Diablo® III

New Stuttering Workaround!

Support Forum Agent
While the following isn't guaranteed to resolve all stutter symptoms on all systems, we have seen significant improvements on several computers using this method. This workaround involves partially disabling Windows Drive Indexing, a tool that speeds up Windows searches.

Disable Drive Indexing

1. Click Start
2. Click Computer*
3. Right Click your Hard Drive (typically C:) and select Properties
4. Select the General tab
5. Uncheck Allow files on this drive to have contents indexed...**
6. Click Apply
7. Select Apply changes to drive C:\ only
8. Click Ok, and then Ok again
9. Load up Diablo III and see if your performance has improved!

* = My Computer on Windows XP
** = Allow Indexing Service to index... on Windows XP

Turning off indexing to the "drive only" will still enable your Windows' searches to be quick. If you still have stuttering after this workaround, you may wish to experiment with turning off indexing to subfolders and files as well. Once you've turned indexing off for everything, the option will change to one that lets you re-enable it if need be.

In the meanwhile, I'll pass this information on to the devs so that hopefully more changes can be made on our end to reduce stuttering. Thank you!
Edited by Kaltonis on 6/30/2012 7:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'll give it a shot and see how things go. I'd like to point out that any forms of antialiasing or having smooth shadows seems to make stutter much more pronounced when moving around. And of course, framerates only seem to take a hit when moving around, especially in large areas.
Reply Quote
Didn't work.
Reply Quote
ty for this tip, apparantly this is also a recommendation for people with SSD drives (which i just happened to get today) so im glad I discovered this :)
Reply Quote
Well, it has helped a bit with microstuttering I think. However, there is still that issue with antialiasing being more intensive than it should be.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Mine already has that option enabled so unfortunately this isn't the workaround i''m looking for god to know someone is trying
Reply Quote
^Elwe pls read the thread properly they asked u to "uncheck" it
If its already enabled for you this means that u have to disable it!
I'll try this method out and test if it works anot later. thanks Kaltonis!

Elwé
85 Night Elf Druid
Mail Enhancement
Mine already has that option enabled so unfortunately this isn't the workaround i''m looking for god to know so
Reply Quote
Tried it, didn't help at all...
Reply Quote
I'm running windows and Diablo off a fast SSD and had drive indexing turned off since I installed Windows so that's not the problem for me in any case.

06/30/2012 10:49 PMPosted by Kyon
However, there is still that issue with antialiasing being more intensive than it should be.

Strange I found it wasn't anti-aliasing enough so now overriding it with the latest 12.7beta ati drivers works great for me. (I wonder why they don't allow you to change the AA setting in the game...?)
Reply Quote
Good Morning Kaltonis,

Thank you for your helpful post - it was for me lol.

I unchecked the C drive contents indexing and wow, what an improvement.

I would say at least a 97% improvement in playing.

Instead of rubberbanding every 2-3 seconds, I only saw it one time, and for a much shorter distance than previously - maybe just a few feet instead of an entiry screen.

There were about 4-5 hesitations (like a short stop in playing, lasting just a split second) as I was playing - as if it wanted to rubberband me back, but then didn't do it for some reason.

This happened during about 5 quick minutes of playing. I'll go back and disconnect it for sub-folders and files and see if that helps.

Oh, one other thing. Could have been my imagination, but it seemed to want to stutter (rubberband) more (or only) when there were enemies (or I was kiting them) on the screen. I'll try and confirm that later this morning.

Thanks again for your help, now I can go back to playing.

Update: Disconnected the sub-folders and files, played the game for about 6-8 minutes.

Out in an open area (leaving Tristam via the backgate), it only stuttered once for just a split second. Had several battles with mobs, including some blues I had to kite and just that one time.

But, when I walked back into town - again, using the backgate instead of a portal to leave that open area - it started again. Not the big rubberbanding I had previously, but the stutter, as if it stopped for a split second. And that happened during the entire walk from that backgate to the front gate (almost continuously).

If I can duplicate this, I'm going to re-connect the sub-folders and files and see if that makes a difference.

Last update: Only had one very small stutter out in the field behind the town in 30 minutes playing time. Walked back into Tristram and ran from the back gate to the front gate - and back and to the front again - only 2 very minor stutters. And that's still with everything disconnected. I'll leave it that way - still hoping for a long-term solution though.

Edited by SixSixSix#1326 on 7/1/2012 6:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Didn't work for me.
Reply Quote
Hi Kaltonis,

This work-around does not have any positive benefit for any of my 3 PCs that are all experiencing stuttering / frame skipping.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5270834509

That's my thread - Kaltonis, please ask your developers to investigate, because it happens on all 3 of my PCs that all far exceed minimum specs; in fact, one of them is a beast of a PC and should run this game flawlessly, but it is a jittery, stuttering mess! I have a dozen games installed on these 3 PCs and Diablo is the ONLY one with this type of hitching.
Reply Quote
wow I think this actually made my stuttering worse. hahahahaha
Reply Quote
Just finished about a 4-hour playing session.

The stutter has returned, although not as badly as before (not every 2-3 seconds).

It's intermittent, and not often enough to influence playing the game - although still annoying.

One other issue, that I have not seen any other players discuss, there are times when I click on chests or items to pickup, and I can't. I can highlight the item with my cursor, but clicking doesn't have any results.

I have to walk away and return, or keep clicking for a while.

The thing I noticed is that it seems related to a stutter - or in conjunction with?

It's as if the stutter throws you into a different part of the game, but you're not in that part of the game where the chest/loot is, hence you can't pick it up. Hope that makes sense? I don't know how else to describe it. It's like the game is waiting for the video to catch up before it lets you pickup anything. I also want to say, although there's no proof, that the time it takes before you can pick anything up is always the same - in seconds. I get that from having to wait - and the length seems identical - I'm guessing about 2-3 seconds at least.

Oh well, I'm going to check NVIDIA and double-check to make sure I have the latest drivers.

Reply Quote
God damn this helped so much, thank you!
Reply Quote
Unfortunately this workaround did not work for me.
Reply Quote
I'm running windows and Diablo off a fast SSD and had drive indexing turned off since I installed Windows so that's not the problem for me in any case.

However, there is still that issue with antialiasing being more intensive than it should be.

Strange I found it wasn't anti-aliasing enough so now overriding it with the latest 12.7beta ati drivers works great for me. (I wonder why they don't allow you to change the AA setting in the game...?)

The in game anti aliasing is a somewhat crappy version of fxaa. I already have it in override mode at 2x, but when I say intensive I mean more demanding on the GPU, not that it is generating too much AA.
Reply Quote
Didn't work (((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
Reply Quote
Why would you disallow searching of all files? If you are going to do this, why not just the Diablo installation directory and all its subs/files? That's what I did anyway, almost same as OP but only for C:\D3 which is where I installed it.

#edit: nm, I guess it's because Windows is doing other things in the background while D3 is running. Hmmm.
Edited by specular#2304 on 7/1/2012 8:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]