Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

Blizzard: We need an official response on this.

Every post that goes into this thread without a blue response is a hit to your goodwill. In case you haven't realized, your goodwill is already at an all-time low currently thanks to your draconian 3-day waiting period and botched launch of the RMAH.

Blizzard, you cannot continue to coast through issues like this without commenting. You are already traveling down the dangerous path trod by EA and you could easily end up in the same boat if you don't step up your customer service in these forums.

Blizzard, ADDRESS THIS ISSUE. Provide an explanation of why the accounts will not be unbanned. Do not quote your terms of service; we've all seen and agreed to them. Provide an actual human explanation or risk losing most of the commentators in this thread and angering the pro-active, outspoken and growing Linux population of the world.

No the other soda drinkers wouldn't care, you are correct in that matter. I was referring to the company making it a point to take their product back from you. When you purchase a product, as long as you're not doing anything illegal with said product, you should not have the product revoked. I agree if I were drinking a soda with a ladle, I wouldn't expect other soda drinkers to care, and I wouldn't care about them either.

If I wanted to drink with a ladle so be it.... do you think the company should add that they will revoke the drink if the purchaser uses a ladle with their product? Now this is just getting a little silly, albeit pretty damn funny. :D

~ Prex

Why would others care what utensil you use ? The point was that the owner would have to now accommodate (support) the ladle user.

That's what we were just saying... others wouldn't care what utensil I used. True the owner would have to accommodate... and definitely doesn't have to. But is it fair that the owner took back their product with no refund after you purchased it from them?

Show me something in the EULA or TOS that says that you will be banned with no refund for running on linux... then I wouldn't feel so bad for the players that this has happened to. Yet I doubt you would find said information.

~ Prex
Edited by Prexus#1812 on 7/2/2012 9:18 PM PDT
Blizzard's actions are as ridiculous as the posts of players stating using Wine on Linux is for cheating purposes.
15 pages no dev post... pathetic
07/02/2012 09:09 PMPosted by Amerika
no blue response for a thread of this caliber? simply amazing...

Front page of Reddit, SC2's Destiny is talking about it on his live-stream... still no Blue =/
Judging by the last email sent, it sounds like they did a review of the ban and they are saying it was not because of Linux.
[quote]

Why would others care what utensil you use ? The point was that the owner would have to now accommodate (support) the ladle user.

No they wouldn't. There's is a middle ground between banning and supporting, which is just letting it fly but offering not support for when you spill soda all down your shirt while sipping from this ladle.
How is Blizzard still around with all the !@#$ they pull these days?
07/02/2012 09:13 PMPosted by Nidust
No Blizzard response after 14+ pages of comments.

Linux users banned for using WINE, they are nerfing absolutely eveything.
Sad, sad times
The irony of all of this is that Blizzard's Database servers use a form of Linux/Unix OS.
90 Human Paladin
So since the general conciseness of this thread is "Its not supported blizzard shouldn't care". Does that mean Blizzard doesn't care about the users who are using the 64 bit client of the game as well? Its in the same category as Wine....its not supported. If you crash using either of those then you shouldn't call supported because all they will say is "Does it do it using supported software?? no?? then we don't see the problem"

They should of built in a little Linux support into their games so things like this doesn't happen. They don't need to fully support it, but they need to prevent accidentally banning users.
90 Dwarf Paladin
This is absurd. Blizzard should unban or issue a refund.
Linux community is one thing... This is the top post on Reddit right now... They are looking at losing maybe upwards of a million customers out of the hate they are generating. Hear that Blizzard? You're looking at losing maybe 25% or more of your installed customer base over this idiocy. Bye bye.
89 Draenei Priest
This is ridiculous.. I hope that it's simply a case of false positives.. I've been playing (and paying) WoW/SC2 and now D3 in Wine for ages without any issues whatsoever. Sort this out please Bliz.

That's what we were just saying... other wouldn't care what utensil I used. True the owner would have to accommodate... he doesn't have to if they don't want to. But is it fair that the owner took back their product with no refund after you purchased it from them?

Yes of course, because the ladle could be used to steal from the fountain machine. An unintended consequence of using a ladle, which may not be practiced by ALL ladle users, but exploited by some.

The store owner now has to take this into consideration (develop) or not allow it at all (ban). He's not going to give you a refund on something you've already used and cant return to begin with (time spent gaming).
Pretty much if there isn't a blue response to this in the next hour I'm never paying for a Blizzard related product again. And I'm playing on Windows.
Had to weigh in here.

You knowingly are using an operating system that is unsupported. I don't care if Mac OSX uses a Linux kernel. Don't make that argument. Its still a damn Mac.

With that being said, if you're running Linux, you're clearly not new to computers or OS's. Sack up buttercups, get a copy of Windows 7 and dual boot.

/thread

That still doesn't explain the no refund. He wasn't upset that Linux wasn't supported per se... but the fact there is nothing to show for his 60 dollars.... I don't recall anyone mentioning playing on Linux being something you could be banned for. And some people were mentioning never having problems before with blizzard games. Why the change of heart? I think a refund is due at the least.

~ Prex
Edited by Prexus#1812 on 7/2/2012 9:23 PM PDT
07/02/2012 09:17 PMPosted by Jarrex
no blue response for a thread of this caliber? simply amazing...

Front page of Reddit, SC2's Destiny is talking about it on his live-stream... still no Blue =/

What did Destiny say about it?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]