Diablo® III

Agent logging and Game hangs/crashes

Can we please remove the _CONSTANT_ logging of the agent process to the system console log? My log is filled with nothing but:

6/30/12 17:21:21 [0x0-0xd35d35].com.blizzard.agent Handle Event: "auth validation event"

Since the last patch I have been getting 15-30 second hangs where everything locks up. I think I have narrowed it down to the following lines in the console:
6/30/12 17:21:03 kernel IOAudioStream[0xffffff8015e1b600]::clipIfNecessary() - Error: attempting to clip to a position more than one buffer ahead of last clip position (18a37,199)->(18a4b,2c2d).
6/30/12 17:21:03 kernel IOAudioStream[0xffffff8015e1b600]::clipIfNecessary() - adjusting clipped position to (18a4b,199)

At this point it will either hang there for about 15-30 seconds before coming back, or it will just crash out. I don't use any audio equipment other than headphones that hook into audio out.

Specs:
Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP51.007E.B06
SMC Version (system): 1.33f8

NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0647
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3437
gMux Version: 1.7.3
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
VE228:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: ABLMQS036078
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Adapter Type: Mini DisplayPort To VGA Adapter
Adapter Firmware Version: 1.03

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
When it crashes out, does it produce a crash report?

Does removing the headphones make a difference?

Have you've tried to delete the Battle.net folder in Users/Shared and see if that helps?
Reply Quote
1. it uses the blizzard custom crash reporter, I don't have access to see what the crash was a result of.

2. headphones make no difference.

3. I'll give it a try.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
07/01/2012 07:58 PMPosted by DirkGently
1. it uses the blizzard custom crash reporter, I don't have access to see what the crash was a result of.

If it provides you with a code, like here, then please provide me the the code and I can look it up.
Reply Quote
07/02/2012 11:43 AMPosted by Machkhan

If it provides you with a code, like [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4903440356"]here[/url], then please provide me the the code and I can look it up.

I did some digging for some other things and I found the crash log:
http://cl.samdmarshall.com/HoQZ

I have the Error.bug file as well, but I cannot find the code for it.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Can you post the Error.bug file? Open the file up with TextEdit and see what it says. This is basically the stack that the game crashed on.
Reply Quote
here you are: http://cl.samdmarshall.com/Hnc4
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Thanks. So, it not really giving an indicator of what's causing D3 to crash, as it is a generic stack.

For now, can you try the following steps and see if it helps?

Resetting permissions on the Diablo III folder
    1. Select the Diablo III folder
    2. Press Command + I
    3. In the Info box, go to the Sharing & Permissions section and click on the lock and unlock it, entering your admin password when prompted.
    4. Make sure you have Read & Write permissions
    5. Click on the Burst icon (cog wheel) and select Apply to enclosed items

Repair Permissions via Disk Utility
    1. Navigate to /Applications/Utilities/ and open Disk Utility.
    2. Select the hard drive the game is installed on.
    3. Select the First Aid option.
    4. Click on the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Rebuild the Diablo III Cache
    1. Navigate to /Applications/Diablo III/Data_D3/PC/MPQs and delete the Cache folder.
    2. Then, navigate to Users/Shared/Battle.net/Agent and delete the Agent.db file.
    3. Run the Diablo III Launcher and let the game update it's files.
    4. Press Play when you see Game is up to date
Reply Quote
I have done all of those multiple times, however I fail to see how disk permissions can remotely cause this to happen. Nothing changes.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Disk Permissions can affect the Users/Shared directly where other Blizzard files are located, such as the Battle.net Caches, and Agent.

Have you attempting to do a full uninstall/reinstall of the client and see if it resolves these issues?
Reply Quote
Disk Permissions can affect the Users/Shared directly where other Blizzard files are located, such as the Battle.net Caches, and Agent.

Have you attempting to do a full uninstall/reinstall of the client and see if it resolves these issues?

That is one thing I haven't tried. If I am feeling up to it then I might attempt doing that tomorrow. I have not done this yet because I am pretty sure I won't want to reinstall this game once I uninstall it at this point. For reasons completely separate from the mac client performance I am quickly growing tired of playing.

