Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

Yes, because anti-cheating software has NEVER unfairly banned people before. Nope. Never. Let me guess, you also believe 'DRM-solutions' actually deter piracy and the always-on internet connection requirement benefits the consumer?

God Blizz, remember a time when you didn't treat your fans like crap? I can tell you now, Diablo III was the last game I'll ever purchase from Activision Blizzard.
Edited by PRAFTD#1467 on 7/2/2012 11:00 PM PDT
I don't see why 90% of the comments in the Wine's website community would lie about their banning?

To include the original [url="http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=25953"]cited source: [/url]

Maybe I'm missing a larger thread, but I only see 3 people posting in the "Banned?" thread saying they were banned. Or is that accurately 90%?

Other places:
http://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/vf9ts/just_got_banned_for_unapproved_third_party/ -- also talks of WoW bannings

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/commentaires-1068.html

These are also from weeks ago. It's just odd that if the idea is to blame Wine for their cheating infractions -- not something that's ever very common.

Though, as I said, it is possible, I don't know I am not the one who is banned. Just wanted to bring some attention to it.

Sorry for the hyperbolic statistic, just very weird situation.
Edited by Jarrex#1931 on 7/2/2012 11:00 PM PDT
This OP lost all credibility when he said FreeBSD was Linux. Next time don't bot.
07/02/2012 10:58 PMPosted by LtFaceman
God Blizz, remember a time when you didn't treat your fans like crap?

This is off topic, but I'm really not sure how that's "treating their fans like crap". That sounds like some serious personal issues.
07/02/2012 10:59 PMPosted by Ryecoke
This OP lost all credibility when he said FreeBSD was Linux. Next time don't bot.

I never said that?
that's what you get for using linux
90 Human Warrior

Maybe I'm missing a larger thread, but I only see 3 people posting in the "Banned?" thread saying they were banned. Or is that accurately 90%?

So you read through non diablo forums but you don't even glance out your own? makes a lot of sense and tells us a lot about you

Are you complaining that he opened a thread cited as a "source" for multiple complaints of banning to investigate? Or are you complaining that he hasn't responded to an issue that you find important?
90 Worgen Warrior
There are points on each side which are true and correct. Blizzard does not support the game under linux, however the likely reason for the lack of a native linux client is the fact that they would then have to support the client and with the multitude of different versions they likely could not train enough support staff members to help solve the problems. It would also likely leave them in a spot that may require the posting of source code for the functions to work and that would be highly frowned upon by the management and investors.

The use of the WINE under linux should still be allowed and protected from bans. WINE implements the windows api and allows programs to be run, it's a few steps short of running linux with a virtual machine with windows. Yes I know it's not exactly the same but I can bet that running a windows VM under linux is not supported either because your base OS is still linux.

I currently run WoW on a 64bit win7 machine with a 64 bit "unsupported" client and MOP seems to have a 64 bit version included on install with windows. The number of users who have linux as a main OS is growing and eventually a client will be not only expected but needed. In the mean time I do hope that they will begin compiling clients for "unsupported" linux use much like they have with wrath and it's 64 bit version.

I am doubting that the "extensive testing" included all of the version's tweaks and setups that many users have out there that are not used to cheat. I also have to wonder if it would be worth playing under linux with a ban hammer looming over your head even if you are not cheating. There is a big reason why "beta's" are used by software developers to find problems. That reason is that many different configurations available for hardware and software can not be tested on development computers to find bugs and problems.

If the bans really are from running linux and WINE and not hacking I hope that it will be sorted out for everyone's sake. But that will likely take time and a little effort on both sides, people posting rants about it will not help anyone affected. And if more players continue to have the same problems and are able to show the source the bans should be rectified much like the wow ones previously were.
God Blizz, remember a time when you didn't treat your fans like crap?

This is off topic, but I'm really not sure how that's "treating their fans like crap". That sounds like some serious personal issues.

