Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

07/02/2012 11:59 PMPosted by Vortmoth
I'd hope not as well. I've never had a bad experience with Blizz CS in the years I've played. But this entire D3 launch and game has left many of us with a bad taste in our mouths ,and unfortunately a distrusting opinion of the company that we've always loved.

I'm sorry to hear that... It definitely shows. Lots of angry people on these forums. I'm looking forward to getting D3 and drawing my own conclusions...
I don't get why people are defending this without any REAL evidence. Of course that would be hard to prove. The only way I can think of would be logging in on Windows, swithcing to Linux, logging, and then getting banned mid-game and showing what programs are running in the same live-stream............obviously not a plausible thing to do to show evidence. It is however, very likely that the few people actually using Linux AND getting banned, are botting or something. It is a very small number of people complaining after all.
Having the software to cheat and actually using the software to cheat is like saying everybody who owns a gun is responsible for each and every murder, it does not make sense whatsoever. To have a program which COULD be used to cheat, even though it COULD be used to simply run a game (from the previous example, murder with a firearm compared to hunting with a rifle) and to ban for both cases alike is absolutely ridiculous, and if Blizzard doesn't change their position on this it speaks volumes about where they are as both a developer of games and as a company as a whole.
07/03/2012 12:03 AMPosted by Evolution
-Not offering refunds to those who lost money on the RMAH

Would you expect to lose money by playing around in the share market? Don't give credit cards to children, problem solved.

Running a dual boot has been easy since XP, I've got 3 OS's running on this pc on different partitions and hard drives and have never had an issue.

The problem is that, running software that is very similar to virtual machines, can be abused to run multiple instances of the game... or hundreds of instances... now I won't mention botters, but I think we all know the other parties that use similar software.

Sir, I believe you should have read my post. You and I agree.
07/03/2012 12:08 AMPosted by Kougeru
I don't get why people are defending this without any REAL evidence. Of course that would be hard to prove. The only way I can think of would be logging in on Windows, swithcing to Linux, logging, and then getting banned mid-game and showing what programs are running in the same live-stream............obviously not a plausible thing to do to show evidence. It is however, very likely that the few people actually using Linux AND getting banned, are botting or something. It is a very small number of people complaining after all.

Welcome to the internet where you don't need proof only an internet connection. Theres already been numerous claims in this thread of people not getting banned. However, this does not entirely invalidate the original issue it simply shows that it is not a wide spread problem like people would like to believe it is.
07/02/2012 09:47 PMPosted by lin
If it is possible for WINE to be used as a malicious hack of some sort, then I can understand their reasoning.

It's just as possible as Windows being used as a malicious hack, so I guess they should ban that too just to be sure.

Well from the point of view I'm coming from, I'm thinking of those gameboy emulators. You can fast forward the game and load in cheats. You can't really make Windows do that to my knowledge, you install things on it which do that. WINE would be able to install the same things, but could itself be a potential malicious tool. Like I said however, I don't use Linux or WINE, and thus do not fully understand the topic at hand. I'm not saying everyone using WINE uses it for those purposes, but if it is possible then I can understand Blizzards reasoning, as stupid as it may be.
Edited by SynthDark#2983 on 7/3/2012 12:12 AM PDT
07/02/2012 01:57 PMPosted by Chili
So linux is not supported, you go ahead and play using linux, you get banned, you act surprised?

you reak of stupid.

Other places:
http://www.reddit.com/r/diablo3/comments/vf9ts/just_got_banned_for_unapproved_third_party/ -- also talks of WoW bannings

http://www.playonlinux.com/en/commentaires-1068.html

These are also from weeks ago. It's just odd that if the idea is to blame Wine for their cheating infractions -- not something that's ever very common.

Though, as I said, it is possible, I don't know I am not the one who is banned. Just wanted to bring some attention to it.

Sorry for the hyperbolic statistic, just very weird situation.

What's even stranger is that name of the one of the posters in the WINE thread is the same person that originated both of the threads you linked......

That really seems like it's one guy who either
A) Messed around with a bot, got banned, regrets it
B) Wants to start a giant flamewar (success!)
or both of the above

Or maybe you're all right and the guys at Blizz just love lying and being negligent because they've seen the short-fuse militant whinyness of their "fans" and want some more terrible piblicity to get top thread on reddit like it always will when people with no solid information try to form strong opinions for a few hours. That's probably it...
Edited by MrShindig#1492 on 7/3/2012 12:13 AM PDT
85 Draenei Priest
07/03/2012 12:11 AMPosted by SynthDark

It's just as possible as Windows being used as a malicious hack, so I guess they should ban that too just to be sure.

