Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

Community Manager
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.
The amount of stupidity in this thread is astounding--and I don't mean the OP with the Linux issue, that part is fine. I mean all of you other idiots who I'm surprised can even manage to turn on a computer to play a video game.
Gotta say, Blizzard still manages to surprise with every other !@#$ up they manage to pile onto D3.
90 Undead Priest
\It's not a bug in Wine, it's a bug in Warden's detection. And you and I both know that if this was Win8 it wouldn't be the same, people would be throwing chairs (assuming Windows 8 was actually popular and not in beta right now).

Okay, it's a bug in what Warden detects from an unsupported emulator running on an unsupported platform.

Aside from "It's unfair" and "It sucks" (which I do agree with), why should they have to provide support for that?
85 Tauren Druid

There's a difference between not offering support and banning users.

A difference to end users and cost, sure. A difference legally? Not in most states. You'd have to prove that the eula language allowing them to terminate your license for any reason whatsoever is invalid. GL with that.

There's a few possibilities, but historically they've all been long-shots.
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

I don't see why 90% of the comments in the Wine's website community would lie about their banning?

To include the original cited source: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25953

That just seems like such an odd place to state "banned for using linux" if the reality is that they all cheated? On top of this I know one.
Edited by Jarrex#1931 on 7/2/2012 10:44 PM PDT
The amount of stupidity in this thread is astounding--and I don't mean the OP with the Linux issue, that part is fine. I mean all of you other idiots who I'm surprised can even manage to turn on a computer to play a video game.
Gotta say, Blizzard still manages to surprise with every other !@#$ up they manage to pile onto D3.

So you're saying Bash/Blizz is full of crap? You're saying that they didn't do what he said?

read as "we booted up D3 on Wine and it didn't mess up that one time so everyone else is a liar"

wow blizzard. im sad i won't be able to play heart of the swarm now because you won't be seeing a single cent out of me anymore
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

I don't see why 90% of the comments in the Wine's website community would lie about their banning?

To include the original cited source: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25953

That just seems like such an odd place to state "banned for using linux" if the reality is that they all cheated? On top of this I know one.

Possibly because they were cheating!

You also said the game was tested before release. What happened there?
In Blizzard we trust, not some WINE trolls.

Possibly because they were cheating!

The person I know has never cheated on any game I've ever played with them....I mean, it's possible, just seems odd. Especially since this DID happen in WoW.
07/02/2012 10:45 PMPosted by Hatsune
In Blizzard we trust, not some WINE trolls.

If you enjoy bending over every patch then keep trusting.

Thank you! I just had a sigh of relief :)

The Linux support page is flooded with people who say otherwise?
6 Orc Warlock
07/02/2012 01:57 PMPosted by Chili
So linux is not supported, you go ahead and play using linux, you get banned, you act surprised?

not supported just means no tech support will be given.
07/02/2012 10:41 PMPosted by Ungiggity
\It's not a bug in Wine, it's a bug in Warden's detection. And you and I both know that if this was Win8 it wouldn't be the same, people would be throwing chairs (assuming Windows 8 was actually popular and not in beta right now).

Okay, it's a bug in what Warden detects from an unsupported emulator running on an unsupported platform.

Aside from "It's unfair" and "It sucks" (which I do agree with), why should they have to provide support for that?

Because a significant enough amount of people use it?
It's bad business to waste potential income.
85 Orc Death Knight
Blizzzard: If the facts are as people claim - that they're being banned SOLELY for using WINE, then this is just absurd. Give these people back their accounts.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]