Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

sounds like you guys got jay wilson'd
90 Undead Priest
[quote]
Then *STATE* that Linux will get your account banned. That makes no sense. You can't just sell someone a car saying "Modding will void your warranty" and then throw the person in jail for changing the engine. That's backwards logic.

They aren't banning people for using Linux. People are getting banned because of a false positive due to a bug with D3 working in WINE.

The thing is, it's a bug on an unsupported platform that caused the ban. They have no reason to look into it at that point, because they told you from the start they weren't going to provide support for bugs from an unsupported system.

I think I should really stop posting here before all this "You're just defending Blizzard" trashtalk starts getting thrown my way. In my defense in regards to that, I have been referring to this game as a massive cluster!@#$ since right after launch.

There is so much %^-* they need to fix in this game and it is beyond broken and tainted by so many things, that this Linux/WINE issue just seems stupid to me. Your account got banned because of a bug from an unsupported system... of course they aren't going to provide support for it, that's the definition of 'unsupported'.
[quote]
Then *STATE* that Linux will get your account banned. That makes no sense. You can't just sell someone a car saying "Modding will void your warranty" and then throw the person in jail for changing the engine. That's backwards logic.

They aren't banning people for using Linux. People are getting banned because of a false positive due to a bug with D3 working in WINE.

The thing is, it's a bug on an unsupported platform that caused the ban. They have no reason to look into it at that point, because they told you from the start they weren't going to provide support for bugs from an unsupported system.

I think I should really stop posting here before all this "You're just defending Blizzard" trashtalk starts getting thrown my way. In my defense in regards to that, I have been referring to this game as a massive cluster!@#$ since right after launch.

There is so much %^-* they need to fix in this game and it is beyond broken and tainted by so many things, that this Linux/WINE issue just seems stupid to me. Your account got banned because of a bug from an unsupported system... of course they aren't going to provide support for it, that's the definition of 'unsupported'.

Windows 8 also isn't "Supported" should I be banned for playing on that too?
That's just really sad...
And still not a single explaining post from the Blizzard staff. If I had one, I'd cancel my WoW subscription right now and put it on hold until this is resolved.

If they don't want people running it in Wine, they can tell them to switch, or at least give them a refund and unban their accounts, but this behaviour is absolutely intolerable
07/02/2012 10:08 PMPosted by dirtyjoe
You guys want some cheese to go with your WINE?

Cheese would be a fantastic name for a WINE centric tool or extension! Maybe, I'll write it if I think of an application.
by william on Saturday June 23rd 2012, 16:19
Salutations William!

Thank you for contacting us. An additional review of the action taken against the Diablo III account on not_really_real@emailaddress.com has been completed. We have confirmed our initial findings, and the account action will not be reversed or changed.

Actions are based on the violation's severity and take previous violations into consideration. This action was taken in accordance with the Terms of Use (us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/) and our Diablo III Policies (us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-policies), which all players acknowledge and agree to before logging into the game.

We understand that these policies may seem harsh, but they are in place to ensure that every player is able to enjoy their time in Diablo III. Thank you for respecting our position.

I like how they tell what you did wrong so can at least know if it was you, or if you got hacked...

If you're not in the US, you may have a right to know the exact circumstances... I'd look into it.
If you didn't break the ToS, sue them. Class action lawsuit for you and the others that were banned, GG, end of discussion.
85 Tauren Druid

They have ample reasons to look into false positives in their anti-cheating tools.

1: Misreportings of one type can easily lead to misreportings of another type. Finding and removing false positives (assuming it's not intentional) before supported users encounter them is just good business.

2: Assuming there's a shared infrastructure between warden on different games, then they may have reasons to make changes to help linux users since there's certainly some linux users who are paying monthly for wow. I don't know how many, but given what is known about warden, I can bet blizzard knows down to the user how many people always play on linux, never play on linux, and sometimes play on linux.

It doesn't mean you're entitled to this, of course. I personally have no problem with blizzard saying wine is not allowed in d3, I just have a problem with them changing policy from their different games without explicit notification. Not claiming it's something they legally can't do, I read eulas, I'm aware of what they can do -- I'm just talking about it from the point of view of a customer.
85 Tauren Druid
07/02/2012 10:16 PMPosted by JohnRedcorn
If you didn't break the ToS, sue them. Class action lawsuit for you and the others that were banned, GG, end of discussion.

How do you overcome the eula which specifically says they can terminate your right to play for any reason?

As well written as this is, technically it's still a false analogy.

If you were using an unsupported game input device (say, a gamepad designed for a physical impairment), and this caused Warden to flag your account, you'd be in the same boat.

