Diablo® III

Banning Linux Users For Using Linux...Really?

"Third party software was found" not WHAT third party this is or what this 3rd party software was supposed to have done

"We found that you were using X bot in this manner, and that's why you got banned"

They don't tell you this because then you know exactly how and why you got banned, and it defeats the purpose of booting the botter, because then they know how to get around that kind of ban.

Where is the harm in telling them on the SECOND support ticket they write, (i believe a caught botter wouldnt bother writing 2 tickets, cause he knows why he was banned)

"Your account was banned for using a bot that automizes certain parts of the game."
^
i still dont see where the harm in there is and how that would help botters not getting caught the next time?
Edited by brogo#2717 on 7/3/2012 1:22 AM PDT
Yeah. At the very least I agree with above poster. They need to start telling people who wrote to them explicitly about their account closure in the reply.

That way people know exactly at least why the got banned - although sometimes the judgement isn't correct.

CS responses posted on the wine forum

"Third party software was found" not WHAT third party this is or what this 3rd party software was supposed to have done

^

IF they ban some1, they should at least have the decency to tell them exactly why.

"we found 3rd party software on your computer, thats why u got banned and now gtfo" does NOT qualify for that imo..

wait... so if blizzard have not specified exactly what piece of software was responsible for the ban, how can you be sure WINE is responsible?
you cant. your just making assumptions based on what the people banned have in common.
and i doubt these people would openly say they all shared cheating hacks in common

I am in no point sure, dont get me wrong. All im saying is, from the statements blizzard gave so far, u CANT be sure thats its not related to wine either.

wine users have been banned by warden before, that is fact.

and im saying that people here writing: "im have been running d3 on fedora/distri XY and have not been banned. so those ppl MUST BE lying and HAVE cheated"

are plainly stupid and have not the slightest idea about how many different linux distris and hardware configurations are out there.

and MAYBE a certain linux-hardware-software configuration led warden to believe they are using 3rd party software, which COULD very well be the case here
85 Human Paladin
Clearly I see a lot of raging on this thread.
As much as I hate blizzard's stellar customer support I'll have to agree on them for this point.

Three people having an issue on this case doesn't constitute an unnecessary ban. For all we, the unsuspecting trolls attempting to gain attention, know the OP and all of the people claiming to have been affected by this somehow were hacking or exploiting D3 in some way.

If 10, 20, or even 50 people had an issue they might bother looking into it but not for 3 people. 3 people for a company that serves for millions doesn't affect them that much.

So please, wave around your resume a little more saying you've worked for a major video game company, have dealt with this crap for years, and know exactly what the OP or those affected are having an issue with and tell blizzard how to run their company a little more.

As for Bashiok, I think he has a few reasons to sit here trolling you for a bit before sauntering off to whatever post catches his eyes again. Only to continue being the "big bad mod" who clearly never does anything for the majority of blizzard players. If you don't like it go play some !@#$ty F2P mmo off steam or something.

wait... so if blizzard have not specified exactly what piece of software was responsible for the ban, how can you be sure WINE is responsible?
you cant. your just making assumptions based on what the people banned have in common.
and i doubt these people would openly say they all shared cheating hacks in common

I am in no point sure, dont get me wrong. All im saying is, from the statements blizzard gave so far, u CANT be sure thats its not related to wine either.

wine users have been banned by warden before, that is fact.

and im saying that people here writing: "im have been running d3 on fedora/distri XY and have not been banned. so those ppl MUST BE lying and HAVE cheated"

are plainly stupid and have not the slightest idea about how many different linux distris and hardware configurations are out there.

and MAYBE a certain linux-hardware-software configuration led warden to believe they are using 3rd party software, which COULD very well be the case here

Wouldn't WINE still behave the same?
07/03/2012 12:02 AMPosted by Bashiok
Trust me, it'd be much easier on me to just post exactly what they did

I don't trust you. I don't have a reason to trust you. You are the mouth of Sauron to me.

I want proof that all of those people were cheating, until than you are just trying to save face
not being mean but you have no clue what you're talking about. <3, don't hate me... you're really not smart.

