Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

-Avoiding issues.
-Lying-through-the-teeth PR fluff
-Ignoring negative criticism.
-Disregarding customer claims of being unfairly banned.
-Not offering refunds to those who lost money on the RMAH
-Forcing customers to jump through hoops just to play the product they bought
-Disregarding account hacks
-Blaming customers for their faults

I have yet to see any of them lying, other than people around the forums twisting words and reading things into statements that aren't there, and then "Calling them out on it"

I'm fairly sure they haven't ignored negative criticism. They're making changes as we speak. Just because they didn't individually acknowledge every single complaint that every single player has made doesn't mean they're ignoring you.

They haven't disregarded anything. Just because someone told you "Blizz banned me, i didn't do anything wrong!!!" doesn't mean that they're telling you the truth. False positives occur from time to time, but they're the exception, not the rule. Not to mention, it's not a public matter, it's a matter between you and Blizzard, no one else.

Offering refunds to people who lost money? Are you kidding? Why would they do that? They didn't get take your money, the seller did. And, you don't get refunds from a bad stock purchase. You just lose the money. With regards to the cases of the sellers "losing money", they haven't lost anything. They just didn't get paid. Which is probably the buyer's fault (you can thank all your friends who were here telling people to do chargebacks for that)

Forcing customers to jump through hoops? Well that depends on what you mean by "jump through hoops". If by that you mean use a standardized OS, have a decent computer, and a decent internet connection, I don't think it's so much to ask for. Most gamers already have all these things.

Disregarding account hacks? How have they disregarded them? Security is your own responsibility, and Blizzard will "rollback" a hacked account if it's verified. It's just a ticket away.

On to your last point, blaming customers... this is just stupid. What are they blaming us for? The assassination of JFK? Failure to bring peace to the Middle East? What? This point just made no sense at all.

So, I suppose that, yes, I'd like to see some actual, empirical evidence of them "treating their customers like crap"
I always switch between Windows and Linux because of Blizzard. Why not, just start to support WINE emulator? Nowadays, people moving to Linux.
100 Undead Warlock
I'm just sad to see a company rather ban a group of people by their choice of OS, rather than work to solve the issue. It's much easier to just ban and forget it.
How many gullible idiots are on this forum?

Didn't you guys learn after the auction house dupe troll?
85 Orc Warrior
I have yet to see any of them lying, other than people around the forums twisting words and reading things into statements that aren't there, and then "Calling them out on it"

I'm fairly sure they haven't ignored negative criticism. They're making changes as we speak. Just because they didn't individually acknowledge every single complaint that every single player has made doesn't mean they're ignoring you.

They haven't disregarded anything. Just because someone told you "Blizz banned me, i didn't do anything wrong!!!" doesn't mean that they're telling you the truth. False positives occur from time to time, but they're the exception, not the rule. Not to mention, it's not a public matter, it's a matter between you and Blizzard, no one else.

Offering refunds to people who lost money? Are you kidding? Why would they do that? They didn't get take your money, the seller did. And, you don't get refunds from a bad stock purchase. You just lose the money. With regards to the cases of the sellers "losing money", they haven't lost anything. They just didn't get paid. Which is probably the buyer's fault (you can thank all your friends who were here telling people to do chargebacks for that)

Forcing customers to jump through hoops? Well that depends on what you mean by "jump through hoops". If by that you mean use a standardized OS, have a decent computer, and a decent internet connection, I don't think it's so much to ask for. Most gamers already have all these things.

Disregarding account hacks? How have they disregarded them? Security is your own responsibility, and Blizzard will "rollback" a hacked account if it's verified. It's just a ticket away.

On to your last point, blaming customers... this is just stupid. What are they blaming us for? The assassination of JFK? Failure to bring peace to the Middle East? What? This point just made no sense at all.

So, I suppose that, yes, I'd like to see some actual, empirical evidence of them "treating their customers like crap"

You got a little bit of brown on your nose there buddy. I suggest rather than sucking up to Blizzard in hopes that the forum administrators see it, you actually provide something constructive. Your type are a dime a dozen on these forums and it's starting to get very tiresome. Here's the deal, the Diablo franchise is 1 of Blizzard's "big 3", and it flopped. It's not because it's a bad game. It's not. People were expecting a triple A title, and they got something that is worthy of a 7/10. It's AVERAGE. Many flaws, in both customer service and in game. Rather than placing the blame of issues surrounding the game, how about you provide actual solutions without being a !@#$%^-? As far as banning Linux players? It sucks, because I was toying around with the idea of going full fledged linux and delete the windows partition on my hard drive. Guess that went out the window.
07/02/2012 11:44 PMPosted by Vortmoth
I'm just sad to see a company rather ban a group of people by their choice of OS, rather than work to solve the issue. It's much easier to just ban and forget it.

So you are calling Bashiok a liar? Because you posted multiple threads shortly after this one hit the posting cap that said "I need attention but don't want to acknowledge the response".
Edited by Digi#1915 on 7/2/2012 11:50 PM PDT
07/02/2012 11:47 PMPosted by Khog
You got a little bit of brown on your nose there buddy. I suggest rather than sucking up to Blizzard in hopes that the forum administrators see it, you actually provide something constructive. Your type are a dime a dozen on these forums and it's starting to get very tiresome. Here's the deal, the Diablo franchise is 1 of Blizzard's "big 3", and it flopped. It's not because it's a bad game. It's not. People were expecting a triple A title, and they got something that is worthy of a 7/10. It's AVERAGE. Many flaws, in both customer service and in game. Rather than placing the blame of issues surrounding the game, how about you provide actual solutions without being a !@#$%^-? As far as banning Linux players? It sucks, because I was toying around with the idea of going full fledged linux and delete the windows partition on my hard drive. Guess that went out the window.

