Diablo® III

Reason behind my RMAH account lock part 2

I thank everyone’s support on the original post. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978428874 I didn’t expect the post to be this heavily discussed, and this was definitely a pleasant surprise. I tried my best to read through all of the comments posted (including the reddit thread), and I realized that a lot of posters on here wants to know if there is resolution to my case, and some asked for further detail. I will try to answer some of the questions here.

ON CURRENT STATUS OF THE ISSUE
Following the email that stated:
---------------------------------------------
It's important to have an up-to-date address registered to your Battle.net account, particularly if you plan to use the Battle.net Balance feature. Because Battle.net Balance uses your account's registered country to determine how to handle your transactions, having an out-of-date or incorrect country of residence can cause a number of inconvenient issues.

Requirements for Country Changes
There are certain criteria that your account must meet in order to qualify for a country change:

Your Battle.net Balance must be less than 20 (for players who purchased Battle.net Balance using US currency)

Note: Active Battle.net Balance may be lost and all Battle.net Balance may be set to 0 when a country change is completed. Customer Support will not be able to convert Battle.net Balance purchased using one country's denomination to Battle.net Balance for another region. If you require other assistance with your active balance, please contact Customer Support.
On the email, they asked if I acknowledge and agree to the above terms and criteria. Of course I did not agree to it. I replied with:
I do not agree to this. I do not want a region change, and yet you are forcing me to do one by locking me out of a game that I have spent $60 purchasing and extra $200 deposit into the RMAH. And now you are saying in order for me to play the game, I will need to do this region change, but we going to take everything on your bnet balance away. Is this even legal? You locked me out of something I've spent $260 on, and force me to do a region change, but will take away all my balance. I cannot imaging practices like this can be legal. If I need to switch region to get my account unlocked, you have no right to take the current balance away. That's my money, you either refund it, or keep it there, or unlock my account without having to force me to do a region change.
Shortly after they replied me with:
I've gone ahead and unlocked your Diablo III account for you at this time. However, due to mismatching information on your BNET account versus where you are playing from, your RMAH access is banned at this time until you proceed with the region change.

So as of right now, my account has been unlocked, but the RMAH access is banned.
This still does not solve my issue. I can play Diablo 3, but I don’t have access to any of the money that I deposited. And as far as I can tell, if I proceed with a region change, I will still lose my entire balance, but that is assuming I can even make the region change. As per the restrictions stated in the reply, I need to carry a balance less than $20 to even be qualified for a request to change region. And since my RMAH is banned, I have no way to get it to below $20. As you can see, this is a deadlock. And this is the current status of my account and balance.

ON QUESTIONS SOME OF YOU HAD
Q. It is your fault to have moved and not keep your info up to date?
A. While this is partly my fault, my situation is a bit different than the normal permanent address change. I am a US Citizen. Even though I current do not physically live in the US, US is still my home. I still keep a permanent residence there. I still have a house there, I still pay my bills and taxes there. I go back to the US quite often, as I travel back and forth. I didn’t change my address because the registered address is still my home. During my conversion with the CS rep, I told him exactly this as well. He responded by saying I would need to change my region as often as I travel. Their region changing process require you to severely compromise your privacy, as they require photo IDs from your residing country’s government, as well as lots of other private information. On top of that, I didn’t want my default setting, playing environment to all of a sudden change language.

Q. It is your own fault because you didn’t read the TOS.
A. Yes it was my fault that I didn’t carefully read through the TOS. But I have read through it now. And if you are citing the TOS to validate Blizzard’s actions, please point out the article that states “players shall lose all their balance if they were to request for a region change”. Because I couldn’t find it.

Q. The OP did not ask for a refund.
A. Yes I did. As you can see from my response to them above, I said “That's my money, you either refund it, or keep it there, or unlock my account without having to force me to do a region change.” They chose the last option, but only partially. They unlocked my account, but not my RMAH access. So the money is still locked up.

Q. Why didn’t you call them again and try to talk to higher ups, instead of coming to the forum to rage?
A. It took me 10 days of attempting to call them (via international calls), in which 3 of the attempts I was on hold for over an hour with no help. These aren’t local calls or even long distance calls. They are international calls. So I hope you can understand why I am frustrated and dreading the prospect of having to go through that again.

Q. The OP couldn’t read. They said your balance MAY be lost, and the balance MAY be set to 0. They didn’t say they will do it.
A. They actually have. I didn’t post that part of the ticket response, and I will post it here now. On the first response after the call, they opened a new ticket for me, and on the ticket, this is what they said:
Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

We would be more than happy to investigate the possibility of changing the region on your Battle.net account for you. Please understand, however, that this is not a standard service. Certain restrictions must be met in order to qualify for a region change, and this service is something that we can only provide as an exception to our normal policies, depending on the reason your request.

If you have an active Battle.net Balance, the following criteria must be met in order to be eligible for a region change:

- You must have no active bids or auctions on the Currency Based Auction House.
- You must have an active balance less than $20 US (or equivalent).
- We will require proof of residence in order to complete the change. This may be either: a legal form of identification with address of your place of residence, or a legal form of identification without address and a utility bill for your place of residence.
**PLEASE NOTE: Any active Battle.net Balance will be permanently lost during a region change. Customer Support is unable to transfer any remaining balance between regions.

If you acknowledge and agree to the above terms and criteria, please contact us at your convenience by replying to this ticket. For instructions on submitting identification, please see our support article available here: http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/2700028
As you can see, they flat out said that my balance WILL be permanently lost during a region change.