-Avoiding issues.
-Lying-through-the-teeth PR fluff
-Ignoring negative criticism.
-Disregarding customer claims of being unfairly banned.
-Not offering refunds to those who lost money on the RMAH
-Forcing customers to jump through hoops just to play the product they bought
-Disregarding account hacks
-Blaming customers for their faults
Edited by PRAFTD#1467 on 7/2/2012 11:05 PM PDT
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

No disrespect intended, but it has happened, and been denied before. Since there are a near infinite number of Wine configurations I suspect your testing may not have been extensive enough.

A quote from the reddit thread about this issue:

Falcker 1299 points 3 hours ago

Ok everyone calm down for just a moment, this happened once before with WoW when their Warden program mistakenly banned those using Cedega (another windows on linux program).

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Blizzard-Unbans-Linux-World-of-Warcraft-Players-40907.shtml

They eventually worked out all the isssues with the cedega devs and unbanned those wrongfully banned. This is likely the same scenario where Warden is detecting Wine incorrectly and is flagging them for bans.

Stop being so dramatic, they arent banning people for using wine this is likely just a mistake on Wardens part which will be reversed soon.
Edited by Mencae#6460 on 7/2/2012 11:03 PM PDT

in other words :
    blizzard don't care
    it's your own fault
    you will never get your account back
    go buy a supported OS
    go buy a new copy of the game
    play the game blizz way
    if you don't agree.... GTFO !!!!

Please quote where any of what you said is in his response?
Assuming Blizzard is in the wrong on this one (and I'm not in full possession of the facts, so it's not my place to cast judgement), they would do well to admit their mistake, rectify it, and move on. Denial just puts you deeper in the whole.

In any case I do think that, rather than simply referencing all of the testing they did and saying they were confident, this is an issue that's worth looking into specifically. If nothing else, just humor the people affected by this. It's worth looking into, because it's a pretty big issue.
90 Orc Hunter
Edited by Lordjobu#1148 on 7/2/2012 11:08 PM PDT
85 Goblin Mage
Wine now stand for Wine Is Not an Emulator, but this was changed from WINdows Emulator simply as a means of differentiating it from other similar unix based programs for running the API. Unfortunately, it is an emulator, although it certainly will not allow one to cheat without installing other 3rd party software. It's not like it's an N64 emulator that allows you to fast forward.
I've taken a look at some botting/hacking forums (I actually followed a link here on the forums then reported it), and it seems 100% of the botting, cheating, and hacking software is windows based. I have yet to see a single linux based bot or cheating utility.

Bashiok, is there any chance you could elaborate on the reasons for these bans? Is there a specific program or technique unique to linux these people are using (no need to name utilities, a simple yes would suffice), or is it a complete coincidence a bunch of linux users were banned simultaneously while claiming they weren't using any bots/exploits?
Community Manager

No disrespect intended, but it has happened, and been denied before. Since there are a near infinite number of Wine configurations I suspect your testing may not have been extensive enough.

A quote from the reddit thread about this issue:

Falcker 1299 points 3 hours ago

Ok everyone calm down for just a moment, this happened once before with WoW when their Warden program mistakenly banned those using Cedega (another windows on linux program).

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Blizzard-Unbans-Linux-World-of-Warcraft-Players-40907.shtml

They eventually worked out all the isssues with the cedega devs and unbanned those wrongfully banned. This is likely the same scenario where Warden is detecting Wine incorrectly and is flagging them for bans.

Stop being so dramatic, they arent banning people for using wine this is likely just a mistake on Wardens part which will be reversed soon.

Oh we remember. I was CM'ing the WoW forums when it happened. It's not a similar situation, but it's sure to be something to fuel the fire of doubt.
i have been playing in Fedora linux for 6 years

wow
starcraft
WC3
Diablo 1 ,2 & 3

Minecraft

Guild wars
Torchlight

NEver once a single issue or ban

Do not cheat and you will be fine
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]