Diablo® III

Ancient Aliens, infuriating, no?

It basically implies that humans from the ancient world were morons who couldn't figure out anything themselves.

"Stupid ancient Egyptians, they had no grasp of mechanical engineering. Obviously they needed aliens to help them build the pyramids."

"Stupid Pythagorous, ancient greeks had no grasp of mathematics. Obviously he needed the help of aliens to understand triangles."

Discuss:Ancient civilizations couldn't move rocks without the help of anti gravity beams.
Reply Quote
You can thank Erich von Däniken, author of Chariots of the Gods for most people who believe this nonsense.

Thankfully Horizon/NOVA produced a show in 1977 which completely debunked all of his claims:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DsOjqHm-VY
Reply Quote
I still like to watch these type of shows for the heck of it ... interesting and always love conspiracy theories (not saying they're real ... just enjoy hearing about them).
Reply Quote
Its odd, I just recently found out that Robert Clotworthy, the voice of James Raynor from StarCraft also the narrator Ancient Aliens. Never did click with me.
Reply Quote
06/27/2012 09:38 PMPosted by Eroldren
Its odd, I just recently found out that Robert Clotworthy, the voice of James Raynor from StarCraft also the narrator Ancient Aliens. Never did click with me.

Well, in Starcraft he's a space cowboy; In Ancient Aliens he's a space moron.
Reply Quote
Ancient Aliens makes a very solid storyline for a movie.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
07/09/2012 12:51 PMPosted by MantisFRK
Ancient Aliens makes a very solid storyline for a movie.

You mean like Stargate?
Reply Quote
One of my idiot friends told me just yesteday "DUUUDE YOU GOTTA WATCH ANCIENT ALIENS!!"

I facepalmed and gave him several links to sites debunking that nonsense.
Reply Quote
One of my idiot friends told me just yesteday "DUUUDE YOU GOTTA WATCH ANCIENT ALIENS!!"

I facepalmed and gave him several links to sites debunking that nonsense.

Not yesterday but earlier this week for me. Instead of doing that, I watched it. And laughed. Maybe that was a bit irresponsible of me, in hindsight.
Reply Quote
Its just fun food for thought, trying to kindle the hope that we really aren't all this universe has to offer...

EDIT: It also has more of logical explanation of our understanding of "god"
Edited by KamakziChimp#1534 on 7/24/2012 5:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
"If we don't learn from History Channel, we're doomed to repeat History Channel"
Reply Quote
I'm probably schizophrenic, but I don't think it'd be too hard to believe that humans have already been infiltrated by aliens a long long time ago. All of the famous great people you hear about or when they are referenced, like Socrates, Newton, Da Vinci, Nikola Tesla, Albert Einstein, Freud, and probably a whole bunch of countless others... there is no way humans can get that smart. Aliens must have modified them in some way, or they were aliens themselves disguised as humans.

Even certain artists that are alive now, I bet Buckethead is an alien.

Damn, I probably shouldn't of watched Men in Black.
Reply Quote
I think it's a fun infotainment show. Don't take it to seriously, it's just another tv show. If you believe anything coming out of that box to be truth without looking for outside verification your failing anyway. At the end of the day, it's no more ludicrous what they come up with then what comes from any religious leader or text.
Reply Quote
09/05/2012 02:20 AMPosted by TheDollars
. Not to say there aren't some very smart people out there, but they gained knowledge from sources that are institutionalized and generally available. The information flow had to start somewhere and I just don't see early civilization figuring all that !@#$ out.

That is actually quite demeaning to those ancient peoples. They are, after all, fully human. If you had a time machine (bare with me...) and grabbed a child born 20,000 years ago out of a cave, and stuck said child into a classroom, you'd notice no difference in the child's abilities compared to "modern" man. This is because a human is a human, ancient or modern. They had the same mental capacity as we do. Mind you, I understand that MOST knowledge has already been learned, and very few is discovered, but to imply that since discovery is rare humans cannot make significant innovations is simply wrong. Innovation, that spark of genius and true discovery IS rare. Exceedingly so. But this rarity IS NOT impossible. It is merely genius.
Reply Quote
At the following website, there is a picture of Egyptians with oxen.

http://bibliodyssey.blogspot.com/2009/12/classical-egypt.html

Why is this important?

Every SINGLE time I see somebody trying to figure out how the Egyptians built the pyramids (or other massive structures), they get a bunch of people moving those massive blocks around! I strongly suspect that they used oxen (because the ancient Egyptians were not absolute idiots) to move the blocks somewhere close to their final location, and then used skilled man power to finesse the blocks into exactly the correct location. Go on Youtube and look at what just one draft animal can pull on a sled. Now imagine what a team of 50 of them could do. Could the pharaoh of Egypt afford 50 oxen? I am pretty sure he could easily afford thousands of oxen.

And I agree with the poster above that points out that geniuses existed in olden times, just as they do today.

Some early civilizations did have higher education. Egypt, the Chaldean/Babylonian/Persian/Medes/Assyrians (but especially the Chaldeans), ancient India, and ancient China all had math and science. The Chaldean empire came before the Babylonian empire. During the Babylonian empire, men who were highly educated in the science of their time were sometimes called Chaldeans (even if they were not ethnically Chaldean) because the term became synonymous with being very educated (in astrology/astronomy).

P.S. I love Stargate. I wish all the Stargate series were still on the air.
Edited by Nutjob#1921 on 9/18/2012 8:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Don't even get me started on this crap. My Dad actually buys into this bull!@#$ hook, line and sinker, I'm utterly amazed. But then again this is the same guy(my dad) that listens to all the Rush Limbaugh bs and thinks Glenn Beck literally talks to god....I don't know how we're related.
Reply Quote
There's lots of lies about the past circulating around because of the cumulative error in verbal transmission of information (a.k.a. Chinese whispers ).

Because of bad hearsay, you get things like "egiptians build the pyramids with slaves" when they actually had paid employees doing that.

Lies and innocent made-up stories escalate if you leave the be. Look at religions.

You don't need aliens or supernatural beings to move big things around. Just one brain, and some woods and stones.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQBDhkBfr0
Edited by Mithrán#2507 on 10/18/2012 8:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
This is a horrible show that twists truths and makes up whole lies.

Came across this video after it was mentioned in the Joe Rogan Podcast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w-i5oZqaQ. Its called acient aliens debunked, it's three hours long and well worth the watch. It is also split up by the subjects so its easy to watch a couple and then others later.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]