn't seem like much of a bump.
85 Goblin Rogue
I hope I dont get banned ever for using Linux. I have only used Linux since the DOS-OS/2-Win 3.1 days and pretty much never looked back. All my "non-Linux native" games work. Call of Duty, Dark Age of Camelot, etc etc. I have been playing WoW since the day it came out. Am an old Star Craft freak. I am a beta tester for Pandarien. Diablo 3 works great - never a glitch (well until 1.0.3 - but those are different stories).

Never been banned -- and hope never to ;-)

In fact I remember talking to a bliz tech ages ago and they actually tested WoW in Linux natively but wouldnt release it because the parent company doesnt want to support it. But they at least test it in wine for patch updates.

We are not illiterate. Linux is an excellent operating system, but these 40 persons the OP associates with are not his friends. Let us stop using the word "friend" for everything, or it will have no meaning in the end (which is what other "illiterate" people here complain about). It is as if I called everyone on the Linux/Wine issues thread (here in the forums) My Friends. Yes, they are cool people helping each other, but I don't know them, we're just part of the same community.

Edit: by the time I wrote this the OP clarified they were not IRC people associating with him, they were his co-workers. I play games on Linux with my co-workers too. Co-worker would have been a much better and accurate word to use to begin your post, not Friends.

They are actually my friends I hang out with them after work we do things together, but if we want to include IRC people which could be doing god knows what with the client I know alot more people who got banned lol

If this is indeed the case I side with the fact that to avoid the trolls you definitely should not have said friends. Although that is really splitting hairs and side-stepping the issue completely.
you people are retards.. seriously brown nosing like there is an award for it. Linux is not a "3rd party program" it's a friggin operating system. uneducated twits :/
You're emulating windows, Get windows, otherwise risk being banned.
06/25/2012 11:22 AMPosted by Lenymo
There have been multiple threads dealing with linux issues on tech support forum, including disconnects due to Warden with 64 bit OS, and no one has posted there saying they've been banned. No blue poster has said that playing on linux with wine counts as a 3rd party program or violation of ToS, since all it really does is create a Windows filesystem within the linux OS. Where are the threads full of outraged linux users complaining about being banned?

To be fair blue posters don't really respond to ANY issues that lots of people are having. They pick and choose which ones they want to respond to.
06/25/2012 12:34 PMPosted by RyzzhanZA
you people are retards.. seriously brown nosing like there is an award for it. Linux is not a "3rd party program" it's a friggin operating system. uneducated twits :/

No one is saying that it's a 3rd-party program (addendum: no one except one or two idiots). We're saying that the emulation software used to run it is a 3rd-party program that can throw up flags in Blizzard's security system.
90 Worgen Warlock
06/25/2012 12:20 PMPosted by Philtor
I am extremely disappointed to see so many ignorant people stating "run it at your own risk". Linux is not some hacker-special tool. In fact, if Microsoft's antimarketing campaign wasn't such a resounding success, Linux would've had a much more substantial chunk of the OS market. I repeat, Linux is not some dark and mysterious voodoo, rather a much more moddable and light on resources OS. This is akin to not having any support/banning on any of the apple machines... why? - blackmajikz and hackerzcentral!

OK... As a dedicated linux user, you're crazy. Linux would not have more of the market share because it doesn't run the same applications that windows does. It's also not plug and play with most hardware. For power users, it's a spectacular tool for network debugging, application development, and as a server platform. It will never be a widely used desktop OS.

You are forgetting why that happened. Mac OS seems to run just fine for an average user (we are not going to debate historical accuracy here, but both of them are from the BSD camp and utilize similar features on a number of levels.). The problem was a disaster of a launch thanks to Microsoft that really put a damper on a wide-spread release. Instead, Linux ended up focusing on the power-user share of the market, rather than attempting to appeal to the majority. You are right in one thing though - it will never be popular. But it did have potential to...
06/25/2012 12:35 PMPosted by Xbon

WINE means WINE Is Not an Emulator.

We're not emulating Windows.

