Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

07/02/2012 02:04 PMPosted by !@#$ity
Unsupported just means if you call and complain about bugs in-game they won't be able to help you.... banning people would be under unACCEPTABLE OS, which is not the case.

So, there is a bug in their cheat detection system which classifies linux as a malicious third party software and it auto-bans you. What now?
85 Night Elf Druid
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5912673632

It starts off dodgy with the 40 friend simultaneous ban, but if you go through it you will see the explanations to the mem space issues.
90 Blood Elf Priest
Vex
07/02/2012 01:57 PMPosted by Chili
So linux is not supported, you go ahead and play using linux, you get banned, you act surprised?

Not supported is not the same as illegal. Fricken idiot.
07/02/2012 02:19 PMPosted by Warsaw

Starcraft 2 has worked on Wine since the beta....

That's a system survey about obtaining hardware information?

Yes, and I was suprised it could last a whole week.
Just referencing a old Knowledge Base item stating that Linux is not supported. Thus, Blizzard does not have to make there game work with Linux. Bigger issue is them not allowing me to use my Amiga500 to play D3...

The key point was that they ban players for being able to... not that they don't support it. Blizzard has never supported Linux, but SC2 and WoW run perfectly.
If movies have taught us anything, its that anyone not running Windows OS is a dirty, filthy hacker. Sure, every so often they might upload a virus written on a MAC to an alien mothership and save the human race from obliteration, but that only happens rarely.
90 Human Rogue

Yes, and I was suprised it could last a whole week.
Just referencing a old Knowledge Base item stating that Linux is not supported. Thus, Blizzard does not have to make there game work with Linux. Bigger issue is them not allowing me to use my Amiga500 to play D3...

The key point was that they ban players for being able to... not that they don't support it. Blizzard has never supported Linux, but SC2 and WoW run perfectly.

I can see your point. But I have to go back to the issue that if Blizzard can not commit to having D3 run as it is suppsed to on Linux, not allowing people to play who do use Linux might be the only resolution at this time.
- Maybe they found that most third party programs are running in Linux
- Or there is an issue with account security when people run Linux etc. etc

Now, as you pointed out, it does not say you can't use Linux, only that it is not supported, so I do feel that anyone banned for using Linux should get a refund. BUT not sure how one can prove it was only because of Linux usage.

I can see your point. But I have to go back to the issue that if Blizzard can not commit to having D3 run as it is suppsed to on Linux, not allowing people to play who do use Linux might be the only resolution at this time.
- Maybe they found that most third party programs are running in Linux
- Or there is an issue with account security when people run Linux etc. etc

Now, as you pointed out, it does not say you can't use Linux, only that it is not supported, so I do feel that anyone banned for using Linux should get a refund. BUT not sure how one can prove it was only because of Linux usage.

The Warden logs (if it actually is competent) should say what it detected. As someone said earlier, this happened with WoW's Warden a while back and they ended up reversing the decision when enough attention was given to the matter.
Bump for all the frustrated Linux users.
07/02/2012 02:55 PMPosted by Shamrox
Bump for all the frustrated Linux users.
07/02/2012 03:05 PMPosted by PMurph
aren't you thankful? - Bashiok

Not really
07/02/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Harteman
So the problem is you are using linux for gaming and you are having issues? Really??

No. The problem is Blizzard is BANNING Linux users.
07/02/2012 02:03 PMPosted by MaggotBrain
Umm.. You are running the game in an emulator. It is possible to use that mechanism to cheat. Linux is not supported by the game, so basically you are someone who uses unsupported third party software which can be used to cheat. There isn't anything mysterious about the ban.

Wine stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator". It's actually just an open source implementation of the Windows API. So there should be theoretically no difference, except that one is free.

Open source windows? No way to really track things? Sounds bannable to me.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]