You'd have just as strong a case, but you'd still technically be in the wrong. I do still think that Blizzard will rectify this, and rescind bans issued where the users can prove it is due to WINE. But (ahah) whining won't help.

Well, I respectfully disagree. I think that's a perfectly apt analogy. The bug lies in blizzard's warden program, not in the user's computer. Unless you can prove the user was using WINE to cheat, blizz is in the wrong here. I think in cases like these, where it can't be proved the user was intentionally violating the TOS and blizz is at fault, blizz should be culpable, admit to their mistakes, and either unban the accounts or refund the purchase price.

I guess strictly from a legal standpoint, the way it's written in the contract, you're probably right. The EULA has a clause saying blizz can revoke your account for any time for any reason whatsoever. It's up to the courts to decide if that's enforceable or not.

I'd like to thank you for your well thought-out reply. I still think though, in your analogy, if someone was using an unsupported input device, morally, if not necessarily legally, blizz would be in the wrong.
2 threads on the forums (one 19 pages one almost 30 pages), front page of reddit, multiple online new sources already reporting on it including kotaku (and while their reporting sucks they get massive traffic), and not a single blue letter in here. wow blizzard, just wow
Edited by wtfhax#1973 on 7/2/2012 10:20 PM PDT
Wait, seriously? Is this really happening? Say it ain't so, Blizzard. This is so not cool. :-(
Small claims court guys. Bring your explanations to a small claims judge. No attorney needed. Plaintiffs are favored most of the time if the problem isn't obviously ludicrous. Get your money back and then some for the headache. Once one person sets the precedence, others can follow suit and Blizzard will a) get their collective heads out of their collective lazy asses or b) start making the fans they have offended able to afford a proper supported OS at cost.

Just an idea. And before you go knocking it, try doing a bit of reading on the subject. Also if you're under the age of 18 you'll need a guardian to file a suit (since the computer you're playing on probably belongs to them).
90 Undead Priest

It isn't like Warden is handing out bans just because the person is running the unsupported OS. I think you are missing the point completely. It is because of a technical bug with that OS. They have no reason to provide support for that. They told you if you got it working fine, but they also told you if it had an issue they weren't going to fix it for you.

Now, if they decide to unban all these people (which they likely will to avoid the hate train which is currently running off the tracks), they actually have to tweak and fix Warden to prevent this issue from just banning the players again. Meaning you are complaining to force them to provide support for the OS they told you from the start was unsupported.
Edited by cervantes429#1366 on 7/2/2012 10:23 PM PDT

It isn't like Warden is handing out bans just because the person is running the unsupported OS. I think you are missing the point completely. It is because of a technical bug with that OS. They have no reason to provide support for that. They told you if you got it working fine, but they also told you if it had an issue they weren't going to fix it for you.

Now, if they decide to unban all these people (which they likely will to avoid the hate train which is currently running off the tracks), they actually have to tweak and fix Warden to prevent this issue from just banning the players again. Meaning you are complaining to force them to provide support for the OS they told you from the start was unsupported.

I'm not missing the point at all. Assume Win8 operates *slightly* differently from Win7 and does something which causes Warden to think that Win8 users are cheating. Win8 is technically not supported which means that the bans are justified?
This is, plainly and simply, atrocious. Sure, Linux is unsupported, but enough players are using it with the best of intentions that if Blizzard cared about their customers in the least, they would resolve this issue ASAP.

Personally I got bored of the damned game in 10 hours and would have asked for a refund had I bought directly from Blizzard rather than Best Buy. I do play on Windows, and am glad that if I had still being playing I wouldn't have been banned, but Linux and WINE are commonplace enough that anyone would recognize they are not a cheating setup.
Edited by Kyuugatsu#1248 on 7/3/2012 7:48 AM PDT
90 Undead Priest

The bug lies in blizzard's warden program, not in the user's computer.

The bug lies in the interaction between blizzard's warden program and an API emulator running on an unsupported OS on the user's computer.

The bug in the warden program only exists for the unsupported OS, that's why they have no defined reason to provide support for it.
Edited by cervantes429#1366 on 7/2/2012 10:26 PM PDT
07/02/2012 10:22 PMPosted by Ungiggity
Now, if they decide to unban all these people (which they likely will to avoid the hate train which is currently running off the tracks), they actually have to tweak and fix Warden to prevent this issue from just banning the players again. Meaning you are complaining to force them to provide support for the OS they told you from the start was unsupported

you act like this is something that shouldn't happen. if their playerbase cares enough about Linux/Wine support then they should change their policy and offer some kind of support for it. just saying "bawww we're too lazy to whtelist Wine" isn't an excuse to alienate a few hundred players in a game that's been losing players since launch day.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]