Edit: it's not an emulator, it's a compatibility layer.
Edited by Pentalis#1676 on 6/25/2012 12:39 PM PDT
06/25/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Ballmangler
ITT: Idiots who are not system or network admins unnecessarily use *nix operating systems and play games on them.

Linux is free and has lower hardware requirements than Windows or the Mac so it has a bigger draw outside the US and EU. But running a Windows app in wine cancels out any speed advantage.
No one is saying that it's a 3rd-party program (addendum: no one except one or two idiots). We're saying that the emulation software used to run it is a 3rd-party program that can throw up flags in Blizzard's security system.

Wine is not an emulator. Read up on how it runs apps, it actually converts API calls into something linux can execute.
06/25/2012 12:35 PMPosted by Xbon

Is it legal to force someone to use windows for a video game? I mean i can understand if you void any warranty or customer service since im sure their customer service is only trained for windows/mac. But this reminds me a lot of when Internet explorer was forcing people to use one search engine, they were made to change that. I feel like if you buy a piece of software you should be able to use it period. What if windows just paid all software developers to say, "we only support windows you will lose your right to use the software if you dont use windows" That wouldnt be legal now would it. I'm not saying that blizzard needs to design their game for use on all systems, but if someone can get the game to work on Their operating system what is the problem?
06/25/2012 12:38 PMPosted by Burps
You are forgetting why that happened. Mac OS seems to run just fine for an average user (we are not going to debate historical accuracy here, but both of them are from the BSD camp and utilize similar features on a number of levels.). The problem was a disaster of a launch thanks to Microsoft that really put a damper on a wide-spread release. Instead, Linux ended up focusing on the power-user share of the market, rather than attempting to appeal to the majority. You are right in one thing though - it will never be popular. But it did have potential to...

That's a really good point, I can't argue that.
Linux is not the reason they are being banned, its because they are using a 3rd party program to load up D3.

Wine/Cedga is one of those 3Rd party programs that CAN cause blizzards system to trip if they team it with 'autohotkey'.

As it is, Wine/Cedga does weird things to DirectX/.Net applications, so add in another weird feature (auto hot key) and it will trip their system.

Ye be slightly misinformed to say the least.

Wine is not a '3rd party program'. It is an API implementation. Are you familiar mayhaps with the Oracle vs Google trial on Dalvik and Java (Should point out, Oracle got smacked down pretty well)? That is an excellent example of this. The same Java API calls exist in both Sun's (Well, now Oracle's) Java and Android's Dalvik. The difference is in the underlying code. The structure remains similar as well so that expected packages, classes, etc- can be expected to be in a certain spot- and do show up even in the Android implementation.

In Wine's case: It is an implementation by which, API calls that exist in Windows, are basically being handled for Windows applications on Linux. Windows speaks Greek. Linux speaks Italian. Imagine Wine being a 'translator', so to speak, as one of its major functions. This way Windows apps that speak Greek can be understood and spoken with by Linux.

Horrible analogy, I know, but it's the closest thing I could think of that might shed some light on the matter.

-----

That aside. Yes, autohotkey could be something that Warden gets finicky over. But this is not a Linux issue. If you're using autohotkey in Windows, it's likely equally finicky (as most input and whatnot mimics user behavior, sure, but we don't know what warden checks for EXACTLY. They could have the binary blacklisted, etc etc).

Just curious, what 'weird things' do you speak of?
06/25/2012 12:40 PMPosted by mystified

Is it legal to force someone to use windows for a video game? I mean i can understand if you void any warranty or customer service since im sure their customer service is only trained for windows/mac. But this reminds me a lot of when Internet explorer was forcing people to use one search engine, they were made to change that. I feel like if you buy a piece of software you should be able to use it period. What if windows just paid all software developers to say, "we only support windows you will lose your right to use the software if you dont use windows" That wouldnt be legal now would it. I'm not saying that blizzard needs to design their game for use on all systems, but if someone can get the game to work on Their operating system what is the problem?

Yes, it's legal to develop software that only works on specific OS platforms, which is all that's been done here.

You aren't being "forced" to use Windows. The game is experiencing issues because it's being run using 3rd-party software, which can set off alarm bells for Blizzard's security.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]