Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

Community Manager
07/02/2012 11:12 PMPosted by Jarrex

No, no, we're banning people all the time.

I thought you guys acted similarly to how Valve bans players? (Flags accounts that are cheating and then actually activates the bans on a specific interval)

Nope! Gotta keep em' on their toes.
http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/vytrc/hate_to_break_it_to_you/

I thought you guys acted similarly to how Valve bans players? (Flags accounts that are cheating and then actually activates the bans on a specific interval)

I'm not getting the joke this time around.

Alright, then however fast the bans occur, I shall let you know.... unless I am unable to post on forums after being banned. Wine logged in and played so too late to turn back.
90 Human Warrior
Also: when did anything posted on reddit actually become taken seriously?
Community Manager
07/02/2012 11:15 PMPosted by Losty
http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/vytrc/hate_to_break_it_to_you/

Well that's helpful. Of course if more Wine users care to speak up about their experience, that could put additional minds at ease.
90 Night Elf Druid
This sort of behaviour from blizzard is completely unacceptable!!! Blizzard you have got to improve your customer service - you have really lost your way over the last five years.
100 Blood Elf Paladin

It's not really a joke. If you ban at random intervals, it keeps the cheaters unable to know when to look like they're not cheating.

Alright, then however fast the bans occur, I shall let you know.... unless I am unable to post on forums after being banned. Wine logged in and played so too late to turn back.

make sure you mess around with different configurations because it seems that only some instances of Wine are causing the bug
I agree with you. There is no reason for Blizzard to support Linux or Wine.

It is not fine though, to ban the accounts because of using Wine. It is clearly defined that an account would only be banned if the user is gaining advantage from it. In the Linux users' case, the banned accounts are clearly proven not to have gain advantage. As many people would agree this is more of a bug in Warden. Therefore it is wrong to ban these accounts.

It is fine not to support Wine. It is not fine to ban users on the wrong grounds.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that there is a bug in warden. The issue here is that with the open nature of Linux there are several things that could be causing problem be it something Linux/WINE/Warden is doing. If the people are innocent its best to do this discussion cal my so that the issue can be resolved. Flaming blizzard/Bash well not do anything to resolve the issue if there is even an issue at all.
Edited by Helais#1736 on 7/2/2012 11:20 PM PDT
OP cheated, multiple WINE users can still play
90 Worgen Warrior
07/02/2012 10:40 PMPosted by Bashiok
Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

BASH you my hero! lawl

It's not really a joke. If you ban at random intervals, it keeps the cheaters unable to know when to look like they're not cheating.

Ah, have to admit, that is not what I perceived the post as.

Went right over my head... I need sleep.
85 Orc Shaman

No disrespect intended, but it has happened, and been denied before. Since there are a near infinite number of Wine configurations I suspect your testing may not have been extensive enough.

A quote from the reddit thread about this issue:

Oh we remember. I was CM'ing the WoW forums when it happened. It's not a similar situation, but it's sure to be something to fuel the fire of doubt.

You can support Mac, why not just come up with a native Linux client? What's so hard about that?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]