Diablo® III

necromancer in diablo 3 expansion

this post was made in 8/5/08

Although many "Diablo" fans have expressed fondness for the Necromancer from "Diablo II," lead "Diablo III" designer Jay Wilson confirmed to MTV Multiplayer that the character class will not appear in the initial release of the game.

When the team was choosing which classes to include in the long-awaited sequel for Blizzard's best-selling action-RPG series, they decided to create a brand-new one -- the Witch Doctor. And with only five classes in the game, "Diablo III" just didn't have room for two curse-dealing, pet-wielding classes.

Here's Blizzard's explanation for why the Witch Doctor replaced the Necromancer:

"Our approach for classes in 'Diablo III' is that we don't have a strong desire to bring back classes from the previous game," Wilson told me. "The goal is to try and give people new gameplay and not just re-hash old gameplay. We're not just making a 'Diablo II' with updated 3D graphics."

"The problem was, we looked at the class and didn't think that we could really make him a lot better," he explained. "We could add some new stuff to him but for the most part -- curses, corpse explosion, skeleton pets -- done. That's the class. We wanted to create new gameplay, so we chose to do the Witch Doctor as a different kind of class."

Though the Witch Doctor will have similar abilities to the Necromancer, Wilson didn't want to "have to live by any Necromancer rules." One of the big differences between the two classes is how damage is actually dealt.

"If [the Necromancer] dealt damage, it was through corpses laying around or through his pets," he said. "The Witch Doctor, his pets are a little more transient. If you watch the gameplay video, you really notice his pets come and go like crazy. There's a wall of zombies that go away fairly quickly or pets that just kind of blow up willy-nilly. That was intentional -- to try and make him different than the Necromancer."

However, for those who are really passionate about the Necromancer, there's still hope to see the class in a "Diablo III" expansion. In fact, Wilson thought that expansions might be a great place to bring back any of the old classes not included, particularly since the team itself had passionate debates on the topic -- almost as much as the game's art direction.

"There's a lot of people on our team who aren't happy with our class choices,” he admitted. "But after we've established 'Diablo III' as its own game with its own type of gameplay and experiences, I wouldn't be opposed to looking at old classes. We are trying to design [the Witch Doctor] class so that if we did bring back the Necromancer, there's room for him. We're looking out ahead of time at what our expansions are going to be, so we've got to keep room open for some of those other classes down the road."

Wilson added, "It's one of those things where, unless we put like 30 classes in the game, people are going to be unhappy. But if we put 30 classes in the game, we'd hurt the game. I think that of the classes that we've chosen, there will be something for everyone. I'm not worried that people won't be able to find a class that they like to play."

