Diablo® III

What we MEAN when we say D3 is TOO hard...

Inferno is for the hardcore that enjoy banging their head up against walls. I'm currently stuck farming in Act 1 as it sounds like you are as well. Not gonna lie, it is getting a bit boring but I knew that is what I was getting before I even started. You conveniently left out raiding in your WoW comparisons. Raiding in WoW is like Inferno in Diablo. Not a lot of people are going to do it due to the shear time requirements and difficulty. They added it specifically because Diablo 2 was a joke. Fun yes, but extraordinarily easy. And we complained about it. If you enjoy Diablo 2 then as you stated you can run up thru Hell difficulty. While the drops are lower, you do have a chance for level 61 & 62 gear to drop.

Of course Diablo 3 is not hard either just tedious.
1 Undead Mage
I think the game should have been hard but not in the way of gearchecks late into the game. I believe they should have made high damage missile/enemy attacks/enemy spells but all should have been avoidable with some practice (IE: You should be able to avoid it easily before hitting the 50 hour mark). Things shouldn't be impossible to dodge in this type of game. Just that single mechanic, not being able to dodge, causes the games only true form of difficulty to be gear checks.
MVP
View profile
What a well thought-out, constructive post.

I don't agree with all points that you've brought up. Despite that I can't ignore that you've illustrated your opinion very wonderfully. Thanks for this.
Edited by Practical#1393 on 7/1/2012 9:13 PM PDT
80 Human Paladin
If it was there intent to drive people away from playing certain classes they succeeded. I haven't touched my wizard since 1.0.3, luckily I had a monk at 60 to fall back on.

Kinda sucks when a game makes you not want to play the original class you rolled.

Yup. I have a barb, rolled a DH to 60. I can clear Act2 with the barb, but only by playing him with such worm wussy tactics that they would make my old D2 barb turn over in his grave. The point here, is not whether you CAN do it or not. The point here is whether you can do it the way you want to - hack and slash style.
If it was there intent to drive people away from playing certain classes they succeeded. I haven't touched my wizard since 1.0.3, luckily I had a monk at 60 to fall back on.

Kinda sucks when a game makes you not want to play the original class you rolled.

I just beat Inferno Diablo on my Wiz :) I had a monk tank with me though :P

btw my gear is worth about 1mill or less :P
80 Human Paladin
What a well thought-out, constructive post.

I don't agree with all points that you've brought up. Despite that I can't ignore that you've illustrated your opinion very wonderfully. Thanks for this.

Thank you, Sir! I spent a lot of time crafting it. I was fed up. I have been spending most of the time on these forums. What does THAT tell you? I WANT to play this game. I WANT to love this game, believe me. There was no other game I wanted to play. Alas, like I said, I feel I got less than the game I wanted. That being said, its a great game, definitely worth the 60 bucks. Just no way it will have the staying power that D2 did with its current layout (for me anyways).

Or, to use another analogy: Diablo 2 was like that dual leech uber ring that made you walk and stand proud. Diablo3 is like the sack full of crappy yellows you vendor for gold.
MVP
View profile
07/01/2012 09:17 PMPosted by Themaceguy
Thank you, Sir! I spent a lot of time crafting it. I was fed up. I have been spending most of the time on these forums. What does THAT tell you? I WANT to play this game. I WANT to love this game, believe me. There was no other game I wanted to play. Alas, like I said, I feel I got less than the game I wanted. That being said, its a great game, definitely worth the 60 bucks. Just no way it will have the staying power that D2 did with its current layout (for me anyways).

I understand the way you feel (or at the very least, comprehend it). A lot of people on the forums seem to share the same perspective.

What I wanted to say is that your post is how a constructive post should generally look like. You've brought up good points, while being an adult and eloquent about it. The quality of this post is top notch. Once again, is is a prime example of how expressing your feelings but doing so in a constructive manner looks like.
Edited by Practical#1393 on 7/1/2012 9:21 PM PDT
I agree with everything said. Blizzard will not though because they have every aspect of this game funneling towards making money off of the RMAH.
It's too hard... to make a quick buck.
Good post. It does a decent job of explaining why the gameplay in D2 felt so different from that in D3 and why difficulty can be a bad thing. Personally I think the attempt to make inferno "super difficult" accounts for a lot of the problems in the game, such as the pitifully low number of viable builds in the endgame.

