Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

90 Blood Elf Paladin

So if you bought a liter of cola from KFC and used an incorrect drinking utensil... would you expect the manager to come out and remove your beverage from your possession? Hmmm....

It just seems slightly ridiculous for any company to take that kind of a stance. You don't believe you are being a little over the top about that?

~ Prex

If I had to share that drink with millions of other users who were using a straw and I showed up with a ladle, I would expect it.

Really, because I doubt the millions of other soda drinkers give the slightest !@#$ that you're one of the weird minority who drink their soda with a ladle, because it doesn't affect their soda experience.
85 Tauren Druid

The printer analogy is non sequitor. You are comparing something written to drive hardware to something written to support software. You do not know what you are talking about.

Wine is written to drive hardware. It's the same thing as a printer emulator or a terminal emulator.

Wine is using a common language (the api) with a different implementation.

tn3270 is using a common language (the 3270 terminal language) with a different implementation

hp-gl emulators use a common language (hp-gl) with a different implementation (often conversion to postscript, but that will be vendor defined.

Being a library doesn't make it special. The distinction between implementation and emulation (in these sorts of contexts) is nonexistent. They are both.
Edited by mescyn#1807 on 7/2/2012 8:19 PM PDT
Aaaaaaand that's it. Final straw and all that.
Not going to be buying any more games from Blizzard.

I can't believe I waited a decade for this game...
90 Blood Elf Priest
As WoW vets will tell you, this isn't the first time Blizzard's anti-cheating software has false positive'd Wine. They reversed it last time it happened, they'll reverse it this time. Customer service just doesn't have the knowledge or authority necessary to do anything other than give you the "get !@#$ed, you're still banned" line.

The printer analogy is non sequitor. You are comparing something written to drive hardware to something written to support software. You do not know what you are talking about.

Wine is written to drive hardware. It's the same thing as a printer emulator or a terminal emulator.

What? No it doesn't. WINE has absolutely nothing to do with hardware.
90 Human Death Knight
Blizzard, this is the first time you made me use this. ಠ_ಠ

You F***ed up. You ban linux users because they needed WINE in order to play. I had huge respect for Blizzard Entertainment, now you're pulling s*** that I expect from EA.

This is absolutely unacceptable and wrong, you people need to make this right.
[quote]
Gnu/Linux, in this context, is another type of computer

Wrong. GNU+Linux is not any type of computer. It is software not hardware. You do not know what you are talking about.
100 Worgen Hunter
Jeeze Blizz! If you're reading this, please don't let this stand.
85 Tauren Druid
[quote]
Gnu/Linux, in this context, is another type of computer

Wrong. GNU+Linux is not any type of computer. It is software not hardware. You do not know what you are talking about.

Computer is a combo of hardware, firmware, and software. Changing any of the three means you are talking about something different. The distinction you are trying to draw basically does not affect the definition of the word emulation.

Look at the history of the word, and how it has evolved over time.
This is quite the conundrum. Hope everything works out on your's and Blizzard's end.
90 Human Rogue
watch out Blizzard. this made front page on Reddit. thousands of neckbeards shall shout at the heavens and shake the very foundations of this here internets!!!!
View profile
Well, the list just keeps growing of reasons why not to get this game. If I had seen this at launch, I wouldn't of bought the game period. I usually switch between Linux and Windows because I can, and try games out on both OS's. I have never been banned while playing games in Wine, and Blizzard should know by now Wine exists.

If they mis-banned people in WoW for playing on Wine, then that same mistake shouldn't of been made here. Somehow, I doubt it wasn't intentional, and I wouldn't expect to be unbanned :/ but who knows.
07/02/2012 08:24 PMPosted by Quærterchub
watch out Blizzard. this made front page on Reddit. thousands of neckbeards shall shout at the heavens and shake the very foundations of this here internets!!!!

Boy... this sure escalated quickly.
I haven't played D3 on WINE in quite a few weeks now. I pretty much only play it with my loved ones for S&G anyway. Haven't even logged in since the banning debacle. D3 was very mediocre and completely forgettable as a game.
blizz respond plz
85 Tauren Druid

Ah, okay. Seems like it's a pretty grey area to me.

It's a gray area because the word has changed from what it was originally intended to mean. Originally, emulation specifically referred to hardware + firmware designed to (quickly) provide backwards compatibility. It distinguished itself from simulation by hardware support.

Now, it just means anything designed to run something else. It's literally that vague. In recent years, it often refers to cpu emulation (or more correctly: cpu simulation), but even that depends on the context in which you make use of it.

In certain fields, it doesn't refer to cpu simulation at all. It's far more useful if you say cpu simulation if you mean cpu simulation and virtualization if you mean virtualization (which, ironically, is basically what emulation originally meant -- at least, if you assume vt-x supported virtualization), para-virtualization if you mean that, and so forth. Emulation itself has no value as a term, since it can apply to pretty much anything.
Edited by mescyn#1807 on 7/2/2012 8:28 PM PDT
didn't someone add some fruit flavoring to linux and branded it OSX awhile back? :D
07/02/2012 08:24 PMPosted by Quærterchub

Neckbeard Tyrael will fall from the heavens upon Blizzard to defend GNU+Linux justice!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]