Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

07/02/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Grace
Everybody in this thread needs to chill out, this is the first time these guys have made a video game before as you can tell from the incredibly poor quality of nearly every element of the game, give them 10-12 years and they will get things fixed they promise.

The refusal to unban is just the ridiculous part. I am fine with bugs/whatever in a cheat detection, just fix it.
85 Human Priest
07/02/2012 09:52 PMPosted by Lussier
If you buy an after market exhaust for your car and modify your car to work with it, should the developer be able to stop your exhaust from functioning so long as you aren't breaking any rules of the road with it?

You don't own the car though.

You do own the license to operate the vechile however, following certain guidelines.
I am going to come clean... I am running Windows 8 developer preview/consumer preview... I guess I am going to be next to be banned...

I sympathize with the Linux users... banning them is akin to banning Windows users using an "unauthorized" graphics card driver... (eg ATI/Nvidia releases a Beta driver that gives 30% more FPS across the board... and you get banned for using that...)
I'm glad you posted this, because I was going to ask what happens when we start running Windows 8 Beta. According to:
http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-system-requirements
D3 requires "Windows 7". If they can permanently ban an account running D3 on a PC under a Windows emulator, it doesn't look so good for early adopters of Windows 8.
Edited by BlueBunny196#1508 on 7/2/2012 9:59 PM PDT

You can't vote with your money if you already bought the game. That's why blizzard have no problem banning whoever they like. They just don't care.

They are hurting their image. Expansions and future games count on them doing the right thing as many times as humanly possible.

I know if I were to get banned for playing under Linux I wouldn't buy another Blizzard game. And I have been a loyal customer of all Blizzard games since WarCraft I.

Mistakes happen and I have no doubt this will be reversed. I do wish the Diablo team shared their code base with the WoW team where possible because it is having a decent impact on the game. Not using LUA, not allowing mods, having an absolutely horrible chat interface, and now their anti-cheat system ... I feel bad for the PR department.
This is some bull!@#$. I don't even try to run it under wine but I had planned on doing so. Not now, because some stupid crap that blizzard cannot work out with open source. "OPEN SOURCE??? WTF BAN THEM!!"
90 Undead Priest

A false positive is not "support". That'd be like Blizzard banning your account for using 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB.

Actually, them working to resolve this issue would be "Support". For a platform they have already told you will not be supported.

This is the direct result of a bug with D3/Warden on WINE. It is a !@#$ty, horrible bug that really sucks for people it happened to, but it is still a bug. It is also a bug on an unsupported platform, which they have no defined reason to provide support for.

They essentially told you the setup was unsupported because they didn't want to muck about with it. They told you if you got it to work, great, but if you got some bugs they weren't going to help you. Now you have a bug that caused your account to get banned, and you want them to fix it.

From their point of view, the only reason they will help you at this point is to avoid further negative PR, not because you are right.
Yeah just waiting for them to pop up ye old vmware is also cheating. BAN.
This makes me glad I quit over a month ago. I'd be pretty upset if the account I didn't refund got banned like this instead of my eventual fate of being banned due to forum Tom-foolery.

On a happier note, the Path of Exile beta is running beautifully under the 1.5.4 wine that was patched for D3.

A false positive is not "support". That'd be like Blizzard banning your account for using 1GB of RAM instead of 2GB.

Actually, them working to resolve this issue would be "Support". For a platform they have already told you will not be supported.

This is the direct result of a bug with D3/Warden on WINE. It is a !@#$ty, horrible bug that really sucks for people it happened to, but it is still a bug. It is also a bug on an unsupported platform, which they have no defined reason to provide support for.

They essentially told you the setup was unsupported because they didn't want to muck about with it. They told you if you got it to work, great, but if you got some bugs they weren't going to help you. Now you have a bug that caused your account to get banned, and you want them to fix it.

From their point of view, the only reason they will help you at this point is to avoid further negative PR, not because you are right.

Then *STATE* that Linux will get your account banned. That makes no sense. You can't just sell someone a car saying "Modding will void your warranty" and then throw the person in jail for changing the engine. That's backwards logic.
I cannot believe the blizzard defense force in this thread, this community may be more worse than a moba community.

I don't know where to start, the first three pages are users telling TC "you're running an unsupported os, got banned and you're acting surprised?"

Really?
So... here's what I don't get.

OSX/Windows are the supported operating systems.

Using WINE on a Linux build is an unsupported operating system.

Now, a lot of the idiots in this thread are saying they could use it to cheat, that they should be banned, that they should use a supported OS.

All the WINE users are saying that they are fine with it being unsupported, but other Blizzard games work and this one is banning them.

