Diablo® III

To Blizzard: Clarification regarding feedback

06/28/2012 06:52 PMPosted by Bip
Just a thought: Aion had a sort of in-game survey where periodically they would submit questions to the playerbase as they logged in (which they could take, or skip) where they would pose questions to the users, and as an incentive for giving them information they wanted, the user taking the survey would usually get a little token reward, such as consumables or fashion (non-game-altering) rewards.

I like this idea. I posted something similar before, about a feedback button in the game itself, where you can leave ideas the moment you have them. This would have the pro of being accessible by players who don't visit forums, but the con of potentially flooding Blizzard with feedback, especially duplicates.

I like the idea of a survey better, as you suggested. When I played Guild Wars 2 in their beta weekends, I noticed that in many major events, they would pop a survey screen that asks you to rate, from 1 to 5, if you thought what you just did was fun, quality of story, whether the characters were engaging or not, etc. Something like this could prove quite useful.
Reply Quote
At some point almost all the people who are left will like the changes you made.

Hopefully you'll do some sampling of people who've chosen not to play anymore and offered them a short poll to rate the frequent reasons cited as applying to them

and give an "other" box to put another idea in 180 charactes or less for the twitter generations to be able to have the patience to read
Reply Quote
The commercialization of RMAH and exclusiveness of EC items like angelic wings is likely to drive players to spend money on other games.
I would choose to invest my money on other Xbox or Playstation games, they have a better graphic and they don't suck your money in this way.
It is stupid to spend money buying some item that could only be used in this game, and they are not even part of any intellectual property,which should have all been included in the initial money paid upon the purchase of the complete game.
How much competency does Diablo 3 have as comparing to other tittles?
The age where Diablo 3 lives no longer guarantees the semi monopolic status as that of Diablo 2, now players are aware of the various options available at the game market, if you take a look at the pace tittles are been released, will you not make a wiser choice in getting another game other than to allow yourself to be sequestered in this narrow world of Diablo?
Edited by Samuel#1551 on 6/28/2012 7:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The commercialization of RMAH and exclusiveness of EC items like angelic wings is likely to drive players to spend money on other games.
I would choose to invest my money on other Xbox or Playstation games, they have a better graphic and they don't suck your money in this way.

is this guy serious?
Reply Quote
Anyone who had given a bad review on any cite can start by updating that reveiw and explaining how they are listining and making the correct changes to the game. I know some dont think so but everyone doing that could go a long way. just an idea. I did it :)
Reply Quote

My experiences here with how the RMAH influences developer choices would make me reluctant to buy other games with such a pervasive RMT.

I've played games where people can pay to get equal, (or of course ahead of players who haven't gone far) where the RMT thing isn't the tail that walks the dog.

All of those have ways where players are all but guaranteed to be able to equip themselves if they put in any sensible use of game time and fairly reasonable numbers of hours(well by gamer standards - might still be dozens of hours).

If there is no BoP, and/or no way around RNG everything has to be balanced around the supply farmers will bring into the game wihout much thought how that balance makes it nearly impossible to advance without somehow getting supply from farmers.
Reply Quote
Sometimes the forum moves so fast that newly started threads just gets pushed to oblivion. These threads may sometimes contain constructive and sincere feedbacks and/or concerns. How do you guys address this?

06/28/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Lylirra
1. When feedback is submitted on the forums, is it always seen by Blizzard community managers or others at Blizzard?

While we have a lot of eyes on these forums and invest a considerable amount of time and effort into making sure the community's feedback is heard, it's just not feasible for us to read every single post created in every single forum. That's the reality of it with no tasty sugar-coating. (Doesn't mean we don't try, though.)

That said, there is a constant stream of information flowing from these forums back to the developers. If we're not sending over emails to Jay, Wyatt, Andrew, and the other designers about feedback we've seen in these forums, we're having IM conversations or walking over to their desks to discuss the community's concerns in person. We also have weekly meetings with the developers to go over recent popular topics.

As for increasing the chance for your post to be seen, the most important thing is to make sure the content of your post is worded constructively. It can be critical of the game and its mechanics, or of how we engage the community -- positive or negative, that doesn't matter. In general, though, constructive posts are more likely be seen because they're easier to read and understand (which in turn promotes discussion and keeps the thread active), and they're also likely to not violate the posting Code of Conduct (which can result in posts being locked or deleted).

This is also where the "Thumbs Up" button can be a great asset. Highly-rated posts tend to gain more visibility, and their status as "highly-rated" indicates to us that the sentiments inside are shared by a large number of players. If you see a post you agree with, hit the "Thumbs Up" button. It's a quick way to provide feedback without having to post yourself, or to say "I agree" in addition to posting. (It's also a much better option than just creating a post with a "+1" in it.)

We obviously pay attention to all constructive posts, regardless of their rating, but showing your support for an idea or discussion by voting it up is a great way to increase that idea's or discussion's visibility.

2. If the answer to the first question is no, what is the preferred way for players to leave feedback?

Posting on these forums is great, and it's the place where you're most likely to have your feedback read by Blizzard. Community managers review these forums daily, as do many members of the development team.
Reply Quote

My experiences here with how the RMAH influences developer choices would make me reluctant to buy other games with such a pervasive RMT.

I've played games where people can pay to get equal, (or of course ahead of players who haven't gone far) where the RMT thing isn't the tail that walks the dog.

All of those have ways where players are all but guaranteed to be able to equip themselves if they put in any sensible use of game time and fairly reasonable numbers of hours(well by gamer standards - might still be dozens of hours).