Well from the point of view I'm coming from, I'm thinking of those gameboy emulators. You can fast forward the game and load in cheats. You can't really make Windows do that to my knowledge, you install things on it which do that. WINE would be able to install the same things, but could itself be a potential malicious tool. Like I said however, I don't use Linux or WINE, and thus do not fully understand the topic at hand. I'm not saying everyone using WINE uses it for those purposes, but if it is possible then I can understand Blizzards reasoning, as stupid as it may be.

You can't do those things.. It isn't any easier to cheat/bot in Wine than it is in regular Windows.

WINE isn't the same thing as a game console emulator, other than in it's most basic function (which is to emulate the environment native to whatever it's emulating). And we can be fairly certain that the people who work for Blizzard fully understand the difference.
85 Tauren Druid
Well from the point of view I'm coming from, I'm thinking of those gameboy emulators. You can fast forward the game and load in cheats.

Those gameboy emulators are simulating the z80, and tend to be a lot lower level. All wine really does is implement the function calls windows uses, and provides a pecoff loader in linux. It doesn't do any cpu simulation (no need to). As such, it's quite a bit less powerful. It doesn't do anything until you call a windows api function.

I think you need to read about WINE a bit.

http://wiki.winehq.org/Debunking_Wine_Myths#head-a97295d7364a2a87f5769eeff9b5105b61b85761

It's not an emulator in the sense your thinking.
I am not banned yet but I will not play anymore..
Blizzard became stupid like the rest of the companies. Good there is still ArenaNet the whole d3 is a !@#$ing joke and bans because of playing using wine ? if they have issues with cheating make it not possible to cheat but no they made the most DUMB and mechanical game ever just clicking and grinding and looting and expect people not to cheat ? Sure gamers fault because playing on Linux. Btw it is possible to run Wine on windows itself. So basically I can run maybe diablo3 on windows with wine then I will be ok with all EULA craps and will play on supported platform so how blizzard will ban me ? I want my money back !
85 Tauren Druid
07/03/2012 12:15 AMPosted by JOKe
if they have issues with cheating make it not possible to cheat

Unless 100% of all processing happens on the server, this isn't going to happen, and that's too slow to be practical. Even mmo's don't typically do that.
I have an anecdote to tell about the WoW mass-ban incident.

I was part of the Cedega (remember Cedega, folks?) beta team back then, and spent an unhealthy amount of time on the IRC channel doing community support for the product I loved.

As soon as the incident hit the news and it became known that there was a way to get unbanned, we were zerged by countless people trying to scam their way back from their exile, trying to appeal to our supposed "things should be free, man" attitude, playing all the mind games envisionable.

All of them failed, of course, as Cedega was a paid subscription service, for which the powers that be had already interacted with Blue on resolving the cases involving real subscribers.

There's nothing more satisfying than to ban cheaters, especially if you get to trick them into admitting guilt.

If there's one thing one is to remember about cheaters and hackers, is that they can and will do anything to achieve whatever they want, and that you cannot really trust anything they say or do.
07/02/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Harteman
So the problem is you are using linux for gaming and you are having issues? Really??

l2read.. it helps
Blizzard became stupid like the rest of the companies. Good there is still ArenaNet the whole d3 is a !@#$ing joke and bans because of playing using wine ? if they have issues with cheating make it not possible to cheat but no they made the most DUMB and mechanical game ever just clicking and grinding and looting and expect people not to cheat ? Sure gamers fault because playing on Linux. Btw it is possible to run Wine on windows itself. So basically I can run maybe diablo3 on windows with wine then I will be ok with all EULA craps and will play on supported platform so how blizzard will ban me ? I want my money back !

The bans due to using WINE is currently a rumor and looking more like someone cheating more and more.

Clicking and grinding are staples of the diablo franchise.

The rest of your post is just completely uninformed so good luck with that.
I really have mixed feelings every time I read a thread full of challengers, goldies, and act 3 heroes.

I lament the stupidity and woeful letdown of the education system of the western world.

But I do love the ignorant, Dunning-Kruger effect fueled morons seething in a rage.

Torn. Truly.
90 Human Warrior
Blizzard became stupid like the rest of the companies. Good there is still ArenaNet the whole d3 is a[] joke and bans because of playing using wine ? if they have issues with cheating make it not possible to cheat but no they made the most DUMB and mechanical game ever just clicking and grinding and looting and expect people not to cheat ? Sure gamers fault because playing on Linux. Btw it is possible to run Wine on windows itself. So basically I can run maybe diablo3 on windows with wine then I will be ok with all EULA craps and will play on supported platform so how blizzard will ban me ? I want my money back !

The bans due to using WINE is currently a rumor and looking more like someone cheating more and more.

Clicking and grinding are staples of the diablo franchise.

The rest of your post is just completely uninformed so good luck with that.

He's yet another person who has read the blue post, skimmed a couple more and thinks he knows what's going on. I'll bet he actually thinks the OP was banned as well.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]