"Diablo" fans, does Blizzard's explanation appease you? How do you feel about the Witch Doctor replacing the Necromancer?
Reply Quote
hears an idea to make the necromancer work in diablo 3 when you want to sum up a skelly every time it cost like 150 or 200 or somthing high amount of mana and it will cost lik 15 or 20 or 30 somthin % of your life so if you spam it to many time to fast you will kill your self. i want the skellys to be as good as there are in 2 to be in 3 to where they last as long as the dont die and they do a good amount of damage and still to waer i can at least make 14 of the sword skelly and 14 mage skelly and 20 reborn monsters that last 120 seconds.and if some wants to make the army build for there necro then they would need to focus on there life and vitality so that would work very well in diablo 3. have like the 1 of the skelly abillty be to where you can summon 3 skellys then the 1 rune would be where you can summon 8 skellys with fire damage then 2 would be you can get 8 that explode when they get killed 3 would be 8 skellys that leave a posion trail behind them 4 would be where you can summon 8 with no life cost 5 would be where you can summon 14 skellys. and there you go necromancer melee skelly move set for diablo 3. then the mage skelly summon 3 spell casting skellys. rune 1 mage skelly 8 of them that shoots out a freeze attk rune 2 8 casting skellys that shoot at a faster rate rune 3 summon8 skelly casters that shoot out long dark magic energy beams rune 4 summone 14 mage casting skellys rune 5 summon 8 casting skellys that throw high damage but slow bone axes . SO PUT THE NECROMANCER IN DIABLO 3
Reply Quote
Necromancer is so popular I would be very surprised if they didn't add them as a playable character in an expansion. Heck there is even a NPC in the game where you have to help him finish a quest.
Edited by OnionKnight#1638 on 7/2/2012 12:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
07/02/2012 12:28 PMPosted by IMPERIUS
hears an idea to make the necromancer work in diablo 3 when you want to sum up a skelly every time it cost like 150 or 200 or somthing high amount of mana and it will cost lik 15 or 20 or 30 somthin % of your life so if you spam it to many time to fast you will kill your self. i want the skellys to be as good as there are in 2 to be in 3 to where they last as long as the dont die and they do a good amount of damage and still to waer i can at least make 14 of the sword skelly and 14 mage skelly and 20 reborn monsters that last 120 seconds.and if some wants to make the army build for there necro then they would need to focus on there life and vitality so that would work very well in diablo 3. have like the 1 of the skelly abillty be to where you can summon 3 skellys then the 1 rune would be where you can summon 8 skellys with fire damage then 2 would be you can get 8 that explode when they get killed 3 would be 8 skellys that leave a posion trail behind them 4 would be where you can summon 8 with no life cost 5 would be where you can summon 14 skellys. and there you go necromancer melee skelly move set for diablo 3. then the mage skelly summon 3 spell casting skellys. rune 1 mage skelly 8 of them that shoots out a freeze attk rune 2 8 casting skellys that shoot at a faster rate rune 3 summon8 skelly casters that shoot out long dark magic energy beams rune 4 summone 14 mage casting skellys rune 5 summon 8 casting skellys that throw high damage but slow bone axes . SO PUT THE NECROMANCER IN DIABLO 3

I counted three periods.

Also, <3 necromancer. Nothing like a wall of skeletal fury taking up half your screen plowing through everything. Made for a pretty good tank too :3

EDIT: Found a fourth, I stand corrected.
Edited by FlyingPig#1355 on 7/2/2012 12:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
How do we feel about the witch doctor? The witch doctor deserves a bone spear slammed through his stupid face.
Reply Quote
Expansion will have Necro and Pally is Blizzard is doing their jobs correctly. Druid and Amazon if they're bad.
Reply Quote
All that post illustrates to me is how utterly arrogant Jay Wilson was during the design phase of this glossy turd.
Reply Quote
D2 character screen choise is soo EPIC!
I would LOVE to see necromancer again!
I dont like !@#$% doctor
Reply Quote
Not only Blizzard removed necromancer as a class they trashed it hard in Diablo 3
They are without explanation suddenly 'dying' and they are either traitor or incompetent and need to be rescued in the game.

So, probably we won't see necromancer from THIS dev team.
Reply Quote
I'd prefer to see none of the older classes to be honest, would rather see 2-3 totally new classes.

Why rehash something we've already had for the sake of fanboy nostalgia. Witch Doctor is this game's Necro and that's fine with me. We need to see a second Strength (main stat) class and perhaps something with Vitality main stat.

Another thread suggested an Alchemist class which I found super interesting. If they announce the Necromancer as a class in the exp I won't be overly happy or sad about it, but I'd definitely feel a little disappointed.

If I wanted to play Necro, I'd play D2.
Reply Quote
07/02/2012 12:31 PMPosted by FlyingPig

I counted three periods.

Also, <3 necromancer. Nothing like a wall of skeletal fury taking up half your screen plowing through everything. Made for a pretty good tank too :3

I counted five periods.
Reply Quote
The post gave hope and still does.
but only time will tell

And they could have used same classes but added some diffrent skills cause it could be a novice or just another necromancer
Reply Quote
The post gave hope and still does.
but only time will tell

And they could have used same classes but added some diffrent skills cause it could be a novice or just another necromancer

The idea that they didn't want to rehash is absurd for the fact they included a Wizard and a Barbarian.

What does it really matter? Just give us what we want for crying out loud.

It'd be like me taking over the Dead Space franchise and saying Dead Space 4 will not have necromorphs. Just soliders.
Reply Quote
04/23/2013 08:54 AMPosted by SirCris

I counted three periods.

I counted five periods.
You're both wrong. There's seven periods.
Reply Quote
I can see how the Necromancer would fill a huge gap in the current spread of classes in Diablo 3.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]