Diablo® III

Clarification question on Hotfix Rate changes

Yeah but what is this madness

Items

The drop rates for high-end items (items level 61-63) have been increased for Acts III and IV of Hell difficulty and Acts I – IV of Inferno difficulty:

The new approximate drop rates are as follows:

Hell – Act III and Act IV

iLvl 61: 13.9%, up from 9%
iLvl 62: 3.45%, up from 1.9%
iLvl 63: 0% (no change)

Inferno – Act I

iLvl 61: 23.9%, up from 17.7%
iLvl 62: 12.6%, up from 7.9%
iLvl 63: 4.8%, up from 2.0%

Inferno – Act II

iLvl 61: 23.3%, up from 18.6%
iLvl 62: 18.6%, up from 12.4%
iLvl 63: 9.3%, up from 4.1%

Inferno – Act III and Act IV

iLvl 61: 27.1%, up from 24.1%
iLvl 62: 21.7%, up from 16.1%
iLvl 63: 16.3%, up from 8.0%

Act 2 has LESS chance to drop level 61 than act 1? o.O this is crazy.

Because A2 also has a less chance for 55-60 than A1 does. Remember the percentage includes the 50's and lvl 60 items. A3 and A4 now have only a 35.9% chance to drop 55-60 rares down from an unacceptable 52.8% (more than half the time!). Besides you do realize you're talking about POINT 6 percent right? Doesn't really make a difference...

Well if it matters to you. It's actually 34.9%... But that's better right!! :-P
Reply Quote
It's clear now. Thank you for the update and thank you for putting in the decimal place, it matters when dealing with such small numbers.

+1 for 1.0.3b
Reply Quote
gotta wait n see
Reply Quote

Because A2 also has a less chance for 55-60 than A1 does. Remember the percentage includes the 50's and lvl 60 items. A3 and A4 now have only a 35.9% chance to drop 55-60 rares down from an unacceptable 52.8% (more than half the time!). Besides you do realize you're talking about POINT 6 percent right? Doesn't really make a difference...

Well if it matters to you. It's actually 34.9%... But that's better right!! :-P

EVEN BETTER INDEED! (Must have slipped on my calc thanks lol)
Reply Quote
06/28/2012 11:39 AMPosted by Lylirra
Shoulda used -> instead of just - :P

Yeah, you're probably right. I actually had "-->" in there originally, but it formatted all funny in the blog. :(

That said, I'm totally willing to ignore my need for perfect formatting for the sake of communicating the change clearly. So, it's time for a vote! (Sort of.)

If you think I should go back and change this:

iLvl 61: 17.7% to 23.9%
iLvl 62: 7.9% to 12.6%
iLvl 63: 2.0% to 4.8%

To this:

iLvl 61: 17.7% --> 23.9%
iLvl 62: 7.9% --> 12.6%
iLvl 63: 2.0% --> 4.8%

Let me know, and it shall be done.

This is fine and not confusing. I don't understand how someone would think that is a drop rate range, when drop rate range is not mentioned and drop rate increase is.
Reply Quote
I prefer the ==> arrows
Reply Quote
06/28/2012 11:25 AMPosted by boba
Well, its obvious isn't it...how could a drop rate be a range ? the post clearly states rates increased, the first value matches the ones posted on patch 1.0.3.

rofl, nothing else in this game is based on random or range?
Reply Quote
06/28/2012 11:31 AMPosted by TheSkunk

I can see how it could be read either way. So, to clarify using your example: the drop rate was previously 17.7%, it has been increased to 23.9%. It's not a range. :)

Thanks for the hotfix btw.

The game is a lot more fun to play.

Indeed.
Reply Quote
Cross posted from my other thread:

These are just some numbers I collected since 1.0.3 went live. This is from farming Act 3, getting at least 5 stacks, and then killing Azmodan/Cydaea. Here's the breakdown:

--------
Total Rares: 55
60-: 30 (54%)
61: 16 (29%)
62: 7 (13%)
63: 2 (04%)

1.0.3a?
-------
Total Rares: 27
60-: 8 (30%)
61: 7 (26%)
62: 8 (30%)
63: 4 (14%)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
06/28/2012 11:39 AMPosted by Lylirra
Shoulda used -> instead of just - :P

Yeah, you're probably right. I actually had "-->" in there originally, but it formatted all funny in the blog. :(

That said, I'm totally willing to ignore my need for perfect formatting for the sake of communicating the change clearly. So, it's time for a vote! (Sort of.)

If you think I should go back and change this:

To this:

iLvl 61: 17.7% --> 23.9%
iLvl 62: 7.9% --> 12.6%
iLvl 63: 2.0% --> 4.8%

Let me know, and it shall be done.

How about:

iLvl 61: old rate 17.7% - new rate 23.9%

Abbreviated communication doesnt work so well when you have to go back and explain what you mean.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
Frankly a range makes MORE sense. I.E. -- early Inferno Act 1 drops at x%, increasing to y% by the end of the Act. It should gradually get better. So farming early Act II is about as effective as farming late Act 1. That makes sense to me. It should continue to ramp up throughout the game

The chances of getting an item of each item level are even throughout an entire Act. The hotfix note provides "approximate" rates because there are minor variances based on item type, and the % listed is an approximate aggregate across all item types (for the item level in a specific Act).

06/28/2012 01:11 PMPosted by Onigato
...and the new format has been chosen.

Your feedback combined...!

Hopefully those edits help nix any lingering confusion. I'll make sure similar formatting/wording is used for future notes, as well, if applicable. :)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
06/28/2012 11:33 AMPosted by Hannzo24
Why use such decimals? Wouldn't it be easier to simply round it to 24%?

Are you seriously going to nitpick about something like that? I'm sure most people that play this game would rather have a very accurate number rather than approximation. It's like Blizzard can't do anything at all to make some people happy. I'm sure it took much more effort for you to login, type your comment, and submit it than it took for them to type the decimal places in their numbers.

Thank you for the detailed information, Blizzard.
Reply Quote
A more useful measure of the rewards available in act II vs act 1 is looking at what percentage of items that drop will be lvl61 or higher.

Sadly, since 99.9% of them will be garbage the most important thing is that you get a useful material for breaking it down.
Reply Quote
Will the quality of these drops be better as well, because increasing the rate of crappy drops even if it's a Lvl 63 will kind of be pointless. It just means you get more drops of garbage.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid

Are you seriously going to nitpick about something like that? I'm sure most people that play this game would rather have a very accurate number rather than approximation. It's like Blizzard can't do anything at all to make some people happy. I'm sure it took much more effort for you to login, type your comment, and submit it than it took for them to type the decimal places in their numbers.

Thank you for the detailed information, Blizzard.

I'm pretty sure the poster you quoted wasn't talking about the numbers released but instead about the actual percentage implemented.
But seriously, have fun running LFR for the 20th time.

Don't get butt hurt for someone else.

Oh, and raiding makes you cooler on the internet, right?
Edited by Abjuration#1939 on 6/28/2012 6:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/28/2012 03:29 PMPosted by froogle
Will the quality of these drops be better as well, because increasing the rate of crappy drops even if it's a Lvl 63 will kind of be pointless. It just means you get more drops of garbage.

That is a great question, indeed.
I have played around Act1 Inferno to find something for my DH, but I only can use 2 items only but then I had to sale very soon.
The quality of the item and relevant properties of items to playing heroes must be considered by Blizzards too.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]