If I do manage to reinstall then I will post back with results. However those results will be dependent on being able to play the game for long enough to experience this happening again. So again, pros vs cons of attempting that avenue of debugging do not look promising.
Reply Quote
I know this is a necro post but the client and agent are still logging massive amounts of JSON data directly to the system log. Not only that but it isn't being displayed in the proper manner either (not that displaying it in the first place is really proper). Instead of grouping the JSON data to one line a-la NSLog of a NSDictionary, but rather line for line of the JSON. Given that the game client already has its own log file, I believe the proper way to handle this would be to only log crash report numbers to the system log or other USER RELEVANT data. Telling me the connection status during a patch download or update isn't important enough to be sent to the system log. This is a major hassle when considering there are other apps on the system that also may need this log-space for equally or more important data.
Reply Quote
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JSON
This will help people try to understand JSON. I had to read ti 2x to get the gist of it. Simply put the log is a little too verbose for some people's liking. I'm quite ok with this but best a thing for the Blizz devs to wort out. As they need this info to fix Diablo 3 not us.
Reply Quote
Bumping this again. Machkhan, I have had !@#$ing enough of this crap.

http://cl.samdmarshall.com/KmyY

This is NOT acceptable and there is no reason for this much USELESS logging to the SYSTEM LOG FILE. The system log file is reserved for important information, such as me right now trying to debug a problem with hidd locking up. While I am working I get bombarded by line after line of the agent process logging useless garbage over what I am trying to read.

I have asked a number of times now for this issue to be looked at and be removed from the app and the agent process. So far I have not heard anything back from you or the mac team on this. I am going to assume this means it isn't a priority even thought it would take all of 5 minutes to comment these lines out and have them included in the next client hotfix. It shouldn't take 4 months to get this issue resolved.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
This is something that the team (Mac Dev) doesn't directly handle.

I've sent the information to the appropriate team and I'll follow-up with them. Can't guarantee anything, but I'll make sure they are aware of the it.

Please understand that being a technical support form, this is sort of beyond the scope of the forum support, and the best we can do is give the feedback to the appropriate teams. Any actions may be taken from there but sometimes we're not made aware of the changes that may happen because of it.
Reply Quote
I understand, but as far as I am aware there is no other recourse for filing mac specific bugs. If there is a more direct channel then I will happily eat my own hat on this and stop making these posts direct here and push the data at the bug reporting system. Compounding this with any sort of lack of feedback system on specific issues makes reporting these problems just drag out interminably.

While I understand the real lack of ability to create a focused bug tracker system that would be accessible to the general public, as everyone will be reporting bugs that aren't bugs or submitting troll attempts. This lack of any sort of direct technical communication creates a divide between get some of these issues reported and dealt with.

I am rather ticked off for a number of reasons on this issue: firstly that it happens to start with, secondly that has been such a minor issue to knock out and be done with, and thirdly that it still exists from beta to now. Yeah things fall through the cracks and it isn't necessarily your, or the job of any other of the mac support team to pass bugs along or deal with resolution of technical issues beyond support. However this forum gets the most amount of blue responses per thread on these boards. I find this as something to be proud of, as how diligently you and the team works to resolve as quickly and painlessly as possible.

In that I hope you will accept my apology of the harsh words used when I made the post, as you are not the one at fault here, hell it really isn't even in your job requirement to pass these things along as you do.

As the fix is extremely minor and easy to perform, I haven't considered it to be out of the question to fix as it requires all of 5-10 minutes with a find and replace or maybe 15 on the outside with some build macros to not make it happen in release builds.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
No worries DirkGently. Just wanted to bring some insight on the process really.

For now there isn't an official channel or anything like you mentioned. The Mac Team and I would prefer all Mac specific bugs here, even if it isn't something they work directly on. When Mac items are posted in the bug forums, they may get lost due to the volume of other requests in there. I'm here to make sure not only technical issues get resolved, but other items affecting the Mac Community are heard as well.

11/11/2012 05:03 PMPosted by DirkGently
However this forum gets the most amount of blue responses per thread on these boards. I find this as something to be proud of, as how diligently you and the team works to resolve as quickly and painlessly as possible.

Aww shucks. Thanks. You have a way with words :)
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Hey DirkGently,

You haz mail on this :) Please check your posting account email for additional information.
Reply Quote
Thank you very much for that and keeping me in the loop on it. If it isn't too much trouble, could the reported performance discrepancy between single vs multi-monitor setups also be forwarded up. I know that particular issue sounds crazy and "impossible", however I would still appreciate someone having a deeper look into that as well because I truly believe that there is a serious issue buried somewhere in graphics frameworks being used. Thank you so much for your help and support on these issues.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Can you create or direct me to a thread with that information, so I can use it as reference? Thanks!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]