Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

90 Undead Priest
07/02/2012 10:48 PMPosted by Shaunus

Okay, it's a bug in what Warden detects from an unsupported emulator running on an unsupported platform.

Aside from "It's unfair" and "It sucks" (which I do agree with), why should they have to provide support for that?

Because a significant enough amount of people use it?
It's bad business to waste potential income.

Just because a group of people use it doesn't mean they suddenly have to support it. I'd imagine they were fine with losing that potential income when they decided not to port it to that specifically in the first place.

"We decided to use it even though you told us you wouldn't support it, so now you have to" isn't exactly the basis of a sound argument.
35 Tauren Warrior
Hey, at least you can play in single player offline mod.. oh, wait.

Nevermind.
90 Human Warrior

Maybe I'm missing a larger thread, but I only see 3 people posting in the "Banned?" thread saying they were banned. Or is that accurately 90%?

Other places:
http://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/vf9ts/just_got_banned_for_unapproved_third_party/ -- also talks of WoW bannings

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/commentaires-1068.html

These are also from weeks ago. It's just odd that if the idea is to blame Wine for their cheating infractions -- not something that's ever very common.

Though, as I said, it is possible, I don't know I am not the one who is banned. Just wanted to bring some attention to it.

Sorry for the hyperbolic statistic, just very weird situation.

What's even stranger is that name of the one of the posters in the WINE thread is the same person that originated both of the threads you linked......

No disrespect intended, but it has happened, and been denied before. Since there are a near infinite number of Wine configurations I suspect your testing may not have been extensive enough.

A quote from the reddit thread about this issue:

Oh we remember. I was CM'ing the WoW forums when it happened. It's not a similar situation, but it's sure to be something to fuel the fire of doubt.

Your ban cycle is 30th of every month, yes? I'll just switch over to wine to add 1 more to the testing.
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will

haha so he is reading the forums and ignoring the good post
85 Tauren Warrior
It almost sounds like if you use Linux you are more apt to cheat at D3.

I'd love to know the proportion of Linux users vs. Linux users banned to Windows users vs. windows users banned.

Other places:
http://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/vf9ts/just_got_banned_for_unapproved_third_party/ -- also talks of WoW bannings

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/commentaires-1068.html

These are also from weeks ago. It's just odd that if the idea is to blame Wine for their cheating infractions -- not something that's ever very common.

Though, as I said, it is possible, I don't know I am not the one who is banned. Just wanted to bring some attention to it.

Sorry for the hyperbolic statistic, just very weird situation.

What's even stranger is that name of the one of the posters in the WINE thread is the same person that originated both of the threads you linked......

There are things called replies, quite a few of them state they are banned too. Though multiple fakes is also possible.
Community Manager
07/02/2012 11:06 PMPosted by Baneusprime

Oh, well that's helpful. So probably a more isolated situation than it may appear.
85 Blood Elf Priest
TF
I'm posting here because I saw this on Reddit.
85 Orc Shaman
So... here's what I don't get.

OSX/Windows are the supported operating systems.

Using WINE on a Linux build is an unsupported operating system.

Now, a lot of the idiots in this thread are saying they could use it to cheat, that they should be banned, that they should use a supported OS.

All the WINE users are saying that they are fine with it being unsupported, but other Blizzard games work and this one is banning them.

All of the !@#$%ing back and forth, name calling, trolling, and whatever rage fueled discourse is completely irrelevant to me because of the following:

Someone here made a reference to another thread that points out it's a memory hiccup with D3 in WINE flagging Warden to ban the account. This is what we would call a 'bug'. These people got banned as a result of a bug with the Warden extension that came as a direct result of playing on an unsupported platform.

Unsupported platform means they flat out told you from the start that they weren't going to help you with bugs or issues, so why are people getting pissed and up in arms about the fact that they aren't helping with a bug issue?

What am I missing here?

Not much. Suppose there is a bug, then what happens when you have a bug you don't want to fix? You tell people that you don't want to fix it. That is fine.

What is not fine is, by definition, banning the account only occurs when the user is gaining unfair advantage from the addition software. Apparently a bug in Warden doesn't give the user any advantage. Therefore there is no reason not to restore / refund the players.

It is fine for Blizzard to piss off all the Linux users by telling them don't play our games on Linux. It is not fine to ban their account because of Warden has a bug that couldn't decided if a user is playing unfairly.
Community Manager
07/02/2012 11:08 PMPosted by Jarrex
Your ban cycle is 30th of every month, yes? I'll just switch over to wine to add 1 more to the testing.

No, no, we're banning people all the time.
07/02/2012 11:11 PMPosted by Bashiok

No, no, we're banning people all the time.

I thought you guys acted similarly to how Valve bans players? (Flags accounts that are cheating and then actually activates the bans on a specific interval)
news story it hitting the gaming websites worldwide now

http://kotaku.com/5923068/report-blizzard-banning-diablo-iii-players-for-using-linux
07/02/2012 11:10 PMPosted by Bashiok

Oh, well that's helpful. So probably a more isolated situation than it may appear.

.. what? That's UN-possible -- that might actually make sense.
85 Orc Shaman
I agree with you. There is no reason for Blizzard to support Linux or Wine.

It is not fine though, to ban the accounts because of using Wine. It is clearly defined that an account would only be banned if the user is gaining advantage from it. In the Linux users' case, the banned accounts are clearly proven not to have gain advantage. As many people would agree this is more of a bug in Warden. Therefore it is wrong to ban these accounts.

It is fine not to support Wine. It is not fine to ban users on the wrong grounds.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]