Your post doesn't really touch on the "cheap" nature of elites as a kind of difficulty though, where some monsters simply seem to have a magic "I kill you" button, though, but then that issue has been mentioned in tons of threads already.

One thing I explained in another thread was that I think grind is a kind of difficulty in itself, so it has to be balanced out with the actual difficulty of the enemies you're grinding on. If the grind is short and drop rates are good, then it's okay to have extremely difficult enemies, because players will rise to the challenge and do whatever they had to do to beat it, knowing they would be well rewarded for their efforts. On the other hand, if the grind is long and drop rates are poor, then the grind should be easy, so that players can get into that zen-like grind state.

But if you make the grind long and tedious and at the same time make it "difficuilt", the gameplay becomes tedious and frustrating, and gaming becomes a chore.
07/01/2012 09:09 PMPosted by Nightbringer
Inferno is for the hardcore that enjoy banging their head up against walls.

In difficulty, yes. And if it was just another, crazy difficulty, that would be fine. The problem is that it's also a place with new, very relevant rewards. If inferno just gave you an achievement? Whatever. That's fine. Make it ridiculous. When it's the place to get any loot worth much of anything? Not okay.
I think people are not realising the fact that this game is not hard.

Diablo 3 is not hard. To this day, i have not found 1 affix that i havent been able to beat, yes i might have to die alot but that is just the strategy.

The game doesnt involve any skill, it does involve good gear, good ping and a cookie cutter build.

Simply its like playing a game of tag against the NPC. Dont get hit and you win.

Boss fights have no strategy, there's no need for team play and organization, its simply a matter of dishing out as much dps as you can without getting hit(for ranged) and spamming buttons for melee and hoping you have enough dps to not hit the enrage timer.

This game is tedious, not hard.
80 Human Paladin
One thing I explained in another thread was that I think grind is a kind of difficulty in itself, so it has to be balanced out with the actual difficulty of the enemies you're grinding on. If the grind is short and drop rates are good, then it's okay to have extremely difficult enemies, because players will rise to the challenge and do whatever they had to do to beat it, knowing they would be well rewarded for their efforts. On the other hand, if the grind is long and drop rates are poor, then the grind should be easy, so that players can get into that zen-like grind state.

But if you make the grind long and tedious and at the same time make it "difficuilt", the gameplay becomes tedious and frustrating, and gaming becomes a chore.

Yes, these are true statements. But in the end, I think the 'reason to keep playing' should not be to 'beat the game' but rather to explore it out or to 'kill with more gore' etc. . Maybe by getting some weird items that let you do odd builds, maybe just by trying other things. When a game is hard in this way, it gets mini-maxed quickly and everyone flocks to Google to figure out what to do. Before you know it, everyone looks the same, does the same thing and the game loses that one magic thing that every RPG should have: The feeling you can do something unique with your character and still succeed. Diversity is the cure, but in inferno it seems to be treated as the enemy.
80 Human Paladin
OP. You are wrong. Yes D3 is hard, but not your "time-suck-hard"

Many other games were hard, but they let you have fun, think, challenging, etc.
But the reason why D3 "hard" sucks so much is because you have NO control of your characters anymore when facing mobs with affixes like jail, vortex, wall, etc......

These are crap you cant avoid and make you LOSE control of your character, make it not fun, and thus hard. I dont mind hard, but i want control of my character.

In all other games that is super hard, at least you have control of your toon, D3 doesnt.
This is why D3 suck so much.

I disagree, of course with saying its not a timesuck! :-p However, I do see the points you are making and agree they have validity. They do seem kinda lazy, in the same way i can be lazy and make your food hot by pouring tabasco sauce on it.
Good read!
07/01/2012 09:42 PMPosted by Themaceguy
They do seem kinda lazy, in the same way i can be lazy and make your food hot by pouring tabasco sauce on it.

Haha =)
07/01/2012 08:42 PMPosted by Themaceguy
This is the kind of hard Diablo 2 specialized in. What I mean to say by this, is the game only got hard when you tried to kill too much too fast.

This was not my experience on my Javazon. The denser the enemies, the more Lightning Furies I'd get off per click, due to pierce. I'd typically blast through screenfuls of cows in the first couple seconds of encountering them, then leave the last few alive because it would take longer to kill the last 2 than it did the first 30.

Aside from enrages, I'm pretty happy with the challenge level of Diablo 3. Diablo 2 was too easy.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]