Diablo® III

Reason behind my RMAH account lock explained

It is obviously easy for them to detect region of log in.

If he logs in from a different region then blizzard should immediately lock his account upon successful authentication. This is possible and not beyond them.

The problem is they have purposefully left it out but have established rules for what to do in case it happens.

Convenient, no?

GeoIP is useless as an indicator to actual location. Every gold farmer around learned to spoof IP addresses so they show up as being from NYC or Texas when they logon. Thats why IP bans are worthless.

Please know the subject before you converse on it.
06/29/2012 04:31 PMPosted by Tilde
I smell a lawsuit, in the future, regarding to these rmah issues.

I didn't want to believe it at first, but the more of this kind of thing I hear, the more I fear it could happen. Activision's pockets are deep enough for a few sleazeball lawyers to be willing to take a crack at them.

The sad thing is the lawyers will walk with a nice pay check, and the plaintiffs will probably end up with a $10 credit in the RMAH.

It already has: in korea. Granted is wasn,t a lawsuit per say, but its still a case of country laws > EULA/TOS. At the end of the day, acti-blizz !@#$ed up BIG time. It seems like they didn't think this thing through and never took the legal repercussions of something as big as RMAH into account, probably on the basis of their own EULA/TOS. Unfortunatly for them, those 2 might as well be toilet paper when it comes to confronting customer protection and market regulation laws. They are a GAMING company that got into BANKING, with obviously very little clue on exactly what it entices.
06/29/2012 04:14 PMPosted by Lipe123
LMAO, I'm sorry OP but why would you put 200$ into this game in its current state?

Irrelevant.

This is out and out theft.
However, he was allowed to deposit and was then forbidden from spending or withdrawing the money. The policies should have prevented the deposit in the first place.

Blizzard has basically taken the money then told him to pound sand. I can't imagine that's really their intent, and I would hope to see issues like this resolved - with a procedure change that prevents future cross-region deposits entirely.
How can Blizzard know he deposited cross-region? Maybe he deposited while in the US, then moved, then tried to spend? It's a muddled grey area, and their policy is that the user should update their address.

It does put the onus on the user, but it's written clearly that he should have known. Maybe a disclaimer when you deposit should be in order "is this your current address, click y/n", but other than that, it's his fault.

I haven't deposited anything in Battle.Net balance, so maybe it already asks this question! I don't know for certain.
06/29/2012 04:41 PMPosted by CyberGoat
It does put the onus on the user, but it's written clearly that he should have known. Maybe a disclaimer when you deposit should be in order "is this your current address, click y/n", but other than that, it's his fault.

Isn't this what happens every time the ToU scrolls by and you have to ACCEPT or DECLINE?
90 Undead Death Knight
06/29/2012 04:41 PMPosted by CyberGoat
How can Blizzard know he deposited cross-region? Maybe he deposited while in the US, then moved, then tried to spend? It's a muddled grey area, and their policy is that the user should update their address.

They could figure it out the same way they suddenly knew when he went to buy an item? They just chose to look for it when someone spends money on the RMAH instead of when they deposit.

As for someone moving afterwards, I imagine this sort of system is going to bring up quite a few issues for people that travel.
It is obviously easy for them to detect region of log in.

If he logs in from a different region then blizzard should immediately lock his account upon successful authentication. This is possible and not beyond them.

The problem is they have purposefully left it out but have established rules for what to do in case it happens.

Convenient, no?

GeoIP is useless as an indicator to actual location. Every gold farmer around learned to spoof IP addresses so they show up as being from NYC or Texas when they logon. Thats why IP bans are worthless.

Please know the subject before you converse on it.

I understand what a PROXY is.

If an account is registered wherever and the country doesn't match then lock it. Easy.

Now if someone overrides this by proxy on account set up and during play then oh well.

We aren't conversing about stopping cheats. We are conversing on how to correct this as well as why blizzard didn't protect the average consumer.

Also, if it's so useless as an indicator then entire companies wouldn't be making billions on the analysis of data and where the consumer base is located. You don't base your policies and security, or lack thereof, from the standpoint that, "oh they could spoof it, oh well just ban them and take their cash.".

My posts are never meant to direct any sort of anger or hostility towards a person which you obviously felt. Don't take it as such.

And even TOR browser which is part of the onion network can be thwarted and they multi-layer encrypt data before its sent and route your connection over several hubs around the world
Edited by HenryGuy#1194 on 6/29/2012 4:54 PM PDT
Blizzard does this to prevent money laundering outside of country boundaries. That's why they 0 it out.

Honestly, you should keep an updated address if you want to utilize services. I update my address when I've moved at everything I care about
banks
Ebay
PayPal
Post Office (mail forwarding)
Cell Phone company
Employment
...now just add Blizzard to that list.

Also, the region change may result in you not being able to utilize the US-based AH. This is also to prevent scammers.

I'm glad they have these policies and audits. Sorry to say, but you should have taken more care, OP.

