Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

07/02/2012 08:33 PMPosted by Zoul
Get a refund. Seriously its one of the most BLAH games ever. I feel for linux players who want to play. Just get a refund. Then play torchlight 2 when it comes out. Since I don't think they will be handing out any bans ;)

They refuse to issue refunds for Linux bans.
85 Tauren Druid

Mac OS X is partly FreeBSD code. Its kernel and core components have evolutionary history from that. Linux is copyleft licensed and probably would have entanglements Apple would want to avoid. BSD has a free license that doesn't require return of source. Jobs quite cleverly decided to staple on some NeXT GUI support to that to get what we now recognize as Mac OS. The only thing really shared between Mac OS and Linux are some GNU programs.

I wish it was freebsd under the hood. However, it is some ugly mutant child of too much mach and not enough freebsd. The old nextstations (never used a cube, I assume that was the same) did something similar, although just using bsd unix instead of specifically freebsd.
There should be leniancy and a level headed approach before the ban hammer hits you in the skull. This is too heavy handed.

I have never ever been so upset about anything in my entire life!
You do know that WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator, right? It's an application layer, dumbass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)
90 Orc Shaman
07/02/2012 08:30 PMPosted by Espionage724
What's funny is that I'm 100% sure they use Linux for their server.

Linux takes some skill and knowledge to work around, and since Diablo III still has some weird server errors... chances are Blizzard is using Windows Server :p

Not a chance. There is NO way they could get the uptime and performance they do if they used a Microsoft environment. Microsoft environments are bloody awful...if Blizzard was indeed using that we would have multi hour downtimes EVERY day. And I'm not just talking about maintenance/patch days. And FAR FAR more lag than there is.
This is #1 on the front page of reddit. Wow.
This has happened before with WoW. Pretty sure they learned their lesson and know what they are doing...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Linux-Users-Get-Unbanned-From-World-of-Warcraft-Servers-40790.shtml

By that logic though, you would think such an issue wouldn't happen again, unless Blizzard intentionally wanted it to happen....

Or the people that were banned aren't being entirely truthful. But that would never happen on the internet...
SC2 Linux + Wine user checking in.

Please fix this Blizzard.
85 Dwarf Rogue
I'm sorry but this is what you deserve for buying in to an online-only game like that. Their developers want you to play on their terms only. You are required to have fun *exactly* how they want you to. It's like this in WoW. Welcome to a nerfed version of WoW, friends.
Linux isn't supported. I looked up sys req and mac and windows only. How do you expect ANY support for something unsupported? Why would you play thru linux when it says clearly you need windows or mac software??

Linux users aren't asking for technical support. They're not saying they're having a problem running the game itself, it's not some issue with incompatibility. "not supported" means you can't call their tech support for problems with technical issues.

This is completely !@#$ing different. This is blizz BANNING USERS, arbitrarily, because their warden has a glitch. It's no easier to hack or cheat using linux than it is for windows. In fact, I've seen botting software for sale, and it's all windows based. This isn't a problem with the users' computers, it's a problem with blizz's servers.

If there are no refunds given for this, there WILL be a class action lawsuit as a result. Nowhere in the EULA or TOS does it say you can't use an unsupported computer. It's like, if your video card wasn't powerful enough, so the game sorta lags. You're allowed to play like that, but you can't call blizz to complain it's running too slowly. It's an unsupported system, and they'll tell you to get a better video card. On the other hand, if they banned you for using too cheap a video card, that would be illegal for blizz to do. Do you see what the issue is?
85 Worgen Druid
This isn't acceptable. Anyone who says otherwise, is wrong. End of story, good day to you.
85 Night Elf Druid
Makes me wonder how they could make the same mistake twice. You'd think they'd learn.

Would, actually the real question should be, shouldn't this warden not have the same Wine exemptions implemented?
I'd assume they would use the skeleton of the WoW one and just modify the insides to be specified to D3?
85 Dwarf Rogue
07/02/2012 08:36 PMPosted by Mogrigg

Linux takes some skill and knowledge to work around, and since Diablo III still has some weird server errors... chances are Blizzard is using Windows Server :p

Not a chance. There is NO way they could get the uptime and performance they do if they used a Microsoft environment. Microsoft environments are bloody awful...if Blizzard was indeed using that we would have multi hour downtimes EVERY day. And I'm not just talking about maintenance/patch days. And FAR FAR more lag than there is.

You must not work in the field. It's trivial to maintain high up-time with any OS now-a-days. It's possible YOU don't know how, but the rest of the world? Yeah... they do.
this is despicable. the users deserve refunds.
07/02/2012 08:35 PMPosted by Jarrex
Get a refund. Seriously its one of the most BLAH games ever. I feel for linux players who want to play. Just get a refund. Then play torchlight 2 when it comes out. Since I don't think they will be handing out any bans ;)

They refuse to issue refunds for Linux bans.

Report it to your credit card. Defective product. If the terms of service are as of stated that you will not get banned for using linux. It at the very least will go to arbitration with the credit card company.

I once has a gas powered scooter I couldn't return that had a leaking gas tank. They said I couldn't return it because I rode it, but they never sent me the new gas tank. I eventually disputed it. They then talked to my credit card company and finally agreed to do the return.
85 Tauren Druid
Makes me wonder how they could make the same mistake twice. You'd think they'd learn.

More interesting is it seems to suggest that warden shares very little code cross-platform, unless this is strictly a 64 bit problem, and the only reason it doesn't happen on other products is that d3 is using a more recent revision of the warden infrastructure (certainly plausable), and as soon as this is pushed out to wow and sc2, they will have similar problems.
Maybe they figured you saved enough on the OS that you could afford to buy d3 again.
07/02/2012 08:39 PMPosted by Carpin

Exactly. I'm betting it was intentional, which sucks... but nothing is official till Blizzard says something, but who knows when that'll be, if ever
07/02/2012 08:38 PMPosted by pseudolobstr
Linux isn't supported. I looked up sys req and mac and windows only. How do you expect ANY support for something unsupported? Why would you play thru linux when it says clearly you need windows or mac software??

Linux users aren't asking for technical support. They're not saying they're having a problem running the game itself, it's not some issue with incompatibility. "not supported" means you can't call their tech support for problems with technical issues.

This is completely !@#$ing different. This is blizz BANNING USERS, arbitrarily, because their warden has a glitch. It's no easier to hack or cheat using linux than it is for windows. In fact, I've seen botting software for sale, and it's all windows based. This isn't a problem with the users' computers, it's a problem with blizz's servers.

If there are no refunds given for this, there WILL be a class action lawsuit as a result. Nowhere in the EULA or TOS does it say you can't use an unsupported computer. It's like, if your video card wasn't powerful enough, so the game sorta lags. You're allowed to play like that, but you can't call blizz to complain it's running too slowly. It's an unsupported system, and they'll tell you to get a better video card. On the other hand, if they banned you for using too cheap a video card, that would be illegal for blizz to do. Do you see what the issue is?

Nicely said. I like the bit about the video card, I feel that's a good comparison.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]