What? I'm pretty sure I have a good idea what I'm talking about. You're just a jerk. I told him why they don't share that information. How am I wrong? Do share.
I think you need to stop W(h)INEing
Cheaters got banned and then say they were wrongly banned. This is a NEW strategy that will surely work lol
Lets see it plain and simple: Linux is an unsupported OS. Yes, it is an OS and you can say it isn't just some other 3rd party software. It isn't the 2nd most popular. As Mac OS X is more popular than it.

By checking web site traffic to see how common / uncommon Linux is, about 1% of people uses it, and even less use it for gaming. Why? Because Linux isn't good enough for most people. Many users tried it, burned by it, uninstalled it, and stays away from it. For Blizzard supporting Linux isn't feasible.

But you not only use Linux, you also use Wine. Warden, the anti-cheat system used by Blizzard scans your whole system, trying to find software running on your PC. If you use Wine, most of your processes are invisible to Warden. No way to find what linux based software are running, and how you try to analyze packet data, how you are trying to macro / bot. So by use of 3rd party program you manage to avoid scanning functions of Warden.

But this isn't all. Wine is bugous, as people speak about "Hiccup" with memory allocation. And it looks like someone accesses the memory used by Diablo 3. They said on detecting anything like that they will stick permanent ban to your account. It happens because of a Wine bug, and because they can't detect what else is running on your box, and if you have tampered with Wine or not, they have no way to detect if it is cheating or a hiccup.

So no way to "clear" your name, once Warden detected some unauthorized access to mem space used by Diablo 3. Why? Because due to limitations of Wine they can't detect what is going on. Either they would have to ban you permanently even if it was just a Wine bug, or they would have to let a lot of cheaters go.

As we know, due to RMAH they should play extra carefully, and they told you in advance, that in such incidents they will be very strict. Any 3rd party can get you banned. You used a 3rd party program that can be used to help with cheating and help to hide cheating tool, this program due to an issue in itself (memory allocation hiccup in Wine) triggered cheat detection and prevented Warden from seeing what happened. And Blizzard told in advance that in such cases they will ban.

End of story.
90 Human Warrior
Trust me, it'd be much easier on me to just post exactly what they did

I don't trust you. I don't have a reason to trust you. You are the mouth of Sauron to me.

I want proof that all of those people were cheating, until than you are just trying to save face

I want your proof that they didn't. Go on. Five minutes.

Five minutes (and change is up) - And nothing.
Edited by Baneus#1645 on 7/3/2012 1:45 AM PDT
As much as I hate blizzard's stellar customer support I'll have to agree on them for this point.

Three people having an issue on this case doesn't constitute an unnecessary ban. For all we, the unsuspecting trolls attempting to gain attention, know the OP and all of the people claiming to have been affected by this somehow were hacking or exploiting D3 in some way.

If 10, 20, or even 50 people had an issue they might bother looking into it but not for 3 people. 3 people for a company that serves for millions doesn't affect them that much.

So please, wave around your resume a little more saying you've worked for a major video game company, have dealt with this crap for years, and know exactly what the OP or those affected are having an issue with and tell blizzard how to run their company a little more.

As for Bashiok, I think he has a few reasons to sit here trolling you for a bit before sauntering off to whatever post catches his eyes again. Only to continue being the "big bad mod" who clearly never does anything for the majority of blizzard players. If you don't like it go play some !@#$ty F2P mmo off steam or something.

again some1 with no idea about linux and hardware....

ive 5 computers (2 pc's 3 laptops) here (not all mine ofc)

and i can GUARANTEE u that if i install:
1)the same linux distri on everyone of those machine, that i will get at least 5 different hardware parts that require certain drivers/packages to work
2)a different linux distri: the number of unsupported hardware and steps i have to go through to make it work, may well be higher

to get a computer running and everything single piece of hardware working under unix can mean A LOT of trouble.

=> there is 100.000s different linux configurations out there (probably just for ubuntu... counting other distris, the number would be WAY higher)

and that blizzards "extansive testing" sure as hell didnt cover all of those possibilities.

