Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

No it wasnt. Anyone thats not new to gaming knows that certain cards/drivers have been used by gamers to obtain an unfair advantage over other gamers (for example, being able to wall hack without having to use anything other than the drivers settings).

So you think that because some cards can be used to cheat all cards not on the list should be banned?

Surely just banning cheaters would be a much better solution...?
Really, Blizzard?? While I do not play D3 on a Linux machine, I use it quite often. Yet this game's release has been a Customer Service nightmare for you, and you have no one to blame but yourselves.

First, you enable always online draconian DRM. I sucked it up, purchased the game anyway because I love what you guys do.

First week I get the game I can't even play due to server issues. I was frustrated but shrugged it off with my excitement to enjoy the new content. By the time I finally played the game, it just couldn't hold my interest past the halfway point - the story, the gameplay - they're OK, but nothing to write home to mom about.

I'm a Linux user and I understand where these guys are coming from. Why?? You're better than this blizzard. Either give these guys their accounts back and let them play, or refund them.
Edited by IceSt0rm#1527 on 7/2/2012 9:02 PM PDT
Had to weigh in here.

You knowingly are using an operating system that is unsupported. I don't care if Mac OSX uses a Linux kernel. Don't make that argument. Its still a damn Mac.

With that being said, if you're running Linux, you're clearly not new to computers or OS's. Sack up buttercups, get a copy of Windows 7 and dual boot.

/thread
90 Human Death Knight
One of Blizzard's major selling points is they support both Macs and Windows PCs in order to reach gamers of all markets. Ironic, this.
View profile
Banning Linux users clearly has priority over people using AH Bots...
86 Human Paladin
This has probably been said already, but what about all of those people playing WoW in Linux for years (me)? Will I be considered a cheater, too?
Perhaps there is a legitimate reason and you are all now, wrongly, upset that you were banned from using an unsupported OS. His statement regarding unsupported wasnt even correct to begin with. You say linux users arnt asking for blizzard to support linux? Really? This is what I read:

"I'm upset because blizzard did not support warden on linux/whine."

You're asking blizzard to develop for linux/whine, when its not supported. Whose fault is it again for being banned?

Okay, well they also don't support my keyboard. It's a cheap piece of crap I got for $10. If I had a problem with my keyboard, I couldn't call blizz for support. That's what they mean by "unsupported".

Now, if they BANNED me because my keyboard was too crappy, if they refused to refund my money back for the software I paid for, because they didn't like my keyboard, even though my keyboard isn't being used for hacking or cheating, that'd be a completely different thing altogether. Don't you agree? Or, would you say "it's your own damn fault for knowingly using an unsupported keyboard, what'd you expect you loser?"
Edited by pseudolobstr#1896 on 7/2/2012 9:05 PM PDT
90 Human Paladin
I really wish Blizzard would give in and make a Linux version of WOW, SC2, and D3. Then when Valve releases a Steam Client for Linux I wont have to upgrade to Windows 8....I could switch over to Linux.

If I had to share that drink with millions of other users who were using a straw and I showed up with a ladle, I would expect it.

Really, because I doubt the millions of other soda drinkers give the slightest !@#$ that you're one of the weird minority who drink their soda with a ladle, because it doesn't affect their soda experience.

No the other soda drinkers wouldn't care, you are correct in that matter. I was referring to the company making it a point to take their product back from you. When you purchase a product, as long as you're not doing anything illegal with said product, you should not have the product revoked. I agree if I were drinking a soda with a ladle, I wouldn't expect other soda drinkers to care, and I wouldn't care about them either.

If I wanted to drink with a ladle so be it.... do you think the company should add that they will revoke the drink if the purchaser uses a ladle with their product? Now this is just getting a little silly, albeit pretty damn funny. :D

Edit: Yeah I responded to the wrong guy... totally not sober for this atm lol. Sorry in advance!

~ Prex
Edited by Prexus#1812 on 7/2/2012 9:13 PM PDT
Blizzard you hit a new low every day. Congratulations!

Was it not for Reddit I wouldn't even be on this site. What Blizzard has become is a shell of a company and is declining rapidly.
This is terrible Blizzard! A man should be free to drink from a ladle!
keep the money blizzard and put it to dev fixes!

easy money baby, easy money

The fact that you are replying to everyone telling them how superior you are just like you've done in your other 20000 posts suggests you are in need of a hug.

Perhaps a history lesson would clear the cobwebs out for you. Warden did the same thing back in the beginning of WoW and all the bans were reversed. Linux is unsupported but it is not a method to cheat. I'd like to know your reasoning on why they unbanned it.
Why didn't I get banned?
90 Human Paladin
no blue response for a thread of this caliber? simply amazing...
The problem is that Wine most likely modifies the game's binary to make it work and this is being detected as hacking. They would likely have to make a special exception to allow modification when it's under Wine but 2 problems:

Wine doesn't modify any Diablo files whatsoever. It does however, use unsigned windows DLL files. There's nothing in the game itself that's modified, but if you were to compare Wine's version of comctl.dll with that of windows, there'd be a file size difference. Again, this isn't modifying the game itself, but running it in a different environment. I can totally see why their warden might consider this suspicious. That makes sense. What doesn't make sense from a PR standpoint is outright telling these people, no, you're !@#$ed, you can't have your money back, and you can't play the game you paid for.

1) They don't support Wine so why would they make special code for it to work on Wine?

They don't support it as in they don't provide technical support for questions about running the game in Wine. Don't support means, don't call us about it, we can't help you with any problems you might have.

They had this problem with WOW 6 years ago, but they made an exception because they realized these users aren't actually doing anything wrong, not cheating, not modifying any game files, it was their warden making a mistake.

2) If they allow code mods under Wine then botters would just run under Wine and sneak in their disallowed mods.

All the Windows botters are getting away with it just fine. Wine is no easier to code for than windows. It's not necessarily easier to code a bot for linux than it is for windows. Again, no Diablo files are being modified in any way.
Edited by pseudolobstr#1896 on 7/2/2012 9:12 PM PDT

"I'm upset because blizzard did not support warden on linux/whine."

You're asking blizzard to develop for linux/whine, when its not supported. Whose fault is it again for being banned?

They're not. They're asking for the anti-cheating software not to ban linux users just because they use linux, just like it did in wow (post-2006) and sc2.

So either their anit-cheating software needs to support linux or ignore linux users completely (ie unsupported). Yeah thatd make sense, why dont we just not have cheat detection on linux cpes's.

Really, because I doubt the millions of other soda drinkers give the slightest !@#$ that you're one of the weird minority who drink their soda with a ladle, because it doesn't affect their soda experience.

No the other soda drinkers wouldn't care, you are correct in that matter. I was referring to the company making it a point to take their product back from you. When you purchase a product, as long as you're not doing anything illegal with said product, you should not have the product revoked. I agree if I were drinking a soda with a ladle, I wouldn't expect other soda drinkers to care, and I wouldn't care about them either.

If I wanted to drink with a ladle so be it.... do you think the company should add that they will revoke the drink if the purchaser uses a ladle with their product? Now this is just getting a little silly, albeit pretty damn funny. :D

~ Prex

Why would others care what utensil you use ? The point was that the owner would have to now accommodate (support) the ladle user.
No Blizzard response after 14+ pages of comments.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]