Diablo® III

[Monk] Tips for Killing Ghom

I just wanted to share what worked for me after a lot of trial and error, as well as 500k gold in repair bills. -_- I'm going to provide as much info as I can to increase the likelihood that you'll find something useful in my post, and maybe it will save you some gold in the process!

[If the following helps you, make sure to give the post a "thumbs-up" so others can see it too. Thanks.]

GEAR:
My gear isn't bad at all, but it's not crazy. I killed him without zerging him down via ridiculous dps. In fact, he died with not much time left before enrage.

MY STATS:
  • Damage: 18699.14 (21504.01 w/ Blazing Wrath)
  • Dexterity: 1546
  • Vitality: 970
  • Armor: 5762
  • Attacks per Second: 1.58
  • Crit Chance: 23.5% (Amulet–5%, Gloves–5%, Shield–8.5%)
  • Crit Damage: 75% (Ring–25%)
  • Block Amount: 2794–3704
  • Block Chance: 16%
  • Dodge Chance: 35.5%
  • Damage Reduction: 65.76%
  • Resist to All: 506 (One with Everything)
  • Health: 42098
  • Life Bonus: 23%
  • Life Per Second: 149
  • Life Steal: 0%
  • Life on Hit: 907 (Amulet–536, Legs–71, Gem-300)
  • Spirit Regen: 1.32 (Helm–1.32)

BUILD:
    http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#aigXRk!XUY!YYabaa
    This build utilizes Transcendence via high Spirit regeneration, resulting in very reliable, consistent healing. It allows the player to use Mantra of Conviction as a clutch heal (as well as a damage boost). With Serenity, Breath of Heaven, Inner Sanctuary, and a little Life on Hit, this build provides enough healing to survive poison clouds that do otherwise unsurvivable damage. If your damage is relatively high compared to mine, you might consider using a different Mantra – one that can make up for a stat that might be relatively low compared to mine.

TIPS:
  • Make sure to start the encounter with both Mantra and Blazing Wrath active and with max Spirit.
  • When the fight begins, run to Ghom by going behind, and around, the left side of the front-left pillar. This places the first poison cloud in a favorable spot for kiting.
  • Use Sweeping Wind and Serenity right away to get your Sweeping Wind stacks to three asap.
  • Kite Ghom counter-clockwise slowly around the room ("And when I say slowly, I mean ******* slow! Many gas clouds. Handle it!"), starting as close to the front-left pillar as possible.
  • Patience is key to kiting him effectively. He is fat and slow, and you will be worried about your Sweeping Wind stacks falling. Just wait for him to walk his happy *** over to you. You will be generating a lot of Spirit, so hit Sweeping Wind again to refresh the stacks without hitting him. Worst case, just let the stacks fall. Do not stand in the poison clouds for any reason.
  • Each time you move out of one poison cloud, stay as close to that cloud as you can without actually taking damage from it, and, again, wait for him to come to you.
  • Kill the adds quickly (unless they are sitting in a poison cloud). There's already enough damage going around as it is.
  • Once you get a feel for when he is about to spawn his adds, time your Inner Sanctuary with the add spawns. This will give you extra healing while you nuke them down, and it provides a barrier that Ghom has to walk around to get to you, limiting the damage you take while adds are up.
  • The "super-special-ancient-Chinese-secret" of this build is repeatedly healing yourself with Mantra. I only had the 62 life-per-spirit from Transcendence, so the heal was only 4650, but it has no CD, and can be used really frequently b/c of all the spirit regen in the build. Long story short, it's clutch.

• Lastly, if your dps is like mine, be ready to get him down to 5-10% health and then die from enrage a few times. He'll enrage, which will make you enrage. You two will share a moment.

Hope this helps! If you have any questions, feel free to ask, and I'll give the best info I can.

Good Luck!
Edited by Hades#1850 on 7/2/2012 9:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
He'll enrage, which will make you enrage. Haha. Well said.

Great tips here, thanks dude. Might be worth posting it in the Monk class forum as well to get some better feedback.
Reply Quote
He'll enrage, which will make you enrage. Haha. Well said.

Great tips here, thanks dude. Might be worth posting it in the Monk class forum as well to get some better feedback.

I just posted it there as well. Thanks for the response. =)
Reply Quote
Thank you for taking the time to write this up.
Reply Quote
Great post! Love people posting solutions instead of QQ.

It took me 10 or so attempts to get him down.

I tried several different specs and several different gear options.

I found a good combination of DPS, LOH and mitigation that worked for me. There is definitely more than one way to beat him. So look around the forums.

I ended up using Mantra of Conviction + Blinding Flash and bursting hard then moving away in order to beat the enrage timer. I had to up my LOH some from my regular gear and I had to get good at kiting him. It took some practice.

One tip I found is that you can use the worms as a source of LOH while moving him around. Every little bit of healing helps in this fight. But if Ghom is in range and there is not a cloud to move out of you should be hitting him with every thing you have.
Edited by Kezmaefele#1109 on 7/2/2012 9:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
29 Night Elf Hunter
Thanks for the write-up. Bookmarked and will re-read in a day or two when I get there..

07/02/2012 08:57 AMPosted by Hades
He'll enrage, which will make you enrage. You two will share a moment.

LOL. that was awesome :D
Reply Quote
can i see your Weapon and Shield? i'm also a monk too
Reply Quote
07/02/2012 09:19 AMPosted by NoD

Yes, check back in about an hour. I have to leave for class right now or I'll be late! =)
Reply Quote
07/02/2012 09:14 AMPosted by Unsight
Thank you for taking the time to write this up.

No prob, thanks for the response =)
Reply Quote
07/02/2012 09:19 AMPosted by NoD

Fist Weapon:
803 DPS
121 Vitality
51 Dexterity
Gem slot with Star Amethyst

Shield:
1092 Armor
54 Dexterity
71 Vitality
8.5% Crit Chance

NOTE: Those of you who have defeated Ghom post–1.03 with other successful builds, please share them and how they work, and I'll add them to the original post.
Reply Quote
I killed him solo with 14k dps and 700LoH before he enraged. Just use your earthbro and azzy will never focus on your hero.
Reply Quote
07/02/2012 03:58 PMPosted by conTAMinate
I killed him solo with 14k dps and 700LoH before he enraged. Just use your earthbro and azzy will never focus on your hero.

Hey conTAMinate, would you post a link to the spec you used as well as some of your basic stats, so I can add it to the op? Thanks. =)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Hey has to be refering to a different boss, azmodan perhaps. Any ally in the ghom encounter dies in about 5 seconds (including the earth ally). I was hoping, in my attempts to kill him that they would help, but they are more troublesome then helpful.
Reply Quote
can this be done with about 70% of the stats you mentioned? 60%?
Reply Quote
07/02/2012 04:17 PMPosted by Lorenze
can this be done with about 70% of the stats you mentioned? 60%?

Probably not by me, but you might be better than me, so give it a shot. =)
Reply Quote
07/02/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Gunkz
Hey has to be refering to a different boss, azmodan perhaps. Any ally in the ghom encounter dies in about 5 seconds (including the earth ally). I was hoping, in my attempts to kill him that they would help, but they are more troublesome then helpful.

This is the truth.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]