Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

85 Human Mage
Um... Blizzard, fix this. Really like who does this.

The bug lies in blizzard's warden program, not in the user's computer.

The bug lies in the interaction between blizzard's warden program and an API emulator running on an unsupported OS on the user's computer.

The bug in the warden program only exists for the unsupported OS, that's why they have no defined reason to provide support for it.

I'd argue that unless they actually want to ban linux users this is a bug. Entertainly we may get a situation where there is no D3 support for linux but we get some Warden WINE support ;)
Hi, i just wanted to let the Diablo 3 team that I'm severely disappointed with this game. I would like my money back.
85 Tauren Druid
07/02/2012 10:27 PMPosted by Nynphadora

How do you overcome the eula which specifically says they can terminate your right to play for any reason?

Guys lets me teach you a nice lesson:

ToS and EULA < The Law.

It's tort law. There's not any other applicable relevant law.

They let you not agree to the eula for 30 days after purchase.

They let you know which platforms are supported.
90 Undead Priest

I'm not missing the point at all. Assume Win8 operates *slightly* differently from Win7 and does something which causes Warden to think that Win8 users are cheating. Win8 is technically not supported which means that the bans are justified?

They may not seem fair, but they have no reason to provide support to fix a bug in their software that only happens on an unsupported OS, so yes.

Everyone seems to think this is just them being *!!!heads, but it seems more likely they didn't support the OS in the first place because they didn't want to have to code for it and fix issues with it.
Blizzard, please explain how the hell using Linux is in any way remotely considered 'cheating. Oh wait, you can't, because it's not, and you just won't admit your anti-cheating solution screwed up and don't want to fix it.

Seriously, you literally have no legitimate reason to be banning Linux users. Not a single one. And yet here you are, banning them for the HEINOUS crime of not using Windows or Mac OS.

You could have just undone the bans, apologized for the inconvenience, and told them that Linux isn't officially supported so they shouldn't expect any support. But instead you just sh!t all over your paying customers who prefer not to use Windows or Mac OS over Warden getting false positives. Way to go, guys.

The game alone burned a lot of bridges, and now your uncharacteristically EA/Bioware-esque behavior towards your customers is burning a lot more. Respect between is you and your customers is a precious thing, and it's abundantly clear the 'new' Blizzard just doesn't get that.

I've already sworn off buying another Blizzard title after the disappointment of D3, and I'm sure this latest insult to your customers will turn off a lot more. Sadly, the majority of your player base lack those kind of principles and will keep rewarding you for awful behavior like this.

Windows 8 also isn't "Supported" should I be banned for playing on that too?

It isn't like Warden is handing out bans just because the person is running the unsupported OS. I think you are missing the point completely. It is because of a technical bug with that OS. They have no reason to provide support for that. They told you if you got it working fine, but they also told you if it had an issue they weren't going to fix it for you.

Now, if they decide to unban all these people (which they likely will to avoid the hate train which is currently running off the tracks), they actually have to tweak and fix Warden to prevent this issue from just banning the players again. Meaning you are complaining to force them to provide support for the OS they told you from the start was unsupported.

They may not seem fair, but they have no reason to provide support to fix a bug in their software that only happens on an unsupported OS, so yes.

Everyone seems to think this is just them being *!!!heads, but it seems more likely they didn't support the OS in the first place because they didn't want to have to code for it and fix issues with it.

It would be sheer idiocy to not support an OS with even the slightest bit of the market behind it.
It would pay for itself in no time with WoW.

Actually, it is exactly like that.
As the difference between windows 7 and 8 is almost identical to the difference between wine and windows 7.
Edited by Shaunus#1562 on 7/2/2012 10:33 PM PDT

There's a difference between not offering support and banning users.

Guys lets me teach you a nice lesson:

ToS and EULA < The Law.

Again, supported != "not allowed"

The Lexus dealership that sold me my Honda doesn't support Hondra repairs/broken parts. However, that doesn't mean I can't drive my car.
90 Worgen Rogue
hmm my last post didn't show up but I know I am only one person but I have cancelled my WOW account. I am not going to give money to a greedy company. You would think with how many people this has hit they would have replied. Sure seems like their attitude is "hey we already got your money."

I'm not missing the point at all. Assume Win8 operates *slightly* differently from Win7 and does something which causes Warden to think that Win8 users are cheating. Win8 is technically not supported which means that the bans are justified?

That still doesn't give them an excuse to unjustly ban Linux users over a false positive they don't want to correct. I guess it's easier (and more profitable) to ban the users and make them rebuy the game if they haven't been completely disgusted with the way they were treated.
90 Undead Priest

As the difference between windows 7 and 8 is almost identical to the difference between wine and windows 7.

Which is irrelevant. WINE has a bug. WINE is not supported. You want support for a bug on an unsupported system.

If there was a bug with Windows 8, the situation would likely still be the same.
While it is not a very end-consumer friendly stance, they told you not to do it. No 3rd party software, including emulators (or get technical w/e about wine) interfering with the game.

I do feel sorry for the linux users operating wine who experienced this issue. I don't really think it's good support from blizzard to ban without chance for remediation, but it is in the eula everyone clicked through. " Blizzard may terminate this Agreement at any time for any reason or no reason." http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/legal/d3_eula.html

They suspected you of cheating or a ban worthy offense - terminated.

Diablo3 is a service -- you don't own anything. It's not like older games, which you own and can play at anytime offline.

They're not banning you for simply using wine. Something triggered its detector, and if wine hiccups and is unstable, and their detector thinks you're cheating... well... you went there on your own. Wine is not windows, albeit very useful for running windows programs on a linux machine. Wine also lists games it is known to support... diablo is not on that list, though SC2 and WoW are listed, games which players have been playing without problems. Those are listed as 'stable with proper setup', not out of the box good.

What I find most interesting and sad is that it sounds that there is no chance for remediation. If the player really wasn't cheating/hacking/etc, he can't say something goofed up, "Hey i'm not a cheater!" That seems wrong to me about this whole situation, not necessarily that someone got banned, but that there is no chance to prove innocence (.. but after all it was signed away in the eula).

Which is irrelevant. WINE has a bug. WINE is not supported. You want support for a bug on an unsupported system.

If there was a bug with Windows 8, the situation would likely still be the same.

It's not a bug in Wine, it's a bug in Warden's detection. And you and I both know that if this was Win8 it wouldn't be the same, people would be throwing chairs (assuming Windows 8 was actually popular and not in beta right now).
Also i think you misunderstand what supporting an OS means. They didn't have to make any adjutment for people to play the game on unix-based systems, Blizz's !@#$ty DRM "took back" their right to play the game because the server side thought it detected cheat. Either you bought a copy of the game or you didn't. If you did and you violate the code of conduct in a game that has real currency usage online fine, you get banned. But if you get banned because your system made them think they saw an abuse wich wasn't one, that's not fair. And the "does not support linux" argument is moot in this case because blizz didn't have to make adjustment to the game they sold for it to run on linux.
TL/DR:
"OS not supported" should never result in ban. it did. Blizzs fault. case closed.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]