Blizz tested like 2 days and found no error and u guys srsly believe that there DEFINETLY is no error with certain configurations? <--LMFAO
Edited by brogo#2717 on 7/3/2012 1:36 AM PDT
Linux is an open source free operating system,

WINE is a way for you to run windows applications through linux.

Thanks for the answer...could this really be what's getting people banned? I didn't read through 32 pages to catch up but has anyone other than the OP been banned for just running linux?
WHile I Don't play Diablo, maybe the Linux/Wine users should be more specific.

Gvie Blizzard the version of WINE you use, your distribution, linux Kernel, Drivers and set up. :/ Just noticed a blue poster respond around page 22 I believe, just thought I'd be of help.

Or maybe if the issue exists, it's in a very specific moment in the game itself? Maybe it should be explained what it is you guys were doing too.

Unless of course cheats were involved ;P

Not sure if Blizzard still cares after 30ish pages though.

And even though Warden gets all the necessary information, isn't it possible for it to miss some information when used on Linux/WINE
Edited by Edogaa on 7/3/2012 1:46 AM PDT
Lets see it plain and simple: Linux is an unsupported OS. Yes, it is an OS and you can say it isn't just some other 3rd party software. It isn't the 2nd most popular. As Mac OS X is more popular than it.

By checking web site traffic to see how common / uncommon Linux is, about 1% of people uses it, and even less use it for gaming. Why? Because Linux isn't good enough for most people. Many users tried it, burned by it, uninstalled it, and stays away from it. For Blizzard supporting Linux isn't feasible.

But you not only use Linux, you also use Wine. Warden, the anti-cheat system used by Blizzard scans your whole system, trying to find software running on your PC. If you use Wine, most of your processes are invisible to Warden. No way to find what linux based software are running, and how you try to analyze packet data, how you are trying to macro / bot. So by use of 3rd party program you manage to avoid scanning functions of Warden.

But this isn't all. Wine is bugous, as people speak about "Hiccup" with memory allocation. And it looks like someone accesses the memory used by Diablo 3. They said on detecting anything like that they will stick permanent ban to your account. It happens because of a Wine bug, and because they can't detect what else is running on your box, and if you have tampered with Wine or not, they have no way to detect if it is cheating or a hiccup.

So no way to "clear" your name, once Warden detected some unauthorized access to mem space used by Diablo 3. Why? Because due to limitations of Wine they can't detect what is going on. Either they would have to ban you permanently even if it was just a Wine bug, or they would have to let a lot of cheaters go.

As we know, due to RMAH they should play extra carefully, and they told you in advance, that in such incidents they will be very strict. Any 3rd party can get you banned. You used a 3rd party program that can be used to help with cheating and help to hide cheating tool, this program due to an issue in itself (memory allocation hiccup in Wine) triggered cheat detection and prevented Warden from seeing what happened. And Blizzard told in advance that in such cases they will ban.

End of story.

I'd like to point out that linux still accounts for 6% of os, while osx accounts for 8%, if you can give support for 8% why not give support to 6%? if your curious about the rest, win7 accounts for 50%, and winxp 25%, 5% vista, rest mobile os's.
MVP
View profile
Won't believe what the developers say.

Won't believe what a CM says.

Definitely won't believe ANYTHING an MVP says EVER.

What will people believe?

again some1 with no idea about linux and hardware....

ive 5 computers (2 pc's 3 laptops) here (not all mine ofc)

and i can GUARANTEE u that if i install:
1)the same linux distri on everyone of those machine, that i will get at least 5 different hardware parts that require certain drivers/packages to work
2)a different linux distri: the number of unsupported hardware and steps i have to go through to make it work, may well be higher

to get a computer running and everything single piece of hardware working under unix can mean A LOT of trouble.

=> there is 100.000s different linux configurations out there (probably just for ubuntu... counting other distris, the number would be WAY higher)

and that blizzards "extansive testing" sure as hell didnt cover all of those possibilities.

Blizz tested like 2 days and found no error and u guys srsly believe that there DEFINETLY is no error with certain configurations? <--LMFAO

Blizzard has the configurations of the people they banned...

Also the linux end will be mostly hidden from warden because it will be run through WINE and it should appear as a window box to it.

(Someone correct be on the later statement if I'm wrong)
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]