Diablo® III

High Crit (52%) WW build + Videos (Act3)

Been running almost this same build for a while now and finally made a video the other day. It's my typical Act3 farming run

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI8oC5bNmbo
Reply Quote

Short fuse is interchangeable with chained reaction. But I prefer short fuse for the instant damage. I like Frost Nova - Deep Freeze over any other choice because more often than not, there will be trash monsters around for an extra 15% crit; played right, you can keep them out of WW/EB range but within nova range. 60%+ crit guarantees a permastun provided you have the twisters in place.

Chain reaction can be cast without interrupting your whirlwind spamming, so it's actually better

Cold snap makes for 3ish less procs that you need to refresh frost nova, so it's better because when fighting bosses and champ packs there is rarely more than 5 mobs around you which makes that run worthless.
Edited by Pwn#1595 on 6/28/2012 10:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
For the love of god why do wizards keep stacking so much resists and neglecting armor? It makes no sense, even if you ignore the fact that energy armor boosts your armor by 65% you still should even out the res and armor.
Reply Quote
Great video! What's your dps?
Reply Quote
06/28/2012 09:52 PMPosted by tevstevs
For the love of god why do wizards keep stacking so much resists and neglecting armor? It makes no sense, even if you ignore the fact that energy armor boosts your armor by 65% you still should even out the res and armor.

My resists give me 70% damage reduction while armor gives me 65% armor reduction... I don't really see the problem here.

06/28/2012 10:07 PMPosted by Lackdaz
Great video! What's your dps?

Short fuse is interchangeable with chained reaction. But I prefer short fuse for the instant damage. I like Frost Nova - Deep Freeze over any other choice because more often than not, there will be trash monsters around for an extra 15% crit; played right, you can keep them out of WW/EB range but within nova range. 60%+ crit guarantees a permastun provided you have the twisters in place.

Chain reaction can be cast without interrupting your whirlwind spamming, so it's actually better

Cold snap makes for 3ish less procs that you need to refresh frost nova, so it's better because when fighting bosses and champ packs there is rarely more than 5 mobs around you which makes that run worthless.

Short Fuse can be cast without interrupting the same... so what's the issue here? I use short fuse for instant damage. The extra damage from chain reaction is negligible, I prefer being able to DPS on demand. Again, its all up to preference.

Cold snap when my crit rate is this high on crit doesn't do much. Also, you can keep trash mobs outside of EB range but within nova range; use it to your advantage for an extra 15% crit.

I've actually found my limiting factor at the moment related to attack speed. I find my cooldowns are usually up but I'm busy casting WW to keep frost nova going.
Edited by epicol#1228 on 6/28/2012 10:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I too find no issues with casting Short Fuse and interrupting anything. Also, I find no issues with my crit, which only sits at 32%, and getting the needed procs to reset each of my cooldowns, thus making Cold Snap worthless. Bone Chill rune and the Crit Boosting rune are the best in this situation. I see no difference with any cooldown reduction rune or passive.

Your arguement is focused against elites, or small groups. Smaller groups shouldn't ever be an issue, and fighting elites is dependant on the situation. If there is elites and the mob, keep the mob up as long as possible while focusing the elites (use the range of nova to help). Basically, suck the life out of the mob while you keep the elites frozen. If there is no mob and just elites, just keep stacking your WW and freezing when you can. If you can get them grouped the better. Yes the rune will not work, however most of the time I can have multiple things frozen, but if you feel you suffer more than gain, Bone Chill is a better alternative than Cold Snap.
Reply Quote
I too find no issues with casting Short Fuse and interrupting anything. Also, I find no issues with my crit, which only sits at 32%, and getting the needed procs to reset each of my cooldowns, thus making Cold Snap worthless. Bone Chill rune and the Crit Boosting rune are the best in this situation. I see no difference with any cooldown reduction rune or passive.

Your arguement is focused against elites, or small groups. Smaller groups shouldn't ever be an issue, and fighting elites is dependant on the situation. If there is elites and the mob, keep the mob up as long as possible while focusing the elites (use the range of nova to help). Basically, suck the life out of the mob while you keep the elites frozen. If there is no mob and just elites, just keep stacking your WW and freezing when you can. If you can get them grouped the better. Yes the rune will not work, however most of the time I can have multiple things frozen, but if you feel you suffer more than gain, Bone Chill is a better alternative than Cold Snap.

UPDATE! Short Fuse DOES HAVE A CAST ANIMATION. This become VERY noticebable at higher crits when its always off of cooldown and you have to wait for WW to finish casting. Chain Reaction does NOT have a cast animation and can therefore be cast without ANY delay.

In addition, Frost Nova is also limited by cast animation. So the rune that reduces CD and the crit chance rune are useless if you have high enough crit chance already, its just counterproductive since you have to wait for WW cast to end. Swap out those useless runes for Bone Chill! Use nothing else!
Edited by epicol#1228 on 6/29/2012 9:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Very interesting build. Finally, something that doesn't require 8-10k armor and 1k+ all resists and each piece of gear to be worth 10m+ gold. However, that weapon must cost a fortune. Would this work with a lesser weapon?

Also, what about real hard hitters: when you have killed off all minions and only the champion is left, and he hits real hard (e.g. something like a colossal golgor) - do you still get enough crits to keep him frozen and heal up?