What? This isn't any sort of response to what I said. I merely refuted the quoted points. I made no statement about the quality of the game at all. All I said was that they didn't treat their customers like crap, and backed it up.

So you are calling Bashiok a liar? Because you posted multiple threads shortly after this one hit the posting cap that said "I need attention but don't want to acknowledge the response".

Expecting people to read past the first few pages is asking a lot nowadays. They mostly just post once uninformed to get their "voice" heard and then never look at the thread again. Bashiok is looking into it and there have been other WINE users posting that they weren't banned.

http://www.reddit.com/r/technology/comments/vytrc/hate_to_break_it_to_you/

Different computers can produce different results though.
Edited by Helais#1736 on 7/2/2012 11:54 PM PDT
100 Undead Warlock
So you are calling Bashiok a liar? Because you posted multiple threads shortly after this one hit the cap before they extended it that said "I need attention but don't want to acknowledge the response".

I did, but to me it seemed like a party line. As I'm sure it did to a lot of people. I actually like Bashiok and most of his posts. It just seems like Blizz doesn't take care of their customers like they used to.

And the reason I posted two posts was on accident, I just thought it was interesting to see news of this somewhere other than the forums.
This thread just makes me hate this community. This mob mentality has just gone out of control. Take off your tinfoil hats and realise OP cheated. This has blown way out of proportion.
100 Orc Warrior
Blizz, just release Linux binaries.
If something can be compiled for Mac it's not tonnes of work to make it compile on Linux. Not to mention the stories of your already existing internal Linux client binaries.

You probably worry about library issues; either static link, bundle dynamic libraries, or simply release it without support and let the communities for each distro make special packages that include the library versions required for the binary you release. The community's will be all over that and get it working for their distro so long as you provide a binary that did work on some Linux install.

Also tell me, what OS runs your game servers? I somehow doubt it's Windows. If it's Linux/BSD you're using to run the servers that make you money, consider that perhaps it's time to give something back?
Edited by Korrode#6721 on 7/2/2012 11:57 PM PDT
Wine user still in active status here. Been seeing way to many of these threads since launch, looking out for them and all.

This dude is spouting off hearsay, we don't have any proof other than his word that he wasn't attempting to cheat.

Blizz CS denied an appeal, which probably means they have some sort of evidence.

Bashiok is aware of the previous issue with WINE and WOW, says "It's not a similar situation".

I feel like relaying circumstances relating to this individuals ban would help put out this fire, but I'm not sure how tightly wrapped said information is. Overblown.
07/02/2012 11:44 PMPosted by Vortmoth

I think you need to read the thread, particularly the blue comments. Blizzard's official stance on this issue is that they do not ban based on Linux use (although they do not officially support it); they ban for cheating. Whether or not that's entirely true remains to be seen, but for now, I'd rather believe the official stance of a company that's been entertaining me since I was a kid (and, by the way, offering respectful, diligent customer service when it's been required) than the raving mob with their torches and pitchforks.

From what I can tell (and I'm just an interested observer who, despite having loved Blizzard games for years, is on the fence about getting D3 because of all the negativity surrounding it), either this is an unfortuante error that will eventually be corrected, or the bans have been justly issued. I do not believe Blizzard would just sit on their hands and ignore their fans (who happen to be their paying customers, too) out of laziness. In my 14-year experience with Blizzard, they've shown me nothing but respect.

They'll pull through. I think everyone needs to just take a deep breath.
Yes yes, INCREDIBLE BUSINESS PLOY. Lets just take this Linux users and ban them all. Seems so legit.

If you guys believe in the above, which a good number of you do, get real. Shut up, and go home.

OP clearly cheated, why would Blizzard do this, they aren't the gestapo.
07/02/2012 11:53 PMPosted by Vortmoth
So you are calling Bashiok a liar? Because you posted multiple threads shortly after this one hit the cap before they extended it that said "I need attention but don't want to acknowledge the response".

I did, but to me it seemed like a party line. As I'm sure it did to a lot of people. I actually like Bashiok and most of his posts. It just seems like Blizz doesn't take care of their customers like they used to.

And the reason I posted two posts was on accident, I just thought it was interesting to see news of this somewhere other than the forums.

Name calling someone who is trying to help does nothing. If anything it just adds to the poor behavior and respect that the community has. People wonder why blue posts are so sparse. He showed up here and is trying to help/address the issue and gets viscously attacked by a e-mob. Do yourself a favor if you're not going to active contribute to the discussion just don't post.
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDMknqbh_3M
85 Tauren Druid
07/02/2012 11:53 PMPosted by Vortmoth

I don't think bashiok has any reason to claim running d3 under wine won't get you banned when it will. It seems more likely that they tried and failed to reproduce any problematic interaction between wine and warden, and until they can do so, there's no reason to believe the bans are mistakes.
100 Draenei Priest
I seem to have dodged the banhammer.. It's working fine on my end.

Slackware 13.37
Crossover Games 11.1.0

http://i.imgur.com/33Yxw.jpg
i use hackintosh, it is unsupported. i have wine compiled and use it. no ban here!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]