To conclude, the primary issue I am trying to get at here, is that they really shouldn’t allow players who are not in their registered region to deposit money in the first place. If they can do a check when the money is being spent, they can do a check when the money is being deposited. Regardless if I am able to get back my money, if this thread is able to help 1 other person it has been worth my time writing it.

Hope this brings this issue up to date, and hope this answers some of your questions.
I thank everyone again for your input and support.

Edit: Typo.
Edited by Xres#1429 on 7/1/2012 6:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Please keep letting everyone know whats going on. If your goal is to recover your money then perhaps you need to step outside this forum and Blizzard's ticketing system. Obviously you will get no where playing by the rules Blizzard has set. The rules are made to protect Blizzard NOT to help you. Stay within in them and you will lose.

Think about going to mainstream media with your story, Blizzard then have to balance up refunding your $200 or getting negative publicity at a far greater cost. If they have any business sense, they would simply refund you the money.

Good luck

edited to fix typo's
Edited by Hurin#6948 on 7/1/2012 12:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
http://www.bbb.org/ - Pop in your info to get the contact info for the Better Business Bureau in your area... or since you're 'out of region' I'm not sure how that'd work in your case. It depends on where you are exactly. But considering they're the Better Business Bureau and everything... and exist for this sole purpose... I'm sure there's something on their site to point you in the right direction to the best way to get in contact with them. And definately do get in contact with them. This is exactly what they were established for... To deal with Companies that wrong, take advantage of, and treat their customers with injustice, or fail to meet promised expectations with a product and refuse to re-compensate that customer. Both of which apply in this situation. I really feel bad for you man... but most of all I can't believe that Blizzard has come down to this level when it comes to dealing with situations like this. I mean Bliz Customer Support has always been terrible, but was never so blatantly "shyster-like" about things like this... It makes me sad, and makes me sick at the same time.

-Edit- I kinda let my temper run away with me at first. Cleaned up what turned into a flame there at the end haha.
Edited by Fingerblast#1869 on 7/1/2012 12:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
chargeback, do you speak it?!
Reply Quote
Justice Bump.
Reply Quote
Blizzard, you really need to make this right if you keep treating your costumers like !@#$ your fanbase will be gone in no time.

I know I'm not buying any of your products again if you keep going down this road.

While I may be only one costumer, I'm sure other people share my opinion.
Reply Quote
I figured they wouldn't give you the money back, because companies never want to refund purchases of 'funny money'. However, given the circumstances you would think that might have been an option given.

More than likely though you will just have to avoid using the RMAH and acquire your gold the good old fashioned way. Saving your $200 for future Blizz games... i know... shameful indeed, lol.

I'd definitely contact the press with this story though. There are several publications running numerous stories about Diablo 3's launch and this is as good a time as any to get your information out there.

I'd imagine under the right circumstances Blizzard would refund your $200, but, the people handling peon level customer service duties are almost certainly not authorized to turn 'funny money' back into real money. This would likely require additional effort on your part and depending on your income level and current level of frustration with Blizzard it may or may not be worth pursuing.

In any event I wish you the best of luck and I'm sorry you had to go through this whole ordeal. At least you can kill demons now, albeit while thinking about how pissed off you are at Blizzard.
Reply Quote
Blizzard, you really need to make this right if you keep treating your costumers like !@#$ your fanbase will be gone in no time.

I know I'm not buying any of your products again if you keep going down this road.

While I may be only one costumer, I'm sure other people share my opinion.

I've already decided to do the same. I won't be buying another blizzard game until I feel I can trust them again. I don't think I honestly will be able to.
Reply Quote
Please keep letting everyone know whats going on. If your goal is to recover your money then perhaps you need to step outside this forum and Blizzard's ticketing system. Obviously you will get no where playing by the rules Blizzard has set. The rules are made to protect Blizzard NOT to help you. Stay within in them and you will lose.

Think about going to mainstream media with your story, Blizzard then have to balance up refunding your $200 or getting negative publicity at a far greater cost. If they have any business sense, they would simply refund you the money.

Good luck

edited to fix typo's
Reply Quote
88 Human Warlock
No its simple . DONT USE THE RMAH!! or dont use real money plain and simple!!
Reply Quote
88 Human Warlock
CALL Them and ask them for a refund.. I wouldnt do that in email but thats just my opinion , sometimes you get further on the phone.. but i understand your calling International!!!

GOOD LUCK!!
Reply Quote
Seriously you really need to go media wise with this, it's completely ridiculous and this entire game is a scam.

I've quit and don't plan on ever buying anymore of blizzards games ever as I've already sold all my items made 320 bucks which I'm happy about bought torchlight 2, will see how that goes.

I've read many posts about how this game has really torn the entire image of blizzard. Pretty sad how things now a days are all about money. Good luck man, but seriously if I were you I would def go to the media. Plenty of people would love to hear all about this.
Reply Quote
I'm not sure about this - but couldn't you just not tell them you are moving and always play in the Americas region?

I know people in Europe who have both an American and European Starcraft II account, and I know there are a lot of low-wage workers in China that have American Diablo III accounts.
Reply Quote
Bump for this guy.
Reply Quote
absolute @#)$ing garbage
Reply Quote
Pretty sad, all the blues that "have eyes" on posts and they don't respond to this. How bout some goodwill and just give the guy his $200 and post on here that you did it.
Reply Quote
This is... disappointing. I've spent the last few weeks on the forums arguing for changes because I still had some faith in Blizzard. I'm not so sure anymore. Sorry about what happened to you OP.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]