If there is no BoP, and/or no way around RNG everything has to be balanced around the supply farmers will bring into the game wihout much thought how that balance makes it nearly impossible to advance without somehow getting supply from farmers.

people who pay to get equal,
game developers are skilled in commercializing this psychology, in selling "equality".
if ppl are that stupid to allow themselves to be manipulated like that,
I have nothing to say but that they deserve it.
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
View profile
06/28/2012 06:47 PMPosted by Gatsukama
Letting MVPs update it as well is probably a good idea; though I'd think hard before letting anyone with a valid account update it.

I would be so happy to do that for you, it's not even funny. :(

I talk about it a lot (but haven't reached out to anyone about it), but I do feel like there are better ways that Blizzard can communicate things to the community. It's just that with that sort of thing it can get sticky since that may or may not actually be considered a job...And the MVPs do not get paid for what they do.

Personally though, I would do it even without pay, if only so that I could clarify things for you guys in a more 'official' capacity.

This is greatly appreciated. I've been thinking of a way to list all player suggestions and criticisms in some uniform way, where players can vote like or dislike on them, without having to go outside the Diablo3 forums. The only thing I can think of is making a thread where each post is an idea (so it has its own like or dislike button), but I can't see that being feasible, as it would probably create an insane amount of clutter and duplicate posts.

Maybe a polling option can be added to threads?

Believe it or not, the like/dislike function serves that pretty well. I think there are better ways to get people to use it (perhaps making the thumbs up/down actually colored) so that they are aware that it's there - but generally if the post is highly rated the community (in that moment) likes what's being said.

I'd say the real goal there is to use the tools that already exist rather than implementing new ones. :)
Edited by Practical#1393 on 6/28/2012 7:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I wonder if anyone in Blizzard thought "hey this RMAH house is a horrible idea," or said to themselves "Man Jay Wilson is such a @#$@#$ he's @#$%@@#$ up the game big time."

I wonder if someone who gave better suggestions to make the game more original were sent to a corner by Jay Wilson. I wonder how the creative process worked behind the scenes and how much influence was originated from whom. Screw the Forums.

I just held shift and put in numbers.
Edited by Furion#1204 on 6/28/2012 8:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This is also where the "Thumbs Up" button can be a great asset. Highly-rated posts tend to gain more visibility, and their status as "highly-rated" indicates to us that the sentiments inside are shared by a large number of players. If you see a post you agree with, hit the "Thumbs Up" button. It's a quick way to provide feedback without having to post yourself, or to say "I agree" in addition to posting. (It's also a much better option than just creating a post with a "+1" in it.)

I wish more people would do this here and especially in the WOW forums, including the thumbs down options. The tools are there for you to better the community, use them.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
06/28/2012 06:38 PMPosted by Khemia
those requesting endgame shouldn't realistically expect one. Diablo was not known to have an "Endgame" besides farming the best gear and showing it off.

1. Still playing d2 after 8 years of endgame pvp

2. Nobody farmed their own gear in that game scrub, you use automated system or smart moves on jsp or duel for wagers

3. You never played that game.
Reply Quote
06/28/2012 05:44 PMPosted by Freudian
I don't like the new Rubberbanding elite affix they introduced in 1.03. It's so unpredictable.

yeah i've been noticing that. I've actually gotten a TON of rubberbanding lately.
Reply Quote
Whisky & waffles sound amazing right now!
Reply Quote
I signed in with my authenticator tonight just to say awesome post Lylirra!

That was well written! There is work to be done but hopefully you guys and gals turn this game around and make it as memorable as D2. I still have some hope.
Reply Quote
Anyone else just get ERROR 37??
Reply Quote
1. When feedback is submitted on the forums, is it always seen by Blizzard community managers or others at Blizzard?

While we have a lot of eyes on these forums and invest a considerable amount of time and effort into making sure the community's feedback is heard, it's just not feasible for us to read every single post created in every single forum. That's the reality of it with no tasty sugar-coating. (Doesn't mean we don't try, though.)

That said, there is a constant stream of information flowing from these forums back to the developers. If we're not sending over emails to Jay, Wyatt, Andrew, and the other designers about feedback we've seen in these forums, we're having IM conversations or walking over to their desks to discuss the community's concerns in person. We also have weekly meetings with the developers to go over recent popular topics.

As for increasing the chance for your post to be seen, the most important thing is to make sure the content of your post is worded constructively. It can be critical of the game and its mechanics, or of how we engage the community -- positive or negative, that doesn't matter. In general, though, constructive posts are more likely be seen because they're easier to read and understand (which in turn promotes discussion and keeps the thread active), and they're also likely to not violate the posting Code of Conduct (which can result in posts being locked or deleted).

We obviously pay attention to all constructive posts, regardless of their rating, but showing your support for an idea or discussion by voting it up is a great way to increase that idea's or discussion's visibility.

2. If the answer to the first question is no, what is the preferred way for players to leave feedback?

Posting on these forums is great, and it's the place where you're most likely to have your feedback read by Blizzard. Community managers review these forums daily, as do many members of the development team.

This is the kind of professionalism we desire. Thank you so much for being the one voice of reason amongst your colleagues. If I could thumbs up this post, I would, and then I would want to do it again! Tell your co-workers to stop spitting in our faces and giving our community black eye after black eye, and tell them to start following your example.

A community manager who can manage a community. Thank you for doing what you do!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]