Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

85 Tauren Druid
If the terms of service are as of stated that you will not get banned for using linux. It at the very least will go to arbitration with the credit card company.

Blizzard may terminate this Agreement at any time for any reason or no reason. Upon termination, all licenses granted herein shall immediately terminate and you must promptly remove the Game from your hard drive.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Strange.

Back in vanilla, WoW had a same problem -- their "anti-cheat detection" routine, Warden, would trip if WoW was run under WINE, subsequently, WoW players using WINE got banned.

Blizzard apologized and unbanned all affected users.

I would be really surprised if Blizzard does not do the same.
82 Undead Rogue
Bashiok's response is on page 20. I put my pitchfork away.
Edited by Yert#1732 on 7/3/2012 1:15 AM PDT
The problem is that Wine most likely modifies the game's binary to make it work and this is being detected as hacking. They would likely have to make a special exception to allow modification when it's under Wine but 2 problems:

1) They don't support Wine so why would they make special code for it to work on Wine?
2) If they allow code mods under Wine then botters would just run under Wine and sneak in their disallowed mods.

Anyway, do we have any users here who are using Wine without problems? If so, then maybe the ones who banned were showing suspicious behavior in addition to running on Wine.
85 Tauren Druid
07/02/2012 08:46 PMPosted by Tsukasa
The real problem is that Linux has a bad reputation among many of the more reputable gaming communities, this comes from the bad old CS days when Linux was the choice OS for hackers and cheaters, even today Linux is the choice tool for hackers - I wouldn't be surprised if Warden is detecting Linux and automatically assuming - hacker = ban immediately =P

That's fine. If they decided to change policy, they should announce it, because that has not been their policy in prior games. Indeed, it was briefly their policy in wow (in 2006), and they reversed it.

Then your policy is the opposite of what it was for prior products, that's something you'll generally want to explicitly mention. Bans are a poor way to enforce this policy, especially given that warden (at least, the versions wow and sc2 uses) have explicit wine detection, and do different checks if they find it -- they can just refuse to run under wine, with a message that says wine is neither supported nor allowed in diablo 3.
Please keep "thumbs up"ing the original post so a blue will actually respond to this ridiculousness.
85 Tauren Druid
07/02/2012 08:48 PMPosted by CraftyStar
The problem is that Wine most likely modifies the game's binary to make it work and this is being detected as hacking.

It doesn't, actually. There's no reason to.
85 Orc Shaman
There is a very simple solution to this. Programmers who loves Linux here please hack D3 under Wine, so Blizzard will have to make the choice of either provide a native client or ban everyone. Seeing this scale of discussion I feel they will piss off a lot of good and loyal gamers off if they choose to ban all Linux users.

I am a Linux user.
90 Human Warrior
Strange.

Back in vanilla, WoW had a same problem -- their "anti-cheat detection" routine, Warden, would trip if WoW was run under WINE, subsequently, WoW players using WINE got banned.

Blizzard apologized and unbanned all affected users.

I would be really surprised if Blizzard does not do the same.

I agree.

What it does sound like is that the D3 devs got lazy and used an old implementation of the security suite used for Wow/SC2 and bolted on to their new software.

All the things that are happening - hacks, login issues, dodgy netcode, linux bans - are all pretty much happening on the same timeline as the same issues that happened in WoW. 7 years ago.
If this doesn't get fixed asap Blizzard will soon be sh!tting bricks hard time. PR Hardcore Inferno style.
07/02/2012 08:45 PMPosted by MrPopinjay

Linux users aren't asking for technical support. They're not saying they're having a problem running the game itself, it's not some issue with incompatibility. "not supported" means you can't call their tech support for problems with technical issues.

This is completely !@#$ing different. This is blizz BANNING USERS, arbitrarily, because their warden has a glitch. It's no easier to hack or cheat using linux than it is for windows. In fact, I've seen botting software for sale, and it's all windows based. This isn't a problem with the users' computers, it's a problem with blizz's servers.

If there are no refunds given for this, there WILL be a class action lawsuit as a result. Nowhere in the EULA or TOS does it say you can't use an unsupported computer. It's like, if your video card wasn't powerful enough, so the game sorta lags. You're allowed to play like that, but you can't call blizz to complain it's running too slowly. It's an unsupported system, and they'll tell you to get a better video card. On the other hand, if they banned you for using too cheap a video card, that would be illegal for blizz to do. Do you see what the issue is?

Nicely said. I like the bit about the video card, I feel that's a good comparison.

No it wasnt. Anyone thats not new to gaming knows that certain cards/drivers have been used by gamers to obtain an unfair advantage over other gamers (for example, being able to wall hack without having to use anything other than the drivers settings).

Perhaps there is a legitimate reason and you are all now, wrongly, upset that you were banned from using an unsupported OS. His statement regarding unsupported wasnt even correct to begin with. You say linux users arnt asking for blizzard to support linux? Really? This is what I read:

"I'm upset because blizzard did not support warden on linux/whine."

You're asking blizzard to develop for linux/whine, when its not supported. Whose fault is it again for being banned?
BUMP - THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED BY BLIZZARD NOW! Bloody unacceptable.
85 Tauren Paladin
Blizzard... your dev rep is tanking hard.
I'm pretty impressed. For quite some time, I've had a personal blacklist of game vendors that I will *never* purchase from again: EA and Games for Windows Live.

Congratz, blizzard. You've made it to this incredibly short list! Barring some amazing butt-kissing on your part, and a complete reversal of this crap, you'll never see money from me again.

I've been a diehard blizzard fan since the first Warcraft (hell, since Lost Vikings). I'm done.

Oh, and an edit for all these people crying "its unsupported, your fault":
Unsupported does NOT mean unallowed. Many video cards are unsupported. There is a very simple workaround to getting many of them to work. Will people with unsupported video cards be banned next? WiNE is an implementation of the Windows API. It is not a hack or crack or illegal patch.
Edited by psy#1323 on 7/2/2012 9:00 PM PDT
85 Tauren Druid

"I'm upset because blizzard did not support warden on linux/whine."

You're asking blizzard to develop for linux/whine, when its not supported. Whose fault is it again for being banned?

They're not. They're asking for the anti-cheating software not to ban linux users just because they use linux, just like it did in wow (post-2006) and sc2.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]