Diablo® III

Reason behind my RMAH account lock part 2

07/01/2012 02:38 AMPosted by shodan
chargeback, do you speak it?!

+1
Reply Quote
I hope you get it solved bro.
Reply Quote
I'll post what I did in the last iteration....

Interesting that this is one of the most popular threads on the forum and a blue has not bothered to comment on it.
Reply Quote
I've been silent on the forum since alot of months just to read posts.

Actually, this is my first reply ever to Diablo 3 forum.

I hope that your situation will be fixed as this is clearly infairness and this shouldn've stayed unsolve that long.

I support your action about letting people know what your going through. Good luck.
Reply Quote
I'll post what I did in the last iteration....

Interesting that this is one of the most popular threads on the forum and a blue has not bothered to comment on it.

Of course they wouldn't. They're trying to do damage control on the other aspects of their game. This one would get too ugly.

This is straight up robbery and a big reason why you should never trust Blizzard with your banking information.

I'm not sure about this - but couldn't you just not tell them you are moving and always play in the Americas region?

I know people in Europe who have both an American and European Starcraft II account, and I know there are a lot of low-wage workers in China that have American Diablo III accounts.

And this is what puzzles me the most about Blizzard. Most of those game cd keys that you can purchase are for playing in the US and most likely from illegitimate methods. They flag this guy but the botters and farmers who've obtained their keys in the underground are running rampart.

Not sure what to say at this point anymore OP. Might as well contact your local newstation and discuss your story with the media. I'm sure there's one guy there that handles consumer protection stories.

Posted this on another thread but I'll post it here because it relates. The tragic cycle of a business. Start off small, provide quality products and build a good reputation. Once you get big you forget what made you reach the top in the first place. Eventually they'll get greedy and forget about their customers. They'll start making many questionable short term business decisions (Which they have with WoW), and they'll start losing their customers. In the end, the business starts to die.

Steve Jobs autobiography is worth the read if you want to get a better feel on business.
Reply Quote
I hope you get this solved. I do have one suggestion though that I am not sure if it has already been said. You stated you come back to your home in the US often. I know it does not help now but I would suggest doing what you will now and if it comes to it wait until you are back here. Then call them and have your account unlocked totally as you are in the same region as you are playing. Maybe that will at least allow you to buy what you want or empty your account with a refund(may have to pay the fee but it is better then getting nothing back). I would also suggest not using the RMAH while abroad if you can get around it. If I read what you put down correctly, then it sounds like it all stems from you using just the RMAH while away from your home.

I am definitely on your side on this one but I would point out that you are a pretty unique situation. Out of the number playing the game I would think only a handful would be affected by what you are affected by which is going to make Blizz really slow to act. As a corporation(good or bad) they need to worry about the problems that affect thousands not the ones that affect a couple. As long as they keep the majority of the end users happy or at least complacent then they will make out ok in the end.
Reply Quote
Chargeback with Bank and CC. Insist even if it's "outside the normal window". This is a clear case of fraud. Also report it to the FBI Fraud/Internet Crimes Decision. Ignore the Trolls - this is open and shut fraud, even our corrupt US legal system can't get around this one.

Also look into masking your IP. You may be able to get your cash with something as simple as Anonymox for Firefox - if all it takes is convincing some moron CSR your IP is coming from the US. Perhaps you can free your money up long enough to spend it (if you still had any desire to play this garbage game left).
Edited by Proletariat#1712 on 7/1/2012 9:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Chargeback with Bank and CC. Insist even if it's "outside the normal window". This is a clear case of fraud. Also report it to the FBI Fraud/Internet Crimes Decision. Ignore the Trolls - this is open and shut fraud, even our corrupt US legal system can't get around this one.

Also look into masking your IP. You may be able to get your cash with something as simple as Anonymox for Firefox - if all it takes is convincing some moron CSR your IP is coming from the US. Perhaps you can free your money up long enough to spend it (if you still had any desire to play this garbage game left).

Always hard to say if something is cut and dry anything. I don't understand all of your story because it's hard to pinpoint what's going on behind the scenes without knowing which "realm" (lol D2) you're playing on (thus which AH you're trying to access).

If you're playing on the US servers with your BNet account setup with a US address, sounds like a security issue lockup... but then again, they said you required a region change. Given their explanation of not being able to convert currencies (hence removing any current BNet Balance), it would seem like you're trying to access a non-US server? Or that you have a different country of residence down.

To preface what's to come: I think it's a !@#$ty situation and hope you get your money back in some form.

