Diablo® III

New Stuttering Workaround!

Perhaps I'm losing my mind but I just did a complete windows search index rebuild in windows 7 and that seemed to help my stuttering while walking around.

I also limit my fps to 59 with evga precision X (could use d3 settings I suppose) and vsync on a 60hz monitor.

*update* It seems to eliminate some stuttering if I set vsync on and do fps limiting to 59 in D3 - seems to work better then the fps limiting with evga for some reason*
Edited by SPiDeRTaKeR#1613 on 7/3/2012 8:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This solved my stuttering issues:
1. Go to My Documents/Diablo III
2. Open file: D3Prefs
3. Look for line item titled HardwareClass "X"
Chances are, your current settings show a 4 or a 5 here, whatever the case, change that to 1, such that you have:
HardwareClass "1"
then Save the file and start the game.

This solved all my stuttering issues. That indexing thing didn't do anything for me.

I'm back here looking for more help.

The indexing solution only helped a little bit, but it's till doing it at a steady pace, although not every 2-3 seconds as it was.

Could you explain the issue with the HardWareClass "X,' i.e., what is it for etc. I'm asking because you said my current settings should show a 4 or 5, and mine is a 6.

I'm not changing it to a 1 till I know more about this.

Thanks for your help, appreciate it.

Reply Quote
Perhaps I'm losing my mind but I just did a complete windows search index rebuild in windows 7 and that seemed to help my stuttering while walking around.

what ?
could you explain what and how to do it ?
maybe it will work for me. :)

btw. other thing maybe for blue i why this game use hdd so much ? i always thought most imporatnt files always load in RAM before game session .
Now i was kind monitoring hdd and its RRT and all the time i see some files use on hdd . Highets RRT most of the times was on ..mpq/base/catch/patch9558 or some other number other time it was file with shadders .. and thats big suprise for me. Shouldnt this be on ram so gpu can use it faster ? i thought that there is more speed between gpu,cpu and ram and thats why those are important . I mean come on i have 64 mb cache on hdd ( i think its 64 hmm anyhow its high so it should not couse all this and it dont in any other game :(
Edited by isosBob#2461 on 7/4/2012 12:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Wow, worked nicely for me. It's not completely gone yet but it's definitely better after making the change. Thanks! :)
Reply Quote
From Kaltonis (NEW from this thread):
One of my colleagues was experimenting with tweaks to reduce his own stuttering when he found that this one had the greatest affect on his system. I then tested the same methodology on three more systems, including my home machine, and noticed a significant improvement on all three.

Now compare the above NEW quote with the older ones below:
These quotes are from thread: HDD Major-Stuttering Solved (not micro-Stutt)

Also from Kaltonis (old):
I personally don't have stuttering issues on either my work or home system, so I won't see any changes. Neither should anyone else who is currently stutter-free.

I was simply mentioning that I've not seen any of these stuttering issues in person outside of the stuttering you get in the first few seconds of most PC games as data is loaded into RAM. I was assuming we weren't really counting that. Outside of those first few seconds when I enter the game, my Witch Doctor has reached level 35 stutter free.

Meanwhile, I don't know anyone who stutters. None of the machines at my office have the issue, none of my co-workers have it that I know of (although I think a friend of a co-worker might), and the three friends that I normally party with don't have stuttering either. This is why we avoid anecdotal evidence, because I don't think either of our experiences properly matches reality. :)

no further words ...
Reply Quote
Edited by Chris#1539 on 7/5/2012 5:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
no further words ...

I can explain this ! The patch ! He have no problem before the patch .^^
Edited by Constasio#1308 on 7/5/2012 7:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Poor Kaltonis, but you know what they say:

If you post a half-@ssed fix to a major problem and don't disable replies

You're gonna have a bad time.
Reply Quote

what ?
could you explain what and how to do it ?
maybe it will work for me. :)

btw. other thing maybe for blue i why this game use hdd so much ? i always thought most imporatnt files always load in RAM before game session .
Now i was kind monitoring hdd and its RRT and all the time i see some files use on hdd . Highets RRT most of the times was on ..mpq/base/catch/patch9558 or some other number other time it was file with shadders .. and thats big suprise for me. Shouldnt this be on ram so gpu can use it faster ? i thought that there is more speed between gpu,cpu and ram and thats why those are important . I mean come on i have 64 mb cache on hdd ( i think its 64 hmm anyhow its high so it should not couse all this and it dont in any other game :(

Instructions:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/17880-index-rebuild.html
Reply Quote
Even after doing all that I've done:

Followed information in this post
Rebuilt windows 7 indexer
set vsync and frame rate limit to 59

I still get stuttering. It might be worth noting that Diablo 3 is loaded on my 1tb WD Black SATA hdd. However, I have a OCZ Synapse 64gb caching ssd and I still get stuttering!

Blizzard this needs to get fixed pronto!

