Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

85 Tauren Druid
07/02/2012 08:27 PMPosted by Psyclum
didn't someone add some fruit flavoring to linux and branded it OSX awhile back? :D

OS X is using xnu which is mach and freebsd. No penguins inside.

Ironically, I believe xnu is a recursive acronym for xnu's not unix, but os x is sus certified from leopard on.
Edited by mescyn#1807 on 7/2/2012 8:33 PM PDT
What's funny is that I'm 100% sure they use Linux for their server.
85 Undead Priest
Agreed, i am a linux fan myself. if my motherboard liked it, i would be running it as well. But for some reason its even having a problem running the 64 bit version of windows -.-
but anyways. i would seriously recommend giving back the players accounts before this gets stormed. its gonna start happening VERY quickly, and very painfully.
View profile
07/02/2012 08:28 PMPosted by Midgar3110

Linux takes some skill and knowledge to work around, and since Diablo III still has some weird server errors... chances are Blizzard is using Windows Server :p
07/02/2012 08:17 PMPosted by Suzushiiro
As WoW vets will tell you, this isn't the first time Blizzard's anti-cheating software has false positive'd Wine. They reversed it last time it happened, they'll reverse it this time. Customer service just doesn't have the knowledge or authority necessary to do anything other than give you the "get !@#$ed, you're still banned" line.

I hope you are right. I just tested D3 under Linux about an hour ago just to see how the performance was. I don't generally game under Linux anymore but when I'm working on my WoW mods (MoP just activated mods) I do all my programming under Linux. So I figured "why not give D3 a spin". Wish I saw this ahead of time.

Linux is not cheating and doesn't make it easier to cheat either. So I believe they'll reverse the decision like they did when they accidentally banned WoW players early on.
Fix this guys account, this is about as acceptable as slavery.
This has happened before with WoW. Pretty sure they learned their lesson and know what they are doing...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Users-Get-Unbanned-From-World-of-Warcraft-Servers-40790.shtml
07/02/2012 08:27 PMPosted by Psyclum
didn't someone add some fruit flavoring to linux and branded it OSX awhile back? :D

Mac OS X is partly FreeBSD code. Its kernel and core components have evolutionary history from that. Linux is copyleft licensed and probably would have entanglements Apple would want to avoid. BSD has a free license that doesn't require return of source. Jobs quite cleverly decided to staple on some NeXT GUI support to that to get what we now recognize as Mac OS. The only thing really shared between Mac OS and Linux are some GNU programs.
You guys should get a bot program that works in Windows instead of Linux...
View profile
This has happened before with WoW. Pretty sure they learned their lesson and know what they are doing...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Users-Get-Unbanned-From-World-of-Warcraft-Servers-40790.shtml

By that logic though, you would think such an issue wouldn't happen again, unless Blizzard intentionally wanted it to happen....
100 Blood Elf Paladin
I feel so bad for you Linux users having to deal with the onslaught of more than retarded trolls on this thread.

There is no reason a person should get banned for using Wine.
If this thread reaches the page cap without a blue response (I've been writing them on twitter too) I will just keep remaking until this issue is resolved.
Get a refund. Seriously its one of the most BLAH games ever. I feel for linux players who want to play. Just get a refund. Then play torchlight 2 when it comes out. Since I don't think they will be handing out any bans ;)
07/02/2012 08:30 PMPosted by Espionage724

Linux takes some skill and knowledge to work around, and since Diablo III still has some weird server errors... chances are Blizzard is using Windows Server :p

Then they are part of the small percentage that uses Windows for their server.
I love this game, but... wow. This is awful, hopefully we get a response and our penguin friends can get unbans.
It's stuff like this that is making me lose respect for blizzard as a company. Every few days people post about the abysmal service they've been getting from Blizzard as part of D3. This is just absurd, what's happened to this company?
90 Orc Shaman
I feel so bad for you Linux users having to deal with the onslaught of more than retarded trolls on this thread.

There is no reason a person should get banned for using Wine.

This actually happened during the early days of WOW. Warden misdetected Cedega as botting software. Blizzard unbanned the affected accounts with an apology and gave them some free game time.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]