Diablo® III

Confession Time

I have been keeping a horrible secret bottled up inside me for the past few weeks. At first, I swore to myself that I would never reveal it to anyone. But every time I click over to the story forum and see another OP criticizing Diablo 3's story for being "too predictable", I feel a pang of guilt in the deepest fiber in my being. I can stand it no longer! I must confess my sins to the community, and purify myself in the flames that will inevitably follow. I hope for some small shred of mercy...but I doubt I will receive it. Nevertheless, here goes:

I DID NOT GUESS THAT EMPEROR HAKAN WAS ACTUALLY BELIAL.

To be honest, I didn't think Belial would even bother to disguise himself at all, since it was pretty obvious he already had total control of Caldeum. I thought he was just chilling inside the palace, or maybe lurking somewhere in the ridiculously huge sewer system (seriously, how does a city of thirty people produce that much poop?) and that my character would confront him there.

If I had any suspicions, I was always able to explain them away. Why do all of Emperor Hakan's lines sound so stilted and forced? He's probably being voiced by an inexperienced child actor. Why is he able to appear anywhere in a puff of green smoke? Well...this is a fantasy story, right? Maybe he has a little Witch Doctor blood in him.

So, am I beyond help? Should I spend a few weeks watching Scooby-Doo in an attempt to build up my skepticism to healthy levels? Does anyone sympathize with my plight?
Reply Quote
Na you're okay.

I didn't guess he was Belial because I had no idea what the heck was going on. At that point in the game (notably after Cain dies) my friend and I were just like "okay what crazy shenanigans are going to happen next... oh the kid's an evil demon... okay next..."
Reply Quote
I can only assume you never watched Scooby Doo as a child.
Reply Quote
Nah, I'm with you. I figured the Lord of Deception would have a way better plan than to actually be The Only Person That Kinda Seemed Like They Could Be Belial.

I mean, hell... even Baal does a better job pretending to be Tyrael! Nobody saw that one coming and he's the Lord of DESTRUCTION
Reply Quote
While I was playing my roommate told me "I bet that's Belial," referring to Emperor Hakan.

"Surely," I thought, "they wouldn't've made it this obvious."

We bet ten dollars on it.
Edited by LittleDisco#1482 on 7/1/2012 9:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
While I was playing my roommate told me "I bet that's Belial," referring to Emperor Hakan.

Didn't work out too much for you, huh?

If I were to become ruler of a city through force, and had the power to disguise myself as someone, I would not disguise myself as the FORMER ruler of the city. I would probably disguise myself as a beggar or something. But then, beggars aren't look upon kindly. Man, this is harder than I thought....
Reply Quote

If I were to become ruler of a city through force, and had the power to disguise myself as someone, I would not disguise myself as the FORMER ruler of the city. I would probably disguise myself as a beggar or something. But then, beggars aren't look upon kindly. Man, this is harder than I thought....

You gotta do what Gríma Wormtongue did in LOTR... lie your way into number 2 spot and corrupt the leader.
Reply Quote

Nope.

I guess the twist was that there was no twist.

Silly me.
Reply Quote
You must not have read any many Dan Brown books?

I don't think I go tit either. I just wasn't paying attention to much outside of cut scenes.
Reply Quote
I didn't guess it either. Actually, I learned he was Belial before beat Act 2 Normal. I've played it twice and TBH, whie I can see how you can raise your suspicions, I didn't see any, "Ah hah!" moments in the dialogue. How did the hero know for certain the Emperor was Belial?
Reply Quote
Awww don't feel too bad OP - I think a lot of the people who saw that "twist" coming were people who watched/read interviews with the development team. They kept stressing that Belial's act was going to be based on deception because Belial is the lord of lies, so I think a lot of people (myself included) were sort of on the lookout for who/what could be an illusion or a deception.

If you just played it through without the background info, there was no reason in particular to be 100% sure that Belial was Emperor Babychild. I relieve you of your guilt and shame! Live in the darkness no more!!
Reply Quote
I
Why do all of Emperor Hakan's lines sound so stilted and forced? He's probably being voiced by an inexperienced child actor.

I thought the little guy did a good job. Maybe a line or two that was forced, but overall I was impressed. He sure did better than miss "I'm losing..control!"
Reply Quote
You gotta do what Gríma Wormtongue did in LOTR... lie your way into number 2 spot and corrupt the leader.

Unfortunately, they already did that with Lazarus, and re-emphasized that in Act 1 in Leroic's dungeon...

But I also did not see Belial being the emperor.

I was thinking more along the line of Belial being someone else who was using magic to make the boy a necromantic puppet... But that probably would have pushed this game's rating up, now that I rethink that thought in retrospect...
Reply Quote
42 Gnome Priest
07/02/2012 02:14 PMPosted by WarMonkey
I didn't guess it either. Actually, I learned he was Belial before beat Act 2 Normal. I've played it twice and TBH, whie I can see how you can raise your suspicions, I didn't see any, "Ah hah!" moments in the dialogue. How did the hero know for certain the Emperor was Belial?

As a player you are let know as soon as you meet Hakan in the sewers. Your character should guess it since Hakan can magically follow you around, but somehow can't talk to you privately before his guard attack you the first time you meet. He says he'll take care of finding the demon despite claiming to be unable to act because he's surrounded by guards and millions of other dialogue and chatter options.
Reply Quote

As a player you are let know as soon as you meet Hakan in the sewers. Your character should guess it since Hakan can magically follow you around, but somehow can't talk to you privately before his guard attack you the first time you meet. He says he'll take care of finding the demon despite claiming to be unable to act because he's surrounded by guards and millions of other dialogue and chatter options.

Right, don't get me wrong; I can definitely see how someone can "guess" Hakan is Belial, but your hero doesn't do that. They walk right in, confront the Emperor, and say "Belial, GTFO!" So, my question is what was the line/evidence that proved that the Emperor was Hakan? Because I'm apparently missing that. I supposed you could point out him saying he'll search for the demon despite not being able to do anything, but if that's the only thing that confirms he's Belial, that's pretty weak. Also, I want to reassure you guys I'm not trying to argue; I'm just completely oblivious to what the smoking gun was.
Edited by WarMonkey#1467 on 7/3/2012 7:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Right, don't get me wrong; I can definitely see how someone can "guess" Hakan is Belial, but your hero doesn't do that. They walk right in, confront the Emperor, and say "Belial, GTFO!" So, my question is what was the line/evidence that proved that the Emperor was Hakan? Because I'm apparently missing that. I supposed you could point out him saying he'll search for the demon despite not being able to do anything, but if that's the only thing that confirms he's Belial, that's pretty weak. Also, I want to reassure you guys I'm not trying to argue; I'm just completely oblivious to what the smoking gun was.

You're not thick or anything, there wasn't any indication that could definitively pinpoint Hakkan was Belial.

Your followers will note how suspicious it is for Hakkan to be able to video call you every now and then, but they're very vague about it, with the notable exception of the Enchantress pointing out that Hakkan was avoiding your question, but even that means nothing.

For a game that sports terrible stereotype villainy writing, there was nothing that indicated Hakkan was Belial... I only guessed Hakkan was Belial because I wanted it to be true.

I wanted to smack Hakkan the minute I saw him.
Reply Quote

Gentleman of leisure seems a good option; you wine & dine with the ladies while society respects you for having money - and behind the scenes you also control the power base as well!

I can't understand being powerful and going for beggar or street vendor kind of disguise; there is a big crowd of well-to-do people (businessmen, politicians, socialites etc.) that you can hide in without discomfort.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]