Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

07/03/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Herbburglar
if they have issues with cheating make it not possible to cheat

Unless 100% of all processing happens on the server, this isn't going to happen, and that's too slow to be practical. Even mmo's don't typically do that.

Sure but one thing is cheating which they can detect on server side how the player acts strange drops a lot of kills fast clicks and etc, and one thing is to start a third party app which have nothing to do with his gaming experience. Next thing is if I watch !@#$ on youtube maybe I will get banned because you see it is not possible to play diablo and watch %^-* or maybe if I have started LOL and d3 at same time I will get banned because you see why I am chatting in LOL when I can chat in diablo and why i am logged in when I am playing something else... this is stupid the VENDORS should not BAN gamers because of third party apps. They can make them impossible to use but the whole banning is crap
85 Troll Priest
07/03/2012 12:02 AMPosted by Bashiok
It's company policy not to discuss account actions with anyone but the account holder, or their legal guardian if applicable. It's an issue between us and them. Trust me, it'd be much easier on me to just post exactly what they did, but we feel it's important to honor the privacy of our customers, and that's a policy I personally agree with.

Can you not even discuss them in the third person? As in the case of "For example, one WINE user was using botting program X he wrote himself, so that's that."?

Yes your first reply said that WINE usage was not the thing getting them banned, and perhaps this implies other things, but I think the forum posters here would be happy with a concrete example, even if anonymous.

If you're not allowed to even post that by company policies, then I'm extremely confused and against that, because 3rd-person disclosure is acceptable in just about every industry including Jurisprudence and Taxation.
Edited by Jurisnoctis#1910 on 7/3/2012 12:25 AM PDT
07/03/2012 12:22 AMPosted by JOKe
They can make them impossible to use but the whole banning is crap

They do make them impossible to use. They ban you.

Banning is only crap if you're on the wrong side, and chances are, if you're on the wrong side, there's a reason for it.

The bans due to using WINE is currently a rumor and looking more like someone cheating more and more.

Clicking and grinding are staples of the diablo franchise.

The rest of your post is just completely uninformed so good luck with that.

He's yet another person who has read the blue post, skimmed a couple more and thinks he knows what's going on. I'll bet he actually thinks the OP was banned as well.

He wasn't he is simply responding to something he read.
Hes actively testing it now with WINE as well now.

I reread what you posted and I see you weren't talking about me. My apologies. I removed my snarky comment.
Edited by Helais#1736 on 7/3/2012 12:52 AM PDT
85 Tauren Druid

Sure but one thing is cheating which they can detect on server side how the player acts strange drops a lot of kills fast clicks and etc, and one thing is to start a third party app which have nothing to do with his gaming experience.

They don't ban for using wine, they ban for cheating. If there's a fp in warden, they've been unable to reproduce it thus far.
07/03/2012 12:22 AMPosted by JOKe

Unless 100% of all processing happens on the server, this isn't going to happen, and that's too slow to be practical. Even mmo's don't typically do that.

Sure but one thing is cheating which they can detect on server side how the player acts strange drops a lot of kills fast clicks and etc, and one thing is to start a third party app which have nothing to do with his gaming experience. Next thing is if I watch !@#$ on youtube maybe I will get banned because you see it is not possible to play diablo and watch %^-* or maybe if I have started LOL and d3 at same time I will get banned because you see why I am chatting in LOL when I can chat in diablo and why i am logged in when I am playing something else... this is stupid the VENDORS should not BAN gamers because of third party apps. They can make them impossible to use but the whole banning is crap

They 3rd party stuff has to give an advantage. Can't imagine playing LoL is gonna meet that criteria.
07/03/2012 12:24 AMPosted by Jurisnoctis
It's company policy not to discuss account actions with anyone but the account holder, or their legal guardian if applicable. It's an issue between us and them. Trust me, it'd be much easier on me to just post exactly what they did, but we feel it's important to honor the privacy of our customers, and that's a policy I personally agree with.

Can you not even discuss them in the third person? As in the case of "For example, one WINE user was using botting program X he wrote himself, so that's that."?

Yes your first reply said that WINE usage was not the thing getting them banned, and perhaps this implies other things, but I think the forum posters here would be happy with a concrete example, even if anonymous.

If you're not allowed to even post that by company policies, then I'm extremely confused and against that, because 3rd-person disclosure is acceptable in just about every industry including Jurisprudence and Taxation.

I second this statement.
07/03/2012 12:25 AMPosted by Bannicil
They can make them impossible to use but the whole banning is crap

They do make them impossible to use. They ban you.

Banning is only crap if you're on the wrong side, and chances are, if you're on the wrong side, there's a reason for it.