And what about mobs that have knock-back? They can disrupt your casting chain and knock you out of their pack. How do you overcome that?
Edited by Axxius#1224 on 6/29/2012 1:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Very interesting build. Finally, something that doesn't require 8-10k armor and 1k+ all resists and each piece of gear to be worth 10m+ gold. However, that weapon must cost a fortune. Would this work with any lesser weapon?

I bought the weapon for 1.2m approximately 1 week ago from a forum thread http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5889160892#9

This was before the WW craze. I actually tested it out with CM the night I got it expecting it not to work with CM, but was surprised to see it working well. The next morning when I checked the forum and the first "WW / CM" threads were appearing. It was quite a strange coincidence.

I'm not quite sure how well it would work with a different weapon. But as long as you can aim for ~45% crit (very possible without this particular weapon) you should be fine.

Also, what about real hard hitters: when you have killed off all minions and only the champion is left, and he hits real hard (e.g. something like a colossal golgor) - do you still get enough crits to keep him frozen and heal up?

And what about mobs that have knock-back? They can disrupt your casting chain and knock you out of their pack. How do you overcome that?

Yes, even with a single elite remaining there are plenty of crits with this high of crit chance to keep him more or less permastunned; diamond skin absorbing the rare stray hit that does go through.

Knockback isn't TOO much of an issue, sure its annoying but its definitely nothing to fret over. I did just run across some ranged invuln minions with nightmarish (and frozen on the main one)... but with my crit rate so high and CM procs going like crazy it wasnt too hard since diamond skin is still spammable and teleport to close the distance quickly.
Edited by epicol#1228 on 6/29/2012 1:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh yeah, Frozen was my next question. How do you deal with a pack of Frozen elites? If you stay with them - they freeze you and break the stun chain for a few sec. You can get DS off while frozen, but since we are not talking about 10k armor/1k AR here - if they hit hard enough they will get through DS.
Reply Quote
06/29/2012 02:00 PMPosted by Axxius
Oh yeah, Frozen was my next question. How do you deal with a pack of Frozen elites? If you stay with them - they freeze you and break the stun chain for a few sec. You can get DS off while frozen, but since we are not talking about 10k armor/1k AR here - if they hit hard enough they will get through DS.

Teleport out to safety right before they blow up and [instantly due to CM] teleport back in. Even when the stray freeze does hit you diamond skin is still useable while stunned, provided you don't get 1 shot by getting hit by several blasts. So as long as you have tornadoes up, you're safe spamming diamond skin still.

I just came across a perfect elite pack to demonstrate: Bloodclan Mages with Frozen, Vortex, Damage Reflect, Extra Health. Stay tuned while I kill them and upload! Unfortunately, my laptop is lagging really bad right now due to overheating. I have to wait a while before the recording program can function correctly to fight them.
Edited by epicol#1228 on 6/29/2012 2:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Doesn't chain reaction reset each cast, so you actually only get 93% weapon damage per cast?

I remember when I used unleashed I seemed to 'lose' casts that hadn't finished.

Let me know.

No. Chain reaction does not reset on recast. Every cast stacks and does a full 3 blasts. It gets absolutely RIDICULOUS when you can cast it 2-3 times a second.
Reply Quote
Teleport out to safety right before they blow up and [instantly due to CM] teleport back in. Even when the stray freeze does hit you diamond skin is still useable while stunned, provided you don't get 1 shot by getting hit by several blasts. So as long as you have tornadoes up, you're safe spamming diamond skin still.

I just came across a perfect elite pack to demonstrate: Bloodclan Mages with Frozen, Vortex, Damage Reflect, Extra Health. Stay tuned while I kill them and upload!

That should be fun to watch! You teleport out of the frozen shards and they instantly Vortex you right back in?
Reply Quote
Next question: how many tornadoes is reasonable to keep up? 2? 3? In your videos it looks like you are mashing 123 but don't click mouse very often.
Reply Quote
If you had more LoH, I'd suggest trying out Diamond Shards in place of Crystal Shell - more novas, more fun (literally people can't see whats going on in melee range - I love it). (I run that - and Safe Passage instead of Fracture). Great build and I've been doing this for a while as well. And yes Chain Reaction > Short Fuse.

Question - you confirm that Cold Blooded is working? How? You don't have cold weapon, or does this proc because of Frost Nova?
Reply Quote
06/29/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Axxius
Next question: how many tornadoes is reasonable to keep up? 2? 3? In your videos it looks like you are mashing 123 but don't click mouse very often.

I use spacebar to move around most of the time. Click is usually only to cast spells (shift+click). When casting spells, mouse buttons don't "click in / grey out" like the other buttons do. I assure you, I am spamming those just as often! :D

PS: Video uploading. It isn't pretty... but it'll be up shortly.
Reply Quote
What about Shielding?

This example: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5911721733 - a similar build, but the dude has godly gear, 100x(?) more expensive than yours, still gets killed, and says that basically he has to tank Shielding mobs straight up, i.e. needs even more expensive gear. That's a bit disheartening for those hoping to find a melee wiz build that works with 'budget' gear.

How do you get crits when the mobs shield up?
Reply Quote
I would like to make the claim that I think I could have done better if my computer wasn't overheating and gave me a decent frame rate... but I don't know if that's true. This fight was HARD.

I'll be honest and say this was my 3rd attempt. The other 2 I rage quit after the first death because of the lag my computer was getting (Core Temp showed 78-80C temperature on the processors with 50% modulation... very bad). But on this 3rd attempt I realized nothing will change, it's a really hot day and should just get on with it. You'll also see I almost rage quit after my death in this attempt as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE289qAdjJk

Enjoy!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]