Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

07/02/2012 11:53 PMPosted by Dramacraft
This thread just makes me hate this community. This mob mentality has just gone out of control. Take off your tinfoil hats and realise OP cheated. This has blown way out of proportion.

It wasn't that obvious until Bashiok's response. Linux users don't always have it sunshine and roses. It happened on WoW (but was reversed) many years ago so it was a possibility.

And the reason I posted two posts was on accident, I just thought it was interesting to see news of this somewhere other than the forums.

My apologies then.
Edited by Digi#1915 on 7/2/2012 11:59 PM PDT
Just another text book PR excuse from Blizzard. Game companies and Fanbois are always going to blame the user no matter the evidence or how many people are having problems. Same situation with my XBOX Live getting hacked and most of my gamerscore stolen. M$ took no responsibility and the fanbois made it out like it was my fault. Fact was the points were taken and transfered, not spent on my account.
If they have evidence, they could end all this now by just making it public, even doing so here in this thread would effectively "douse" the flames, seeing as how this thread is being used as the source for certain gaming news sites.
100 Undead Warlock
07/02/2012 11:56 PMPosted by Fingolfin
I'm just sad to see a company rather ban a group of people by their choice of OS, rather than work to solve the issue. It's much easier to just ban and forget it.

I think you need to read the thread, particularly the blue comments. Blizzard's official stance on this issue is that they do not ban based on Linux use (although they do not officially support it); they ban for cheating. Whether or not that's entirely true remains to be seen, but for now, I'd rather believe the official stance of a company that's been entertaining me since I was a kid (and, by the way, offering respectful, diligent customer service when it's been required) than the raving mob with their torches and pitchforks.

From what I can tell (and I'm just an interested observer who, despite having loved Blizzard games for years, is on the fence about getting D3 because of all the negativity surrounding it), either this is an unfortuante error that will eventually be corrected, or the bans have been justly issued. I do not believe Blizzard would just sit on their hands and ignore their fans (who happen to be their paying customers, too) out of laziness. In my 14-year experience with Blizzard, they've shown me nothing but respect.

They'll pull through. I think everyone needs to just take a deep breath.

I'd hope not as well. I've never had a bad experience with Blizz CS in the years I've played. But this entire D3 launch and game has left many of us with a bad taste in our mouths ,and unfortunately a distrusting opinion of the company that we've always loved.
95 Worgen Rogue
Yeah, we get it, you were hacking and got caught but had to scramble for an excuse. WE KNOW.
90 Human Warrior
Yes yes, INCREDIBLE BUSINESS PLOY. Lets just take this Linux users and ban them all. Seems so legit.

If you guys believe in the above, which a good number of you do, get real. Shut up, and go home.

OP clearly cheated, why would Blizzard do this, they aren't the gestapo.

Just as a side note - the OP never got banned. He was "outraged" by something that happened to someone else.

Apparently he's going to play D3 on WINE now and see if he gets banned (no word back yet).
07/02/2012 11:59 PMPosted by Ironlord
If they have evidence, they could end all this now by just making it public, even doing so here in this thread would effectively "douse" the flames, seeing as how this thread is being used as the source for certain gaming news sites.

They don't share account information with anyone, ever. It's not your business what happens with the accounts of others. It's between the account holder and Blizzard.
Community Manager
I wonder how much Bashiok gets paid for all these half-assed responses he gives the community. Instead of using one-liners and posting in the form of a 12 year old troll given admin rights, maybe, just MAYBE, you could provide EVIDENCE that proves the OP is wrong.

How is it you can bash customers and their topics, ask for evidence, but provide none yourself other than the pure fact that you sir are an !@#.

I hope you are one of the first to get laid off when Vivendi sells your crap company to whoever the hell wants it.

Oh. Well I'm not sure which one of my responses wasn't helpful, but I appreciate the feedback.

It's company policy not to discuss account actions with anyone but the account holder, or their legal guardian if applicable. It's an issue between us and them. Trust me, it'd be much easier on me to just post exactly what they did, but we feel it's important to honor the privacy of our customers, and that's a policy I personally agree with.
Blizz, just release Linux binaries.
If something can be compiled for Mac it's not tonnes of work to make it compile on Linux. Not to mention the stories of your already existing internal Linux client binaries.

You probably worry about library issues; either static link, bundle dynamic libraries, or simply release it without support and let the communities for each distro make special packages that include the library versions required for the binary you release. The community's will be all over that and get it working for their distro so long as you provide a binary that did work on some Linux install.

Also tell me, what OS runs your game servers? I somehow doubt it's Windows. If it's Linux/BSD your using to run the servers that make you money, consider that perhaps it's time to give something back?

They are honestly so unprepared and understaffed for the release of this game from CS, GMs, office personal, programmers to management it should be criminal. You are honestly lucky at all you even get responses from a blizz employee. I doubt you will see anything of the sort any time soon until they manage to get more space and more people.
07/03/2012 12:00 AMPosted by Fauxpaw
Yeah, we get it, you were hacking and got caught but had to scramble for an excuse. WE KNOW.

That's an ignorant reply, you can't know the whole story. If blizz shows evidence that he was cheating, i'd be more inclined to believe them. As of now however i am inclined to believe the user.
Cheaters trying to unban their accounts for the wrong reasons and blame Blizzard. You guys are pathetic.
90 Human Warrior
We’ve extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly. We’ve not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings.

Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

Although I do not currently game using Wine, I have in the past. Even though your support of Linux and BSD is only cursory and is probably only offered to avoid the PR nightmare of an Internet Sh*tstorm, I still appreciate you guys taking the time to test Wine+Linux/BSD configurations for Warden false positives.
Edited by Feritas#1968 on 7/3/2012 12:06 AM PDT
94 Night Elf Druid
07/02/2012 10:40 PMPosted by Bashiok
Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned – cheating will.

And Kripp and Krippi weren't the first to clear. I doubt this is the end of this issue.
07/02/2012 11:59 PMPosted by Ironlord

It really wouldn't people will continue to believe whatever they want to believe. Look at the AH affecting drop % rumor that was addressed by one of the lead developers

Wyatt Cheng: The auction house has absolutely no effect on drop rates. There are conspiracy theories and misunderstandings, but I do want to re-iterate: there is NO interaction whatsoever. Bashiok mentioned earlier that we took the AH into account, so let me expand a little bit on that.
The drop rates were tuned for a player who would never use the Auction House.
For the majority of internal development, we didn't have an Auction House, and we all played using our own drops only. I've personally leveled multiple characters from 1 to 60 internally before the game came out using only drops that I found -- we all did.

People still quote articles on no name sites as proof of some conspiracy.
90 Human Paladin
07/02/2012 10:45 PMPosted by Hatsune
In Blizzard we trust, not some WINE trolls.

The ignorance is strong in this one.
Wife and I play happily on Fedora under Wine. No problems yet, game's smooth as butter.

I'd be choked if I were banned for nothing more than playing in a non-standard environment, but I'll save the rageposting until it actually happens. Fortunately the store I bought the game from accepts returns. I'd be sad to be forced to take it back.

Good to see blue posts affirming that Tux isn't the enemy here :)
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]