If I get banned from a singleplayer stupid game that requires multiplayer to play and if they STOP me to play for some reason I want my money back.

it is like buying a car and after 3 months they told you, sorry but you cannot drive it anymore just watch it but dont worry it will stay in your house we will just remove the engine it is still yours
Does this mean i get banned if i keep playing WoW or SC2 on linux ??
07/03/2012 12:35 AMPosted by Suu

99% that you won't. It hasn't been confirmed what the actual reason for the banning is and people are just blowing it out of proportions.
So banned for not cheating but it's okay. If they are allowed to revoke their license for this, they should say, "hey, you run linux and we're not cool with that, you will get banned" but they don't...

They run either FreeBSD or GNU/Linux for their servers but their customers can't use it. It's only good because it's free...

!@#$ that, %^-* them, they will hear from a lawyer if they stick to this bull!@#$.

How did you get that from his post? He stated afterward that they have the evidence of cheating for those accounts that were banned, but it is against their policy to share the details of the bans, including the evidence that they were cheating, with anyone other than the account holder.
07/03/2012 12:02 AMPosted by Ironlord
Yeah, we get it, you were hacking and got caught but had to scramble for an excuse. WE KNOW.

That's an ignorant reply, you can't know the whole story. If blizz shows evidence that he was cheating, i'd be more inclined to believe them. As of now however i am inclined to believe the user.

You're more likely to believe a random person that you don't know and can't judge their honesty than you are to believe Blizzard who actually has no reason to lie to you? If Bashiok is mistaken that's one thing, as he was mistaken with the world first Inferno clear and he admitted that he was mistaken a couple hours later, apologized for the confusion, and congratulated the people who got the first clear. So far he hasn't outright lied about anything though. Being mistaken and lying are two different things.

You're expecting the impossible from Blizzard though. They can't give you proof without violating someone's privacy. They can't say "Well in this specific instance we banned X user for Y, not because of Linux."
Botters make Blizzard money, Linux users should have been running Windows and hacking!

Seriously though, that is pretty terrible of Blizz and I hope you get your !@#$ running again.
Just saying....

there are 50-100+ (dont have an accurate number) of different linux distributions, and COUNTLESS hardware configurations, which sometimes can act up and require certain steps to get the hardware running properly (i.e. installing other drivers, packages...)

I would bet a whole lot of money on the fact, that the "extensive testing" blizz did, didnt even cover 10% of the possible linux configuration people are running.
90 Human Warrior
Botters make Blizzard money, Linux users should have been running Windows and hacking!

Seriously though, that is pretty terrible of Blizz and I hope you get your[] running again.

OP.

Didn't.

Get.

Banned.

Seriously, where the hell are you people getting this information?
07/03/2012 12:39 AMPosted by Helais

99% that you won't. It hasn't been confirmed what the actual reason for the banning is and people are just blowing it out of proportions.

Okay thanks! Nothing worse (except getting hacked) if you can't logon and your raidteam is waiting for you :)
07/03/2012 12:43 AMPosted by panda

That's an ignorant reply, you can't know the whole story. If blizz shows evidence that he was cheating, i'd be more inclined to believe them. As of now however i am inclined to believe the user.

You're more likely to believe a random person that you don't know and can't judge their honesty than you are to believe Blizzard who actually has no reason to lie to you? If Bashiok is mistaken that's one thing, as he was mistaken with the world first Inferno clear and he admitted that he was mistaken a couple hours later, apologized for the confusion, and congratulated the people who got the first clear. So far he hasn't outright lied about anything though. Being mistaken and lying are two different things.

You're expecting the impossible from Blizzard though. They can't give you proof without violating someone's privacy. They can't say "Well in this specific instance we banned X user for Y, not because of Linux."

They have a pretty good reason to lie about it, Look at the commotion it has caused tonight, and now i've seen a couple gaming news sources pick it up, sourcing this thread. I'm not saying they are but atleast saying that a WINE user was banned for using this exploit, or this hack, or this bot would be nice. I never said he lied, all i said is i'm more inclined to believe these users that claim they have been banned for nothing more then using WINE (a third party program) which is a believable circumstance. I'm not asking for a specific instance, just more of "we banned a wine user for Y. Not because of linux." Once again, I'm not on either side of the fence, i'd only like some sort of proof, anything in blizzards favor will satisfy me, but i will not blindly bash the people making these claims, or defend blizzard like some people in here. I have always believed Linux should be fully supported by developers, and if there has been a wrong doing here it should be corrected. If it was justified there are ways to show evidence without sacrificing privacy.

Seriously though, that is pretty terrible of Blizz and I hope you get your[] running again.

OP.

Didn't.

Get.

Banned.

Seriously, where the hell are you people getting this information?

Can't read thread must post opinion!..... >.>

Its happening more and more. People will simply read one thing and form an opinion from it.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]