Diablo® III

Tried to explain undead to a friend

"Yeah the archangel of justice gave up his wings and plummeted to the earth and hit with a huge *poof* of justice, which made all these undead rise because their deaths were unjust so they can ... kill everyone alive. Yep. Justice."

I got a really funny look.
Reply Quote
ya that makes no sense, justice juice should make the undead go after demons, not innocent people.
Reply Quote
It was very, very weak story writing... why was that the only effect of the justice bomb that got exploded when Tyrael fell? Why didn't everyone who had been working really hard at their jobs get a pay raise? I'd say THAT would've been justice! It was just a sloppy, lazy reason for lots of skeletons and zombies to show up and made no sense.
Reply Quote
Actually, if the bomb of Justice dropped on Tristram (off all places in the world of Sanctuary!) the whole town should have turned into gold and the people there into kings for what they suffered through.
Reply Quote
Non-boss monsters in video games don't need an explanation, since typically they're more of a game mechanic than a storyline element.
Reply Quote
The D3 story is horrible. I can only think it is due to the echo chamber at Blizzard filled with sycophants who want to just agree with whatever the celebrity (to them) Chris Metzen says.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Warlock
Should've had it so the undead didn't rise, would've been a much better game that way, if we didn't have to fight the undead, or if Tyrael stayed an angel and did all the work for us.

I mean, wtf.
Reply Quote
The dialog I'd like to see after Tyreal explains the undead:

Me: Really?

Tyreal: No, I was just guessing. I have no idea why all these undead popped up. But I think the goat men were all riled up because that enchantress stole their staff, not because they found a piece of my sword. Perhaps we should edit her out of the rest of the game as punishment.
Reply Quote
I'm not saying that it was said, but what they SHOULD have said is this:

Tyrael knew he needed to communicate his dire warning about the End of Days Prophecy. Since he founded the Horadrim and Cain was the last of the Horadrim... his thoughts caused him to crash literally right on top of Cain. Angelic version of the "drunk text."

Since he was the embodiment of Justice, his power (essence, *poof*, Angel Juice, etc.) escaping released the Skeleton King from his just imprisonment and he sent his armies out to conquer New Tristram. The wretched mothers were the handmaidens of the Queen... doesn't make sense that they would be "unjustly killed."
Reply Quote
06/29/2012 01:37 PMPosted by Melancholy
Since he was the embodiment of Justice, his power (essence, *poof*, Angel Juice, etc.) escaping released the Skeleton King from his just imprisonment and he sent his armies out to conquer New Tristram. The wretched mothers were the handmaidens of the Queen... doesn't make sense that they would be "unjustly killed."

The queen was beheaded for a conspiracy that didn't exist, presumably her handmaidens suffered a similar fate. Even the king was betrayed by one he trusted, even if there was a reason to it.

But the idea that such pure, holy energy would animate creatures of such complete evil is beyond me, and I didn't even see the flaw in the story until I was trying to explain it to someone who had no context yet.
Reply Quote
I actually thought this was one of the rare good parts of the lore. It shows that even Leoric was once a good man before he got betrayed and went mad. It makes you realize that a lot of evil characters aren't that evil, but just have had a lot of "bad luck". The story of Leoric's life is full of unjustice, so I don't find it that hard to believe that the fall of Justice could awake him. Twisted as he was when he lived, he still is in undead.
Edited by Joren#2795 on 7/1/2012 4:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I think Blizzard could have saved themselves a lot of criticism if they'd skipped all the "justice juice" crap, and just have Tyrael say that his "energy" or "life force" leaked out and reanimated the dead.

Obviously, this wouldn't make any sense in our world, but it makes perfect sense in the fantasy world of Sanctuary. Tyrael was a member of the Angeris Council, so he's obviously a powerful magical being. When he ceased to be an angel, he could only wield a small fraction of that magical energy. The rest of it had to go somewhere.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]