Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

1 Orc Warrior
I see these bans as a good thing. They just more grist for the bliztavision hate machine's mill.
As more and more blogs come alive with the cries of the unjustly banned, then some people will be disinclined to spend money with bliztavision, so that money will then be spent with smaller developers, for the benefit of all.

People paying millions for a bad product is tragedy here. It lowers the bar on what is acceptable.

^ this.
A million times this. If they thought they were risking layoffs they wouldn't be treating their customers like !@#$.
I have a Dell Studio 1737, in which the ATi HD 3650 video card is somewhat dated. (since there is the HD 6xxx series out).

I contacted Battle.net for support due to Artifact/Glitching/Graphical issues, and I was informed 'obviously your video card is bad, or your drivers are out of date.' But in which case, I had the latest drivers for my laptop 2012.0405b, meanwhile Battle.net support tells me the latest driver is 2012.0425. After multiple attempts at updating to the latest drivers, (ATi Driver Verification tool wouldn't download any new drivers because it kept telling me I was running fully up to date. (I've even applied the ATi Hot-fixes relating to said issues, in my case nothing resolved after applying the patches)

Now, lets get back to Customer Support telling me, 'Tough cookies, your computer is broke, nothing we can do about it, update your drivers you fool'. Even after CS disregarded my initial trouble ticket with diag/reports. They nitpicked previous crashes unrelated to D3 as the root cause of the game not playing correctly. Thus, "obviously your video card is bad'.

CS ignored my points about being able to play everything else on my machine without problems (Like HF2, Portal 2, Alice, GuildWars, Combat Arms, SC2, D2, Fear, SS2, etc etc. Having never had a single problem with the rest of these games, I'm told "Obviously your problem is faulting hardware". Okay, I thought, to hell with it, I'll just uninstall all the drivers to see if I could make a last ditch effort.

Sure enough, Uninstalling all the Catalyst drivers and just going with the Microsoft's Win7 included ATi driver 2010.0625. Diablo 3 plays fine. Yup, Not a dang thing wrong now.

However I can't do any productivity work anymore because without the 'latest' drivers installed I can't run MATLAB, or other engineering software installed because I can't process some of the tasks without latest video drivers. (efficiency)

So now I'm stuck. If I update my drivers (again) I'll have a unplayable game. If I don't update, then I can continue to play D3, but I can't play my other games with the same performance I had when I have the latest drivers.

Sound to me, D3 is actually screwed up. And Customer Service is only trained to follow a script. Sure some of them are probably very intelligent people and quite able to help troubleshoot, but its like they just don't have the time to care. When I can go into nearly extreme detail as to my own process of troubleshooting issues, and narrowing down everything to just one program having issues, doesn't that say a lot about finding the faults. D3 and ATi drivers of certain machines just don't work right. Battle.net CS just closes the ticket. Today I'm still not resolved in my issue.

For now, I have to only get work done AT WORK (fine by me) but it really hampers my Telecommute opportunity. Especially when School starts I won't be able to have D3 installed on my machine due to work reasons. I'm not about to go out and buy another machine to play D3. I'm not within my 5 year turn around period yet.

CS @ Battle.net You better damn-well resolve this issue soon. If throughout all these years the only time I've needed customer support, I get nothing but the "Its your problem not ours" excuses, that's really telling of how you've changed. I really wish Linux was supported better. I'd be through with Windows entirely if it weren't for the games.
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

thank you for clearing this up.
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

I'm grateful for the response, but can you please start including reasonings for bans? As the Wine community (re: their comments) seem to disagree, and it's not just one person on the Wine for D3, it's a lot of people, with emails. It is not a place where people would just go on saying "I DIDNT CHEAT I SWEAR" to get attention. As I said, it is possible they all cheated on the Wine post, but it just seems doubtful.

Not trying to say you're lying either, but wouldn't it be possible that there is something in your testing that you missed? There was a post earlier in this thread that one of the Linux posters found to be the reasoning for Wine bannings.
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes, let's call a company a liar, when lying for them is illegal.

And let's not call random strangers on the internet liars, even though lying for them is just funny.
Blizzard Employee
I don't see why 90% of the comments in the Wine's website community would lie about their banning?

To include the original cited source:

Maybe I'm missing a larger thread, but I only see 3 people posting in the "Banned?" thread saying they were banned. Or is that accurately 90%?
Been running on 'nix (a couple of distros, and messing with many versions of wine) since release day. No ban here
90 Blood Elf Paladin
You're complaining in the wrong place if you expect this issue to be resolved.

Many are saying they were banned for "cheating" in circumstances where they were not aware of the fact they were even "cheating".
This may have something to do with how WINE runs the game and reports back to blizzards game servers. If people are being banned without knowingly breaching blizzards rules, odds are WINE needs to be fixed in some way.

They said they don't support the OS, so its not their responsibility to adjust their game to allow for how WINE communicates. WINE developers might help you, Blizzard wont.

I'd recommend any WINE users who haven't been banned yet to avoid playing on that platform until either the issue is resolved or the game has platinum rating. Otherwise you may be gambling your account each time you log.
I don't see why 90% of the comments in the Wine's website community would lie about their banning?

To include the original [url="http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25953"]cited source: [/url]

Maybe I'm missing a larger thread, but I only see 3 people posting in the "Banned?" thread saying they were banned. Or is that accurately 90%?

Alright then, if you say so. I don't use Wine nor have I ever been banned, so I'm not exactly experienced.
90 Draenei Hunter
I've been running WoW under GNU/Linux for most of my subscription time and never had any problems. I know that doesn't speak to problems with this game specifically, but I DO recall a similar issue occurring several years ago regarding false positives and WoW under Cedega (an old proprietary fork of WINE):

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Blizzard-Unbans-Linux-World-of-Warcraft-Players-40907.shtml

I wouldn't be surprised if this is precisely what has happened. History has a habit of repeating itself. But I am very curious to know just how "extensively tested" a -- *runs to check age of thread* -- 9 hour old issue could possibly be.
90 Blood Elf Death Knight

How about a real response to people who claim they got banned for using Linux? Like tell us in plain and simple language whether you would ban people for using Linux?

I'm not sure how "You will not be banned for using Linux" isn't plain and simple language.
Edited by Arkthugal#1752 on 7/2/2012 10:57 PM PDT

So you read through non diablo forums but you don't even glance out your own? makes a lot of sense and tells us a lot about you

Because people who were banned for other reasons are incapable of lying about the reason behind their ban.
i'm pretty sure if there was an issue, the WINE guys would contact blizzard
100 Draenei Priest

How about a real response to people who claim they got banned for using Linux? Like tell us in plain and simple language whether you would ban people for using Linux?

He did that in his first post in this thread.

"Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will."
Edited by Slacker#1869 on 7/2/2012 10:58 PM PDT
Self edit.
Edited by Deewayno#1890 on 7/3/2012 3:27 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]