It wouldn't make a difference where he is in the world because his PayPal account is still the same.
LMAO, I'm sorry OP but why would you put 200$ into this game in its current state?

The support is nonexistant, players lose money in the rmah with no items and the support answer is just "s*** happpens"

All you can do is make more and more tickets complaining about it and pray that it will eventually be resolved.

You moved to a different region and didn't think for a second this might be an issue?

LOL!

That's as far as I got, too long.

06/29/2012 04:22 PMPosted by RaiDTwiS
While you're a moron for buying into the RMAH... Blizzard deserves all the hatred they can get for this. This is theft. LOL that they'll allow funds from all over the world into the B.Net account, but not to actually spend them. Slimy bastards.

If you are part of any of these responses, you should unplug your internet now, and move away to a mountain somewhere far away from society.
Amazing what people will go through to give blizzard money and rather then be thankful they lie and have attitude. Writing is on the wall for blizzard. I predict [mark my words] You will see no new game from blizzard ever that does well. It'll be patches and expansion for all their existing games [none of which will live up to the hype].

They will however do this with a lot of attitude expecting their customers to be thankful for their shoddy effort.
90 Undead Death Knight
06/29/2012 04:49 PMPosted by Bergtau
It wouldn't make a difference where he is in the world because his PayPal account is still the same.

Yes it would unfortunately. The first couple of days of the RMAH's launch there was an issue because people had a different zip code for their bnet account and paypal. To be fair, plenty of other companies' services use the zip code thing to prevent people from using fake paypal accounts.
haha

documented thievery!

you need a receipt/copy of your account balance
Edited by davelisowski#1385 on 6/29/2012 4:57 PM PDT
Blizzard does this to prevent money laundering outside of country boundaries. That's why they 0 it out.

Honestly, you should keep an updated address if you want to utilize services. I update my address when I've moved at everything I care about
banks
Ebay
PayPal
Post Office (mail forwarding)
Cell Phone company
Employment
...now just add Blizzard to that list.

Also, the region change may result in you not being able to utilize the US-based AH. This is also to prevent scammers.

I'm glad they have these policies and audits. Sorry to say, but you should have taken more care, OP.

Yes, because when you move, the post office takes all of your stamps, ebay closes all of your auctions and keeps the products, paypal and your bank takes your entire account balance, your cell phone company takes your cell phone...

Wait that actually doesn't happen. Taken more care? Good God these forums are pathetic. For some of you, Blizzard can do no harm... hey it's HIS fault if blizzard takes $200.00 for an address change. For others, Blizzard can do no right.

This is a definitive example of Blizzard being wrong. I assume they will fix it, because I don't believe they like this kind of press.

OP: I would inform Blizzard (politely) that if they take the $200, you will be forced to charge it back, and in addition, will charge back the original purchase of the game should they block you from playing it.
Really, this thread is going nowhere.

If he's legit, he just needs to contact his bank to get his money back. "Hey, I gave Blizzard this money, they zero'd out my balance because I moved". Most US banks will take the consumer's side on this issue.

If he's not legit, he's just lying on the forums to stir up an issue. But I can almost guarantee he did not post the full story.

Either way, forum posters can't help him. This post now only serves as a warning to those who move - update your information in a timely manner like the EULA states. Then you have no problems.
06/29/2012 05:05 PMPosted by CyberGoat
But I can almost guarantee he did not post the full story.

Are you ALMOST clairvoyant? Why does this sound anything but legitimate? It appears to be a simple example of unintended red-tape by a company. I'm sure the intent here was to tell users that so they could use the balance prior to a country change. But in his case, his account is locked, so he can't.
06/29/2012 04:47 PMPosted by HenryGuy
We aren't conversing about stopping cheats. We are conversing on how to correct this as well as why blizzard didn't protect the average consumer.

You are trying to protect the consumer from himself though. In this case it was the consumer who admits he made a mistake in not updating his account info and caused the issue. Use the "but for" test of liability. "But for" the actions of the user not updating his account, the whole issue wouldn't have happened.
Edited by Alethia#1148 on 6/29/2012 5:09 PM PDT
06/29/2012 05:08 PMPosted by Sublime
Are you ALMOST clairvoyant? Why does this sound anything but legitimate? It appears to be a simple example of unintended red-tape by a company. I'm sure the intent here was to tell users that so they could use the balance prior to a country change. But in his case, his account is locked, so he can't.

No, I've seen enough of forum posts like this:
"I was hacked, but have an authenticator"
<blue poster enters>: sorry, you attached it AFTER you were compromised.

"I won this roll for an item (WoW), but never received it"
<blue poster enters>: sorry, you rolled a 99. XYZ in your party rolled a 100. Perhaps it scrolled off your screen, but you did not win it.

etc, etc, etc. Forum posters lie. And as I've said, if he's legit and getting nowhere with Blizzard, he needs to contact his bank. Forums are the wrong place.

As it stands, this only serves as a warning - update your address for all services when you move.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]