All of the !@#$%ing back and forth, name calling, trolling, and whatever rage fueled discourse is completely irrelevant to me because of the following:

Someone here made a reference to another thread that points out it's a memory hiccup with D3 in WINE flagging Warden to ban the account. This is what we would call a 'bug'. These people got banned as a result of a bug with the Warden extension that came as a direct result of playing on an unsupported platform.

Unsupported platform means they flat out told you from the start that they weren't going to help you with bugs or issues, so why are people getting pissed and up in arms about the fact that they aren't helping with a bug issue?

What am I missing here?

Okay, so here's the thing. Lots of things aren't supported. If your computer is on fire, blizzard is not going to support you. If you have too many icons on your desktop and you can't find the diablo icon, that's not supported. If your keyboard is a piece of crap and occasionally keys get stuck, that's not supported either.

That means, if you call blizz with any of these issues, they're not going to support you, they're going to say get your !@#$ together because it's not our fault.

NOW, let's say, your crappy keyboard has a stuck key, and it's sending a hundred keypresses a second. Blizzard doesn't support your keyboard, and they can't fix it for you, so if you call them and say my toon keeps casting a spell because my 1 key is stuck, they'll tell you to GFY.

OKAY, now here's where it's a problem, and this goes beyond support here, this is a blizzard issue, it's blizzard's fault, and blizzard should fix it:

LET'S SAY your keyboard is spamming the 1 key a hundred times a second and blizz decides this is bot behavior. It'd be pretty easy for blizz to look at the logs and say "Hey, this guy's not a bot at all, he's just got a %^-*ty keyboard". Is it right for blizz to ban your account and refuse a refund because of a bug on their end? Just because they don't support your keyboard, does that mean they should be allowed to take away the game you paid for, permanently, because BLIZZARD MADE A MISTAKE?

This isn't linux users asking for technical support, saying the game is running slow or the graphics are glitchy, this isn't a support issue at all in any way, this is a bug in blizzard's warden program, accusing people of cheating, just because they use a configuration that's out of the ordinary. My keyboard really does suck, and if blizz bans me for it some day, I'm going to be super pissed. I'm not going to call them to complain I keep spamming a spell, but if they were to revoke my ability to play the game and refuse to issue a refund because I was using an "unsupported keyboard" I'd be really choked about that. That's what you're missing.

As well written as this is, technically it's still a false analogy.

If you were using an unsupported game input device (say, a gamepad designed for a physical impairment), and this caused Warden to flag your account, you'd be in the same boat.

You'd have just as strong a case, but you'd still technically be in the wrong. I do still think that Blizzard will rectify this, and rescind bans issued where the users can prove it is due to WINE. But (ahah) whining won't help.
People have no idea what half of you are talking about and the other half can't figure out how their own computer work ... you're expecting too much from people.

I learned something early on in when playing around with computer and unsupported software... run it at your own risk because quite frankly support is abysmal for anything not mainstream and you will get no sympathy from 90% of the internet .
ya i got banned for spamming even though i hadnt played in weeks... emails grew more progressive from blizzard... Blizzard has shot themselves in the foot with this game... ah well if this is the calibur of games they are doing now im okay with never purchasing from them again.
Edited by thalion88#1179 on 7/2/2012 10:09 PM PDT
85 Tauren Druid

Then *STATE* that Linux will get your account banned. That makes no sense. You can't just sell someone a car saying "Modding will void your warranty" and then throw the person in jail for changing the engine. That's backwards logic.

Legally, they can (they can ban you for any reason at all, as spelled out in the d3 eula). However, a reasonable approach would be to disclose if policies have changed relative to other blizzard products in relation to using d3 under wine.
You guys want some cheese to go with your WINE?
People using an "unsupported" way to log in to the game should not be banned forever. That's just stupid.
[quote]
Unsupported platform means they flat out told you from the start that they weren't going to help you with bugs or issues, so why are people getting pissed and up in arms about the fact that they aren't helping with a bug issue?

What am I missing here?

This. In spite of the support legalese, the GNU+Linux players usually end up getting what they want from Blizzard. I would wager the same will be true here.
There is absolutely no way I will buy another Blizzard game if this isn't resolved for everyone it happened to, and an apology isn't issued. I play on Windows, but I'm also a Linux user for everything other than gaming. This is unforgivable.

Legally, they can (they can ban you for any reason at all, as spelled out in the d3 eula). However, a reasonable approach would be to disclose if policies have changed relative to other blizzard products in relation to using d3 under wine.

I agree, it is technically legal. But from a customer standpoint it's a jerk move.
first blizzard is stealing money through diablo, then they ban everyone who is just using an os... yet i have 6 friends that has been and still is botting since release. thank god i quit this terrible trashy game
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]