BNet balance is sort of strange in itself. The way it's valued. It's almost like you give $100 (US) to Battle.Net and it becomes something completely new. And while $1 (BNet) = $1 (US), the BNet dollar has no value outside of Battle.Net. You've essentially just traded your good dollar for something infinitely less useful... at least that's what the agreement makes it seem like. So Blizzard has issues in then taking what used to be a US dollar and turning into, lets say, a euro... mainly because it's no longer a US dollar they're converting. I'm doing a poor job of trying to get something across here, but the point is I don't think Blizzard is actively trying to steal your money.

Given the controversy abroad with the RMAH, I would think that there are concerns with the BNet Balance as well in terms of the interplay between the two.

On the other hand, if you're account is registered under a US address and you're trying to access the US servers from abroad... I'm in the same boat. Heard some horror stories there. Part of any account freezing for anything is usually security related. To protect users from being shafted by foreign parties. Though, this scenario seems least likely given your description of things. More information could help clear it up though.

TL;DR -- Saying that this is a clear cut case of fraud is maybe too strong. The legality of the RMAH and Battle.Net balance is still sort of up in the air... not that the practice in its entirety would be thrown out, but the fine tuning of issues like this is still being fiddled with (unfortunately at the time and cost of the customers).
Reply Quote
here in germany, if i send someone by accident money, there are 2 possible options to get it back:

1. The other person is so nice and just sends it back
2. I want my bank to take it back which costs me like 25 euro or some % of the money i sent

ofc option 2 you lose some but then again, it was my mistake in the first place.

i hope you can get your money back and i think blizzard needs to get more seccurity for this case up -> dont allow other regions to bank money on the wrong region OR make the battlenet money region wide (im not working for blizzard so i dont want to think more about this)

wish you the best
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I would contact the US and State Attorney General where your home of residence is. I would submit all the information to them that you have received and let them know exactly what is going on with your residency situation. Contacting the media is a good idea, but honestly, with the presidential elections going on, you would be more likely to get somewhere with the gaming media instead of the mainstream and cable media. Except for the gaming cable station, G3? I think.

Contacting the BBB and the Attorneys General for both the US and your home State might be the best option at this point. You could also file a suit with the Federal Trade Commission and the Interstate Commerce Commission (I think that is the name; ICC) for unfair business practices.

It sounds like at this point, that you will not get any further with Blizzard. It is sad to think that they believe that they can just take your 200 dollars without anyone doing anything about it. If they did this to 1000 people, they would pocket 20,000 dollars easily. Since their subscriptions are in the millions for even wow, you could easily see them doing this to 10,000 or 100,000 people. At this point you are talking 200,000 dollars to 2,000,000 dollars in the blink of an eye.

If this is not corporate fraud, I do not know what is. Especially since they will not refund the money back to you in US dollars in which you paid them with.

You might also try the FBI since you travel international. International laws might also benefit you if they have agencies that deal in Corporate fraud and abuse. I am not sure if you being a US Citizen will prevent you from taking that action or not but it might be worth a try. There has to be some kind of International Federal Trade Agency where you are working.

Good luck and I know that I will not be putting another dime into my WOW subscription nor will I put any money into the RMAH. I suggest that anyone else that has any money there pull it. Go back to selling through other methods or chat. At least this way, you get the money and not Blizzard and they will not have the opportunity to rob you as well.

Activision, do the right thing and fix the crap that the Blizzard CEO is letting happen there.

P.S. I also thought of something else, do an internet search and try to get the email address for the Blizzard and Activision CEO's. They may or may not be aware of what is happening. At least you could get them on record through your email when you contact the federal and international agencies that handle this type of thing.
Reply Quote
76 Draenei Shaman
I cannot see why anyone would EVER put any money into a blizzard account knowing that they would do something like this. I will certainly never do so until they begin to guarantee that money will be taken care of in the same way a respectable business would.

I have always held blizzard in high regard as a company. The launch and subsequent handling of D3 has changed all of that. They are going to end up with class action lawsuits over this if they do not implement sweeping changes to the way that they do business.
Reply Quote
This is truly disappointing.

What happened to Blizzard ? They never used to be this awful to their customers.

This is plain, blatant robbery.
Reply Quote
Haha isn't that always convenient companies can take your money no problem, but getting it back is like talking to the moon.

EDIT: Next time you visit your american home can't you get your money back then?
Edited by NightBringer#1746 on 7/1/2012 10:25 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I also got my account locked today due to the same reason. I travel a lot to different countries and I don't think updating account region is practical to me. All I ever want now is giving back my account and the items I listed for selling on RMAH. I'm not going to use that system again until they fix the policy.

@Blizzard you have to make this happen for us. Needless I need to tell you how negative this sounds on the press.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]