Diablo® III

Inflation insanity

90 Night Elf Warrior
I purchased most of my gear (for around 5 mil) early on. I've been farming for awhile have saved around 30 million gold - and because of inflation - I can't upgrade the gear I have. In some cases my gear is worth 50 times more than it was when I bought it (axe that cost me 1 million is now worth 50 mil). Where is all this money coming from? Why is everything so expensive?
Edited by Shmoseph#1104 on 6/28/2012 4:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
RMAH is driving up prices in gold AH.
Edited by NOhara#1480 on 6/28/2012 4:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
yeah, its def. inhibiting us from gearing out our characters!
Reply Quote
It's to stop players from progressing from Hell to Inferno.

So those players already in Inferno can chant in forums 'learn to play scrubs' 'do you want your gear handed to you bads?' 'farm more' 'go back a level' etc etc.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
06/28/2012 04:25 PMPosted by Vaylene
yeah, its def. inhibiting us from gearing out our characters!

I hate it because I've been farming like crazy and have made quite a bit of money selling on the AH, but now I feel stuck.
Reply Quote
Fluctuating economy is fluctuating. Prices will come down, just you wait and see.
Reply Quote
Try selling the stuff you've got first. Then maybe you'll have money?
Reply Quote
06/28/2012 04:23 PMPosted by Kasane
I purchased most of my gear (for around 5 mil) early on. I've been farming for awhile have saved around 30 million gold - and because of inflation - I can't upgrade the gear I have. In some cases my gear is worth 50 times more than it was when I bought it (axe that cost me 1 million is now worth 50 mil). Where is all this money coming from? Why is everything so expensive?

It's expensive because you saved 50 million gold. You literally answered your own question.
Here's logic (I know, it's surprising on these forums):

When you purchase items from the AH, your next gear upgrade will a) take longer to find, and b) be more expensive, everything else being equal. This means on average, both of those remain true. Yes, you can get lucky through RNG and find an upgrade in 30 seconds. But statistically speaking, each upgrade costs you more time (and thus it's also more expensive if purchasing).

Now, imagine instead of you being ONE player, you are 1,000,000 players. They all saved up 50m gold each. Guess what? 50m doesn't buy what it used to buy.
Reply Quote
06/28/2012 04:24 PMPosted by NOhara
RMAH is driving up prices in gold AH.

Yep... We now have 2 markets, one that takes off where the other leaves off.

People don't want to sell for gold, so they sell for a lot more; they would rather make real money.

Another problem I imagine is where all the gold is coming from; must be farmers with too much time on their damn hands.
Reply Quote
It is a good question and lends to the idea that there must be gold exploits in the sytem, people aren't farming gold that frequently to generate the billions in gold we're seeing in the AH. Instead, some must be generating gold in some manner (or loaded up from the old exploits), which they then sell into the economy. With that gold created in the economy, those who buy gold or trade in the AH frequently then get ahold of massive amounts of gold and are willing to buy items up at steep prices... thus the inflation (this is the part everyone else mentions).

The real question is, how is all that gold getting into the system? Sure I can sell some AH items and get millions (or hundreds of millions), but where did the original gold come from for that buyer? Because even if everyone was gold finding, and not spending any in the gold sinks,there seems to be far more gold than one can account for... I gold find a bit every day usually and only have found maybe a few million gold, and I don't think every player is doing hours and hours of gold runs every day...
Edited by TheGull#1221 on 6/28/2012 4:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
06/28/2012 04:30 PMPosted by CyberGoat

It's expensive because you saved 50 million gold. You literally answered your own question.
Here's logic (I know, it's surprising on these forums):

When you purchase items from the AH, your next gear upgrade will a) take longer to find, and b) be more expensive, everything else being equal. This means on average, both of those remain true. Yes, you can get lucky through RNG and find an upgrade in 30 seconds. But statistically speaking, each upgrade costs you more time (and thus it's also more expensive if purchasing).

Now, imagine instead of you being ONE player, you are 1,000,000 players. They all saved up 50m gold each. Guess what? 50m doesn't buy what it used to buy.

Your logic is still short-sighted... point being; why did everyone save at the same time?

That doesn't just happen.
Reply Quote
Save your gold prices will come down now due to 1.0.3b , almost everything is 'doubled' now in the drop rate of inferno gear.
Reply Quote
Your logic is still short-sighted... point being; why did everyone save at the same time?

You save because your gear upgrades take days.
That's why I saved 10m in the last few days (by saved, I mean acquired through drops).

Think back to when you were level 1... you found gear upgrades literally every 10 seconds.
Now think back to when you were 30... you found a gear upgrade every hour or so.
At 60? Maybe every 3-4 hours of play.
At 60 when your ilvl is high? Once a day.
At 60 when your ilvl is REALLY high and you've been refined? Once a week.

If you use the AH, you simply accelerate this process.
Reply Quote
Farming more gold or created from zilch (farming in game is akin to printing more money from nothing literally), ends up with too much gold in economy. Hyperinflation happens.
Edited by Rogue#1170 on 6/28/2012 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

You save because your gear upgrades take days.
That's why I saved 10m in the last few days (by saved, I mean acquired through drops).

Think back to when you were level 1... you found gear upgrades literally every 10 seconds.
Now think back to when you were 30... you found a gear upgrade every hour or so.
At 60? Maybe every 3-4 hours of play.
At 60 when your ilvl is high? Once a day.
At 60 when your ilvl is REALLY high and you've been refined? Once a week.

If you use the AH, you simply accelerate this process.

That wouldn't cause that much inflation. The gold has been devalued, because of real money.. it's as simple as that.
Reply Quote
because bots have farmed billions of gold and then it is sold cheaply to players who then use said gold to buy high priced items.

average joe who has a job and small amounts of disposable income can easily "purchase" 50 million gold.

How long would it take him to farm that in game? Huge amounts of time, much easier just to buy it with real money.
Edited by Kindke#2993 on 6/28/2012 4:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]