Diablo® III

What does "Item Levels Really Mean?"

(Locked)

90 Tauren Druid
I see a lot of items with item level 61, 62 and 63 on them, to me this would mean a level 63 item is more powerful than a 61 item, yet this is never the case? I have seen item level 63 items that are not as powerful as level 55 items.

So what does item level really mean?
Base dmg, Base armor and possible stats.
Some stats can just spawn at lvl 63 items, for example 6% crit chance on helmet
90 Gnome Warrior
The stat rolls for higher level items have higher minimum and maximum ranges. An ilvl61 item with really good rolls will be better than most ilvl63 items. An ilvl63 item with really bad rolls will be worse than most ilvl61 items.

But the best ilvl61 item will never be as good as the best ilvl63 item, and the worst ilvl63 item will never be as bad as the worst ilvl61 item.
Edited by Cogwheel#1734 on 6/29/2012 3:49 PM PDT
wtf are you talking about. just cause a blue 63 is worst then a rare 55 doesn't mean that lvl 55 items are better.
The possibility of more affixes and higher caps for the stats that are generated on the item. A perfect level 63 item would always be better than a perfect item 61 but RNG is RNG.
Cetainly nothing like WoW's context.

Just think of them as the higher the ilevel, the chance for higher possiblity on possible stats.

Wait that didn't come out right...edited

Ehh still sounds like crap.
Edited by BLACKKETYL#1917 on 6/29/2012 3:51 PM PDT
By the time you have the item, the ilvl is pretty much meaningless. Just ignore it.
90 Gnome Warrior
06/29/2012 03:52 PMPosted by Kowari
so item level is just higher potential not higher intrinsic value?

yep.

Well that and they break down into different mats (61+ = inferno mats, 50-60 = hell mats, etc)
Edited by Cogwheel#1734 on 6/29/2012 3:55 PM PDT
Yes exactly.

Minimums may also be affected too.

Just think of them as the higher the ilevel, the chance for higher possiblity on possible stats.

lol
90 Undead Warlock
In a nutshell, yup.

lol

I laughed when I wrote it as well....
As far as I'm concerned, an easy way to tell what it will salvage if you sell it.

For normal equipment, 61+ gives inferno materials. For follower restricted items, ilvl 60+ will do it.

Mostly the things other people said too, but as I don't care about the ilvl of an item and what it could possibly have, just the stats it actually has, it's something I don't really pay attention to other than where I should be farming for the best odds. Individual itemwise, though, it only matters to me for salvaging, except I'd probably sell a great ilvl 55 for more than an equally nice ilvl 63, just because you don't have to be max level to use it.
How is it with base stats then?

Items, let's say a sword get's new names the higher up you get em (thinking white items, or unidentified rares) Like "Pirate sword" in hell, or Act 1 inferno, and "Conquest sword" act 2+ inferno.

Do that mean the item have better base stats? Even when it's a rare? Still trying to figure out, if the Ilvl is the only thing that matters, or if the base stats are important to it aswell. (mainly thinking wepaons here)

Ive yet to see a Weapon do more than 600ish DPS from act 1, nomatter the affixes it might have. Wondering as to it's possible to find thoose 700+ dps weapon on act 1, or due to the base stats of the item, ill have to farm act 3+?

Is it strictly the Ilvl and roll on the item, or does the base stats mean something aswell?

Hope it makes sense, and somebody can cast some light over this topic.
60 Human Death Knight
06/29/2012 04:17 PMPosted by TheNax
Ive yet to see a Weapon do more than 600ish DPS from act 1, nomatter the affixes it might have. Wondering as to it's possible to find thoose 700+ dps weapon on act 1, or due to the base stats of the item, ill have to farm act 3+?

Higher ilevel is simply capable of being better, if the stars align.

So far as act 1 is concerned, it has nothing to do with the DPS of the items dropped there - that's entirely ilevel and the affixes you get from RNG when they drop. Any ilevel 61 that drops in act 3 has exactly the same chance/opportunity to be good as any ilevel 61 (of the same type) that drops in act 1. There is just a marginally higher chance of it actually dropping in act 3.

And just last week i landed a 987 DPS 2h bow from act 1, which had some nice affixes that made it an upgrade over the 1166 dps weapon i had gotten from the AH - which for all i know could have come from act 4.... or act 2... or 3 or 1. I also had a couple 7-800 DPS this week, but yes... not often.

I have also never gotten a higher DPS drop than that particular 987 2h from kills in acts 2, 3, or 4. Obviously doesn't mean that they dont drop in those acts too... just RNG. Follow?

Different acts only have different drop rates for higher ilevel items, not better items of the same ilvl.

edit- and if it helps, i've had a couple legendaries drop in the past week in act 1 as well. All RNG.
(only wear about 103 magic find as well, if you're curious...)
Edited by MrWarglaive#1296 on 6/29/2012 4:42 PM PDT
Community Manager
It is one piece of what determines an item's "budget". You can think of an item as a blank slate, and by placing specific labels on it that have pre-determined "costs" the item essentially has a number of points it can then "spend on itself". The game will say "This is an ilvl 63 rare set of gloves". Those labels determine what affixes it can have, its maximum and minimum ranges, as well as damage, speed, armor, etc. Essentially every part of the item is determined by its type (common, magic, rare, legendary), what kind of item it is (head, chest, sword, etc.) and item level. Crafted, Legendary and Set items follow the same rules, but can have set affixes on them that don't change but still have a range to roll.

Item's also have broad ranges, and will overlap. The below concept of that overlap is in no way accurate or indicative of anything at all, except to illustrate the overlap. :)

Completely made up power scale that has no basis in anything:

<--------ilvl61-------->
<--------ilvl62-------->
<--------ilvl63-------->

I'm probably missing something in there, but that's the basic gist. We're working on adding a ton of the more nitty gritty game design specifics to the Game Guide up-top. We're shooting for something not too unlike the old Arreat Summit to detail systems and the inner workings of the game, which should help with this specific question as well.
Edited by Bashiok on 6/29/2012 4:58 PM PDT
To give you a super basic example :

Let's say lvl 55 items are either 100DPS dagger or 200DPS sword.
LVL 63 items are either 100DPS dagger, 200DPS sword, or 250DPS axe

Stats rolls for lvl 55 are either +10MF, or +10% to +40% damage
Stats rolls for lvl 63 are either +15MF or +10% to +50% damage

You could get a 280DPS (200 + 40%) sword level 55.
Or you could get a 100DPS dagger +15MF level 63.

Those are the best case scenario for lvl 55 and worst for lvl 63.

But you could also get a 100DPS +10MF dagger for level 55
or a 375DPS axe for level 63.
Those are worst case for lvl 55 and best case for lvl 63.

In short, if you roll good on your lvl 55, it'll be better than tons of lvl 63.
But if you roll good on both items, the lvl 63 is gonna be godly, worth 10's/100's of millions gold, while the lvl55 is gonna be trash/average.
06/29/2012 04:54 PMPosted by Bashiok
Completely made up power scale that has no basis in anything:

I can already tell that this is the part of the quote everyone will ignore while saying "LOOK AT THIS SCALE BASHIOK IS A LIAR"
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]