Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

90 Undead Priest
So... here's what I don't get.

OSX/Windows are the supported operating systems.

Using WINE on a Linux build is an unsupported operating system.

Now, a lot of the idiots in this thread are saying they could use it to cheat, that they should be banned, that they should use a supported OS.

All the WINE users are saying that they are fine with it being unsupported, but other Blizzard games work and this one is banning them.

All of the !@#$%ing back and forth, name calling, trolling, and whatever rage fueled discourse is completely irrelevant to me because of the following:

Someone here made a reference to another thread that points out it's a memory hiccup with D3 in WINE flagging Warden to ban the account. This is what we would call a 'bug'. These people got banned as a result of a bug with the Warden extension that came as a direct result of playing on an unsupported platform.

Unsupported platform means they flat out told you from the start that they weren't going to help you with bugs or issues, so why are people getting pissed and up in arms about the fact that they aren't helping with a bug issue?

What am I missing here?
If you buy an after market exhaust for your car and modify your car to work with it, should the developer be able to stop your exhaust from functioning so long as you aren't breaking any rules of the road with it?

Now, a lot of the idiots in this thread are saying they could use it to cheat, that they should be banned, that they should use a supported OS.

All the WINE users are saying that they are fine with it being unsupported, but other Blizzard games work and this one is banning them.

All of the !@#$%ing back and forth, name calling, trolling, and whatever rage fueled discourse is completely irrelevant to me because of the following:

Someone here made a reference to another thread that points out it's a memory hiccup with D3 in WINE flagging Warden to ban the account. This is what we would call a 'bug'. These people got banned as a result of a bug with the Warden extension that came as a direct result of playing on an unsupported platform.

Unsupported platform means they flat out told you from the start that they weren't going to help you with bugs or issues, so why are people getting pissed and up in arms about the fact that they aren't helping with a bug issue?

What am I missing here?

You arnt missing anything.
I feel bad for any Linux user who has to go through this. Blizzard, you are just FULL of bad customer relations lately, aren't you? Terrible PR as of late. Awful.

DO IT! DO IT! It has worked before, see RealID fiasco a bit back. Just vote with your money. Real easy.

You can't vote with your money if you already bought the game. That's why blizzard have no problem banning whoever they like. They just don't care.
07/02/2012 01:57 PMPosted by Chili
So linux is not supported, you go ahead and play using linux, you get banned, you act surprised?

So, this guy speaks the truth and gets downvoted, if Linux isnt supported, dont play on it.

What am I missing here?

A false positive is not "support". That'd be like Blizzard banning your account for using 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB.
07/02/2012 09:42 PMPosted by SynthDark
If it is possible for WINE to be used as a malicious hack of some sort, then I can understand their reasoning.

It's just as possible as Windows being used as a malicious hack, so I guess they should ban that too just to be sure.
WINE just lets you run windows programs under Linux.

It would be easier to "hack" Diablo 3 on a windows PC than to try and do it through WINE.

Think of it like lying. You're gonna be a lot better liar in your own language than trying to do it through a translator.
This thread is at the top of /r/gaming right now... http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/vyc4z/linux_users_permanently_banned_from_diablo_iii/
07/02/2012 09:48 PMPosted by DrFarnsworth
This thread is at the top of /r/gaming right now... http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/vyc4z/linux_users_permanently_banned_from_diablo_iii/

It's actually on the front page now, I missed out on all that sweet sweet karma :(
100 Draenei Priest
07/02/2012 09:48 PMPosted by DrFarnsworth

It's at the top of /r/all as well..

*edit: second >.>
Edited by Slacker#1869 on 7/2/2012 9:50 PM PDT
85 Human Priest
07/02/2012 09:43 PMPosted by AnalBumCover
If you buy an after market exhaust for your car and modify your car to work with it, should the developer be able to stop your exhaust from functioning so long as you aren't breaking any rules of the road with it?

Depends on your ECU and whether you got permission to flash it and get it certified as road worthy. In this case I guess WINE was not certified as roadworthy.

To note though if I had it my way, I wouldn't go banning customers on their choice of operating system. You dont see them banning people using unsupported video cards :P
85 Goblin Hunter
07/02/2012 09:43 PMPosted by AnalBumCover

You don't own the car though.
D3 is a slap in the face to the Diablo franchise. 10 years in development and this is the result?

Your mothers would be ashamed.

Blizzard, I know you can do better. Listen to players like Kripp, he knows what he is saying. Jay take note.
I for one will not be purchasing any more Blizzard products if this does not get fixed. Linux is fast growing in popularity. The way I see it, Blizzard just shot themselves in the foot.
Blizzard, I'm a former Arena Master in WoW, played it from early Vanilla off and on till Cata, spent countless hours in D2, beat D3 inferno weeks after release, and have generally been a huge supporter of you as a company.

I was not among those banned, but I am a serious supporter of GNU/Linux and Open Source Software.

If you do not reverse these bans, not only will I never never give another dollar to Activision/Blizzard, I will actively compel my friends to do the same as well as campaign online to insure your profits are lowered by as much as one person can possibly hope to lower them. This is not a threat, this is just to make you aware that GNU/Linux users, like myself, are generally quite activist and also very savvy online.

Treating this segment of your user base with such malice will engender significant fiduciary harm to you and your shareholders. Please, do the right thing and treat GNU/Linux users with respect so that myself and others like me can continue to support your otherwise great company.

Thanks for considering this.

What am I missing here?

Okay, so here's the thing. Lots of things aren't supported. If your computer is on fire, blizzard is not going to support you. If you have too many icons on your desktop and you can't find the diablo icon, that's not supported. If your keyboard is a piece of crap and occasionally keys get stuck, that's not supported either.

That means, if you call blizz with any of these issues, they're not going to support you, they're going to say get your !@#$ together because it's not our fault.

NOW, let's say, your crappy keyboard has a stuck key, and it's sending a hundred keypresses a second. Blizzard doesn't support your keyboard, and they can't fix it for you, so if you call them and say my toon keeps casting a spell because my 1 key is stuck, they'll tell you to GFY.

OKAY, now here's where it's a problem, and this goes beyond support here, this is a blizzard issue, it's blizzard's fault, and blizzard should fix it:

LET'S SAY your keyboard is spamming the 1 key a hundred times a second and blizz decides this is bot behavior. It'd be pretty easy for blizz to look at the logs and say "Hey, this guy's not a bot at all, he's just got a %^-*ty keyboard". Is it right for blizz to ban your account and refuse a refund because of a bug on their end? Just because they don't support your keyboard, does that mean they should be allowed to take away the game you paid for, permanently, because BLIZZARD MADE A MISTAKE?

This isn't linux users asking for technical support, saying the game is running slow or the graphics are glitchy, this isn't a support issue at all in any way, this is a bug in blizzard's warden program, accusing people of cheating, just because they use a configuration that's out of the ordinary. My keyboard really does suck, and if blizz bans me for it some day, I'm going to be super pissed. I'm not going to call them to complain I keep spamming a spell, but if they were to revoke my ability to play the game and refuse to issue a refund because I was using an "unsupported keyboard" I'd be really choked about that. That's what you're missing.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]