Yea I'd bet that this problem has gotten worse with new patches, which is why Kaltonis is not noticing the problems on his pcs and other blizz employees are noticing the problem. I really want this to run smooth on my pc. There is no reason for this strange stuttering when the game is running at perfect fps.

It is definitely a hdd prefecting issue since my friend who has 2 vertex 3 240gb drives in raid 0 experiences ZERO stuttering when playing this game!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I have tried this fix and it didnt not work for me either. I got a 16gb USB 3.0 flash drive and copied all of the Diablo 3 files to that and the stuttering is almost completely gone. One thing that may be of some importance is that my hard drive is a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive that combines traditional hard drive with 8gb of flash storage to speed up boot times and frequently used applications. So I am wondering if anyone else having this issue is using one of these drives or some other SSD caching like Intel Smart Response technology?
Reply Quote
I just wanna make something clear: All these fixes are workarounds. I'm fine with temporary workarounds, but temporary means, you know, a couple weeks or so. We're almost two months in. At about two months, I get pretty sick of jumping through hoops for Blizzard's failing. I don't even follow the new tips anymore.

Everytime I see something that says, "Do something completely irrelevant to the video game to maybe, just maybe, fix the problem," I roll my eyes while I wait for this game to perform better. This game is slightly playable, but for only short peroids of time before my eyes go buggy and I get exhausted from the skipping. Then I move on to another game. That will become permanent soon.

Everyone should be reminded of the people with low-end, minimum-requirement systems who cannot play this game whatsoever, even after meeting the requirements. I can't think of a game's graphic engine that was so badly designed, except for maybe Doom 3, but even that was playable with decent video settings. D3 is basically "Turn everything off and you'll still get skips because Blizzard decided to make your HD's RPM a core part of performance (brilliant)."
Reply Quote
07/05/2012 11:22 AMPosted by Deathsmash
I have tried this fix and it didnt not work for me either. I got a 16gb USB 3.0 flash drive and copied all of the Diablo 3 files to that and the stuttering is almost completely gone. One thing that may be of some importance is that my hard drive is a Seagate Momentus XT hybrid drive that combines traditional hard drive with 8gb of flash storage to speed up boot times and frequently used applications. So I am wondering if anyone else having this issue is using one of these drives or some other SSD caching like Intel Smart Response technology?

I have a WD 1gb SATA combined with a OCZ Synapse 64gb Caching SSD. I still have stuttering problems. Perhaps the D3 files aren't being cached for some reason. Or perhaps the game is just not optimized for this caching use case so it doesn't resolve the problem.

Either way Blizzard needs to fix the problem so the game works properly on all hdd based systems. Otherwise it should "requires ssd" in the system requirements :).
Reply Quote
Hi,

I have the following system:

Asus P8-Z77 Pro
Intel 3570K
WD SATA 3 HDD
EVGA Geforce GTX 560 SC 1GB
8GB PC1600 RAM

So, the game stutters at the oddest moments. Possibly asset loading, possibly when new sounds are introduced, possibly linked to HDD. Tried this, and it was worse, so reverted.

All settings in game are default * 1920x1080, because this machine should be able to handle default settings.

As someone else said, no more workarounds, there should be a permanent solution.

Blizzard, thanks for your attention to this.
Reply Quote
I just wanna make something clear: All these fixes are workarounds. I'm fine with temporary workarounds, but temporary means, you know, a couple weeks or so. We're almost two months in. At about two months, I get pretty sick of jumping through hoops for Blizzard's failing. I don't even follow the new tips anymore.

Everytime I see something that says, "Do something completely irrelevant to the video game to maybe, just maybe, fix the problem," I roll my eyes while I wait for this game to perform better. This game is slightly playable, but for only short peroids of time before my eyes go buggy and I get exhausted from the skipping. Then I move on to another game. That will become permanent soon.

Everyone should be reminded of the people with low-end, minimum-requirement systems who cannot play this game whatsoever, even after meeting the requirements. I can't think of a game's graphic engine that was so badly designed, except for maybe Doom 3, but even that was playable with decent video settings. D3 is basically "Turn everything off and you'll still get skips because Blizzard decided to make your HD's RPM a core part of performance (brilliant)."

I completely agree with you! However, I suffer through because the game is so damn fun! Hopefully it doesn't take them too much longer to fix these issues.
Reply Quote
I'll tell you what ultimately fixed stuttering for me and I shouldn't have had to do this. I put another 8GB's of DDR3 1333 ram in to my system, which already had the following specs:

ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
Core i7 870
8GB's of DDR3 1333 ram
two MSI Cyclone OC 1GB GTX 460's in SLI
ASUS Xonar Essence STX
ASUS U3S6 card SATA6G/USB 3 card
Crucial C300 128 SSD for a boot drive
Western Digial Cavaiar Blue 320GB SATA 6G harddrive
two Western Digital 320GB SATA harddrives

The fact that I had to drop in another 8GB's of ram to straighten this game out tells me, that the game was coded on the poor side from the start.

I got the ram anyway, as memory prices were low, that I couldn't resist.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]