Diablo® III

Leoric Question.

Does anyone know if there is anyone else in the history of this game's lore that has been able to "resist" possession, as Leoric did in Diablo 1? It would seem to me that this has to tie into some sort of explanation as to why Diablo has been interested in his lineage.
Reply Quote
06/26/2012 03:08 PMPosted by Sean
Does anyone know if there is anyone else in the history of this game's lore that has been able to "resist" possession, as Leoric did in Diablo 1? It would seem to me that this has to tie into some sort of explanation as to why Diablo has been interested in his lineage.

Diablo was weak from being imprisoned for centuries in a stone, that is why he possessed Albrecht. The obsession with Leoric's line didn't have anything to do (and in fact was a lame addition by Blizzard into the story) with the selection of Leoric, simply the weak soul of Albrecht. In fact, in original lore, Diablo simply selects them because of their position of power/suseptibility.

There is no lore backing for any of this, it is thrown together by a bunch of hacks.

And for a lore referance, the dark wanderer was able to resist Diablo for a time, before the fully recharged diablo (feasting on the terror of Tristram during Leorics mad rampage looking for his only son) finally won the battle. (Diablo doesn't assume full control until approaching Baal to free him).
Reply Quote
You didn't answer my question.
Reply Quote
06/27/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Sean
You didn't answer my question.

I did, read the lore.

Diablo choses Albrecht because he can posses him, he cannot posses Leoric, but he corrupts his mind to get what he wants/needs, the terror of the town to feed on. He doesn't chose anyone in the town, because he can't poses him. Its simple logic here...

There is no higher meaning here. Again, read the lore that you have obviously not read.
Edited by Covered#1591 on 6/27/2012 8:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
No, you didn't answer it: I'm asking if there's anyone else out there in the currently established lore that's been able to resist possession. I'm not asking why Leoric was able to resist Diablo, just if he's the only one.
Edited by Sean#1744 on 6/27/2012 9:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There was the one failed attempt were Diablo tried to possess Uldyssian (leader of a upstart nephalem army from the Sin War) thus gain his nephalem power for his own. However that man welded near godly abilities and turned the Lord of Terror's mastery over fear against him, sending himself fleeing in terror. Heh.

Maybe there could been also a few human lords here and there that resisted demonic possession by the Prime Evils during their Dark Exile before the Horadrim were sent after them.

The only interest Diablo could had in Leoric's family was due to their status as monarchs, a position of authority he could exploit but one he did not purse after. Leoric, Albrecht, and Aiden simple had the misfortune of being such a family over the site of his imprisonment, and with Leah in extension.

EDIT: BTW Deckard Cain does give mention in Book of Cain on the considered idea if a part of Aiden still had some control over his actions while Diablo aimed to free his brothers in the east. Allowing the D2 heroes to defeat/exorcise the Lord of Terror, holding back Diablo if you will. Food for thought.
Edited by Eroldren#1960 on 6/27/2012 10:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/27/2012 09:18 PMPosted by Sean
No, you didn't answer it: I'm asking if there's anyone else out there in the currently established lore that's been able to resist possession. I'm not asking why Leoric was able to resist Diablo, just if he's the only one.

Yes, I did. If you are looking for a specific instance in which a demon attempted to posses and failed and is clearly stated, then there is not a specific instance in which he would have failed.

However, if you read the lore, and use some reading comprehension which you obviously fail to have, it states that "Diablo, in his weakened state, was not able to fully possess Leoric. Diablo knew that as long as a sliver of Leoric's humanity remained, he would not be a suitable vessle. Thus Diablo began a search for a suitable soul to possess in his weakened state. He found one in young Albrecht."

The implication, if I have to spell it out for you, is that all of the souls in Tristam would have been too difficult for Diablo to possess in his weakened state. You are trying to read for a special meaning, there is none.

Edit: The lore implies that Visjeri Mages were able to resist corruption from demon forces that they summoned.
Edited by Covered#1591 on 7/1/2012 1:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
No, you didn't. Eroldren did.

You should go back and read the original question before you start ranting about reading comprehension, or responding with these walls of text which are tl;dr for me at this point.
Reply Quote
22 Human Warlock
@Covered, before you blast someone for lack of reading comprehesion, make sure you have some. He isnt asking about Leoric, he's asking about if ANYONE ELSE in history of Diablo has resisted being posssessed, relatively simple question you failed to answer three times now.
Reply Quote
@ covered. Yeh man, how could you not gauge what the OP was specifically getting at. ?
Reply Quote
View profile
ok look: heres official lore:

King leoric was chosen for possession by diablo because he had the strongest position, body, and mind, which would suit diablo perfectly. but diablo was never able to possess him, so he surrendered and left leoric's mind weak and on the brink of madness from the struggle. kidnapping his youngest son was the alternative option, and it finished leorics mind off.

does that clear some things up?

resist posession:

1.leoric
2.wanderer
3.1 person in act one diablo 3 resisted before becoming zombie
4.izual (may not count)

at least 3.
Edited by WitchDoctor#1834 on 7/5/2012 2:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]